Need Info On Variable Resistors.

Singularity

Hey everyone. I want to build a mod that has selectable voltages 3.7V-(6V or 7.4V). I am assuming this is done by adding a variable resistor. There are many types of resistors, see description, and I think I need a preset or rheostat as these types are produced to also handle smaller voltages that vaping devices utilize.

Does anyone know where I can get a variable resistor or what I need in particular to build a selectable voltage mod.

Also, I want to add selectable voltage to my tekk mod so if anyone knows what to add, please tell.

How many watts and ohms does it need to be rated, 10W maybe?

Oh yeah, if I'm entirely wrong and something else is used to accomplish this please correct me.

I just realized that when I said 10W I should have said 10ohms. Actually I think 5 would be better because even with an LR atty you could go up to 6.7ish ohms which is way too much. And where are all the replies I was hoping for, don't tell me I'll have to buy a voltage regulator.

How do I delete this post? I decided that even though a variable resistor should work to selectively drop down voltage between 6V-3.7V, and it is cheaper. An adjustable regulator would have the same effect, although more costly, but would also provide constant voltage even with the factor of battery drain. I guess I'll have to find one after all, I just can't seem to locate one small enough and with the proper ratings to be efficient.

Could anyone tell me where to get one?

I looked into doing a variable volt mod and found it easier to do a variable volt passthrough for use at home ,and regular batteries or mods away. http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/7749-perhaps-the-neatest-vaping-power-supply-mod-ever/ $15.00 plus a plastic box and some other stuff I had laying around.

Edited by mcquinn

How do I delete this post? I decided that even though a variable resistor should work to selectively drop down voltage between 6V-3.7V, and it is cheaper. An adjustable regulator would have the same effect, although more costly, but would also provide constant voltage even with the factor of battery drain. I guess I'll have to find one after all, I just can't seem to locate one small enough and with the proper ratings to be efficient.

Could anyone tell me where to get one?

That's incorrect. A variable resistor/rheostat that can handle a 3A load will be large and expensive.

This isn't going to be as easy as I thought. I imagined I could just solder the thing between the circuit board output and the atty connector. Does that thing have 5 pins, wth. Looks like I'm going to have to take a circuit analysis class or something.

if you are going to build a mod that is "Variable", using a resistor isn't going to cut it.

as you use power the voltage drops. if you are blocking 1v on 6v and the 6v drops to 5v you then have 4v.

this is fine if you are using a direct power source from something like usb but not for batteries.

I see, so variable resistors are not a good choice. I thought I found something cool from Ohmite but it does cost 12 dollars and like WillBlack said, it is kinda big, at least bigger than what you had found Jolly. After comparing the two, variable regulators would be a better choice. Thanks for all the help everyone.