Does Vaping Cause Sleeping Issues.

I had a week or two of less sleep about 6 weeks into vaping. Partly due to still being overly thrilled and excited about making the switch and partly due to too much nic for then. I cut back my nic level mg (cut it with same flavored 0nic) and shortly found sleep again. To me, the sleeplessness was my body's way of telling me that I could cut back on my nic mg anytime now and it will be just fine.

Well, still wrangling with the sleep issue that I've also "discovered" since I switched to vaping. Hell, it's 04:30 here, and I have classes at 11am. Though, on the upshot, I've discovered that I only seem to need a few hours sleep. That is, a few hours of sleep where my body isn't busy trying to figure out what to do with all the crap I put in it from tobacco smoke. I'm sure it'll even out as I adapt to the change, but man, I'm starting to wonder if "terminal boredom" shouldn't be added to the Merck Manual as an official medical condition. :blink:

Edited by xandalis

• 4 months later...

I have been having serious sleeping issues and the only think I can link it to is it started when I started vaping. I sometimes have trouble going to sleep, and if I do fall asleep, I wake up after 5 hrs and cannot go back to sleep, regardless of hour tired I am. Anyone else experience anything similar?

i am having the same problem going on almost a week now, but i cant tell if its from vapeing or from a stress issue in my world, but yeah, 5 hours is all the sleep i have been getting several nights in a row and im losing whats left of my sanity, which in turn is causing me to vape more... vicious cycle...

I wake up every hour, has nothing to do with vaping, it has to do with chronic pain. My sleep habits are absolutely no different now than they were when I smoked. My husband vapes the most after work, in the evening and falls asleep literally within a minute and is snoring within a couple minutes, same as ever.

When I used the NRT patches, THAT was an entirely different matter.....I did have VERY vivid dreams, although not naughty, they were just much more "real" seeming and I woke constantly. I do have more trouble sleeping when I am upset or nervous...naturally, from adrenalin, when going through anything stressful, or like at times when we have moved, I believe all from the same issue, being excited in general.

But no, I haven't had any issues with any change in sleeping habits since vaping. I found this regarding the patch.....

"Sleep disturbance almost always occurs in people who use the twenty-four hour patch. Since your mind is unaccustomed to receiving it while asleep, nicotine can cause strange effects, including vivid, colorful dreams and difficulty sleeping. Switching to the 16-hour patch helps avoid this problem, but it often can leave the user craving a cigarette when they wake in the morning."

This is from the American Heart Association regarding smoking....keeping in mind that supposedly there is far less nicotine inhaled during vaping.....

"How long does nicotine stay in the body?

From 85–90 percent of nicotine in the blood is metabolized by the liver and excreted from the kidney rapidly. The estimated half-life for nicotine in the blood is two hours. However, smoking represents a multiple dosing situation with considerable accumulation during smoking. Therefore, it can be expected that blood nicotine would persist at significant levels for six to eight hours after smoking stopped."

So realistically, if that is true, I can't see how vaping could cause any more of an issue than smoking. IF NOTHING else is different in your day to day life, nothing that would be causing excitement, nervousness or stress and the ONLY thing different is the vaping, then I would lower the nicotine. If there is a cumulative effect smoking nicotine, I would think it would be similar vaping it as well, so I don't think lowering it just before sleep would make that much difference.

Because I wake up so frequently all night long I usually vape during the times I am awake, especially if I am awake for like 10-15 minutes. However, once I am comfortable again I fall right asleep. I used to do the same with smoking....I would smoke when awake at night. But I smoked for so long, and so much, that I can't imagine I could possibly be getting any more nicotine while vaping, so maybe my body just totally isn't affected by the nicotine. During times I quit smoking and used NO NRTs I didn't sleep any differently. I have no problem sleeping after drinking coffee either though. I think my body is just totally accustomed to the stuff. Anyway, I would suggest cutting down on the nic level. Trying to cut down on the nic certainly won't hurt anything.

thanks Juliery, that was good info, im not exactly sure if the vapeing has anything at all to do with my insomnia or simply coincidence that my ex husband would stir up problems about the same time i started vapeing... this would not be the first time that stress has caused me sleep issues so that is most likely the case i think... and besides, its not that i cant get to sleep, its that i cant stay asleep, one would think it would be the opposite if it were from the nic levels in the e cig

(edited dyslexic typos, yikes)

Edited by easilyamused

thanks Juliery, that was good info, im not exactly sure if the vapeing has anything at all to do with my insomnia or simply coincidence that my ex husband would stir up problems about the same time i started vapeing... this would not be the first time that stress has caused me sleep issues so that is most likely the case i think... and besides, its not that i cant get to sleep, its that i cant stay asleep, one would think it would be the opposite if it were from the nic levels in the e cig

(edited dyslexic typos, yikes)

