Car Power Outlet

I think I either blew a fuse or blew my car cig power outlets. I plugged in my universal car adapter to plug into my 510 DC charger slot and the lights all worked at first and now nothing. Is it drawing too many amps? I have it set on 4.2v and the polarity is C+ which is what it says to put it on based on the charger port.

I'm hoping it a fuse but even at that, am I not going to be able to use this to charge ecig batteries? Any thoughts?

I just found the fuse (all by myself, I might add) :construction:

I pulled it and it looks blown, the little coil looking thingy inside it doesn't look connected any more lol I'm gonna go to get some fuses but I still need to know if I can use this or not, or if it's gonna keep blowing. I'm going on a 650 mile trip this week and wanted to use it. :crybaby:

Is there anything I can do to change the settings and make it work OR is there some other car charger I need to get? I couldn't see your links when you put them up the other day regarding the ones you recommended.

When I first tried it, I was only charging a mega 510, not the tornado, so I'm thinking the tornado is even more juice needed to charge and will definitely blow the fuse.

It'll just probably blow again if you try it with the current settings...

Can you post a link to the one you have? I'm not sure what you're doing. I don't know why'd you'd have all those different setting. Seems like a cheap power inverter would be all you need. When you plug your ecig charged into the wall it's getting 110V. What are you setting to 6V?

Can you post a link to the one you have? I'm not sure what you're doing. I don't know why'd you'd have all those different setting. Seems like a cheap power inverter would be all you need. When you plug your ecig charged into the wall it's getting 110V. What are you setting to 6V?

The model number on this one is close but I can't seem to find the exact that I have. This one is the same specs though i.e. volts, mah etc. Very similar in design Same manufacturer, my model is 90293. The only difference I'm seeing in the model is that mine doesn't say "built in overload protection" lol Which is what I want

http://www.originalpower.com/powerline/component/content/article/39-inverters/61-0900-82

This is the only one I saw at Walmart, and Radio Shack only had them in separate pieces which would be comparable to what I got. I was looking for simple but didn't see anything.

The voltage choices on the adapter are 3v 4.2v 6v 9v and 12v

The 510 AC battery charger says the following on the back:

INPUT AC 100-240V=50/60 Hz

OUTPUT DC 4.2v =150 mAh

At the DC port on the 510 charger it says: DC IN 12-24V

Edited by LoriHNC

I just tried it at 6v on the power port of the car adapter and it looks ok. But my fear is the fuse won't blow if overloaded at the wrong settings and will fry other stuff in the car.

You should be okay, fuse will blow if an overload takes place. I have to say I don't understand either what you have and yes, I just noticed the links I pasted are no good in the PM section. I get things like this:

http://www.madvapes.com/2-amp-Car-to-USB-Adapter_p_2358.html

And this

http://www.madvapes.com/2-amp-AC-to-USB-Adapter-ideal-for-Passthroughs_p_2357.html

You should be okay, fuse will blow if an overload takes place. I have to say I don't understand either what you have and yes, I just noticed the links I pasted are no good in the PM section. I get things like this:

And this

http://www.madvapes.com/2-amp-AC-to-USB-Adapter-ideal-for-Passthroughs_p_2357.html

I also have a usb adapter by itself but I don't have a usb cord for the 510 battery charger to plug into it. I can only use my passthrough in that. I want to be able to charge my batteries in the car if I can :)

This looks like it would work too but it's for the 901 cig. Will that fit the 510 too? http://www.madvapes.com/901-AC-Charger_p_2033.html

And this

Ok - I'm with you now. You're plugging that into the DC in of your regular battery charger. I would think You'd want to set it to 12V. My regular 510 charges says "DC IN 12-24V".

Ok - I'm with you now. You're plugging that into the DC in of your regular battery charger. I would think You'd want to set it to 12V. My regular 510 charges says "DC IN 12-24V".

Thats what I first thought Brian, setting it to 12v. Do you think the fuse blew cuz it was trying to draw 12v from 4.5 and overloaded?

Someone when I first posted this told me to put it on 4.5 cuz the back of the 510 charger says DC OUTPUT 4.2v. I think what we wanted is DC INPUT voltage right?

No, but you should be able to use this with your charger:

My link

Yeah, I saw that one and also saw it's not in stock. I'd love to get it from Madvapes since I can pick it up from him. I'm a few miles away from them. :) Maybe I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if by chance, he has one. I leave for a long trip Thurs a.m. so I wanna get this solved before then :)

Thanks so much

And... :offtopic:

I just hit 100 posts and became a "contributing member". I feel special. Although I still have no clue what I'm doing with all of this lol

Congrats! :) And although you may not realize it yet, you know a lot more than you think you do. :)

You may just take your charger to walmart and find a cheapy to fit it. I believe your cigarette ligher in the car puts out 12V, so you don't need anything is adjustable. Can probably pick one up for a couple of $.

If all else fails, just get one of these. :)

My link

ahhhhhh it has the AC power plug holes. FTJoe was linking that earlier and I must have sounded like an idiot. I didn't see that it has the AC input. I thought it was a usb only. lol Sorry Joe

Yes, this would be ideal. I will take this stupid thing back tomorrow. I hope they have that. Maybe it would be in the car section and not electronics...

Thanks to you and Joe

I don't think I was linking that because I'm not a big fan of inverters. Just make sure if there is power to the lighter after turning off the car (usually not the case) then pull the inverter when not in use.

I was linking to USB only, get one of those and a USB 510 charger and you should be good. I run everything off USB connections for flexibility. Looks like madvapes has stocking issues...that's out as well?

I spoke to Rick at Madvapes today and he does have them, he just doesn't have them listed separately right now cuz he uses them mostly for kits. I am going to pick one up from him tomorrow and onloy $4. Awesome! I took back that other thing today. Glad to be done with it. lol So, I'll be using a USB with a 510 charger off it. :)

Sorry about asking so many questions on that mess. You're very patient with me

I don't think I was linking that because I'm not a big fan of inverters. Just make sure if there is power to the lighter after turning off the car (usually not