I am glad it helped you in some way. There is NOTHING that messes up my normal (although horrid) sleeping more than arguing or having stress with my husband, let alone an ex....but really any issue with parents or anyone. Mostly because I can't stop thinking about it, running it through my mind, etc. If you are ANYTHING like me, then that may very well be the bulk of the problem. BUT you could still try vaping a liquid with less nicotine like say starting 6 hours before you want to go to sleep, like late in the evening. When I am super tired I can fall asleep like instantly.....but like you said, STAYING asleep is another matter. Can't hurt to try. Plus if you are stressed or anxious, then maybe reducing the nicotine will help....even if it isn't the cause, at least it wouldn't be adding to the issue. BUT then try to pay attention that you aren't vaping more BECAUSE of the lower nic...that would sorta defeat the purpose, LOL. My thinking is that it never hurts to play around and try. If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything and can still vape the liquid anyway, assuming it is a flavor you like. BUT you COULD be waking up from your body craving the nicotine, but then I would think that would have happened while smoking too. Have you tried vaping when you wake up? Because then if that is the issue, then vaping would help the issue. I know vaping in the middle of the night, repeatedly actually, doesn't keep me awake. I just wake up constantly because I have to change position because of pain, but then sometimes I am so uncomfortable from however I had been laying that I can't go back to sleep right away because of the freaking pain, so then if I am awake I am vaping. Anyway, I would try different things and see if or what may help. If you are waking up anyway, I doubt the situation will get much worse. I hope you find something that works, or your ex stops causing stress and the whole thing stops!! Good luck! Have you tried maybe an herbal "sleepytime" type tea or anything? That might help.....never know.

lol and to make matter worse my husband is starting a new shift tomorrow where he will need to get up at 3 am, im thinking, great, just what i need is another thing to cause me to wake too early...

lower nic... mine are 11 to 18... i cant even imagine the liquids that have over 30... but perhaps i could get some 0 nic and dilute mine a bit

Good Morning Easilyamused and Juliery,

I started having sleep issues about three years ago. Chronic pain was part of the issue, life changes (woman thing) was another part, and PTS was another. I quit smoking back in 2004. OMG, when I quit cold turkey, I couldn't stay awake past 8:00 PM. My daughter was only 9 at the time (single parent)and I just prayed that she wouldn't burn the house down because I couldn't stay up until her bedtime at 9:00 PM. All I wanted to do was sleep. This lasted for about a month. That tells me that nicotine played a big part in giving me energy.

Since I started with sleep issues I take Ambien at night to sleep. Even with the Ambien, I still wake up off and on due to pain and other stuff. I lost my job this past August and my stress level went through the roof. Which, added to my chronic pain, the domino effect. I have cut back on the nicotine strength juice I have been using and I have ordered some zero to use at night. I am also thinking about ordering VT Midnight 0 mg. I heard on a video review (I can't remember which one, that Midnight was a very relaxing juice.

Best wishes and prayers for both of you. And, Easilyamused, my ex-husband gave me constant problems for 11 years straight. I really don't know how I didn't seriously hurt him. I think it was a game for him! I'll keep you in prayer.

Happy Vaping! :coffee:

lol and to make matter worse my husband is starting a new shift tomorrow where he will need to get up at 3 am, im thinking, great, just what i need is another thing to cause me to wake too early...

lower nic... mine are 11 to 18... i cant even imagine the liquids that have over 30... but perhaps i could get some 0 nic and dilute mine a bit

Can't hurt to try.....I can't use even the 24.....nothing to do with sleep, it just kills my throat something terrible. I use 16-18mg. I guarantee though that if I was nervous, etc. it wouldn't matter if I wasn't smoking or vaping at all.....I wouldn't be able to sleep properly. For one thing I dream like all kinds of stupid stuff, and if THAT doesn't wake me up, then being nervous and not really being in a deep sleep wakes me up. Or some sound or anything could wake me up....even more than I normally wake up. There is NOTHING like nerves to ruin sleep. BUT maybe the lower nic would help, or at least not make matters worse for you. UGH, my husband wakes up at 4 and VERY rarely can I sleep through that. If he isn't making noise or bumping into the bed or some other thing, just all the rustling around I can hear. Then other times, you could drive a freight train through here and it wouldn't bother me, LOL. The littlest thing can mess with sleep.

thanks Sharon and Juliery... chances are this is stress and not the nic levels, because i have been known to smoke like chimney when under stress, and i have actually seen my B/P rise to a dangerous level after an argument with my ex...

and Sharon, if you try that midnight please do a review, id love to hear more about it

thanks Sharon and Juliery... chances are this is stress and not the nic levels, because i have been known to smoke like chimney when under stress, and i have actually seen my B/P rise to a dangerous level after an argument with my ex...

and Sharon, if you try that midnight please do a review, id love to hear more about it

Will do easi, I'll place my order today. Based on my past experience with VT store, I should have it by Wednesday.

Deep breaths, in and out, think happy thoughts. hahaha :wine: Wine wouldn't hurt either!

No problem, glad to help any way I can. I am with you on the stress/smoking like a chimney thing. One time I smoked 5 packs of cigs in ONE day and I don't mean 24 hours, I mean like 12 hours, when I was freaking out over something....NEEDLESS to say it involved my husband. Also the reason I could NEVER stop smoking....the stress relieving aspect of it.....I KNOW I was TOTALLY a nervous smoker, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Just try a tea or warm milk or anything in the evening that might help you relax...or wine as Sharon suggested. Stress is absolutely the worst thing as far as sleep for me. That adrenaline starts pumping and ugh, awful!!! And it never fails, an ex knows EVERY button to push without even trying!!!!!!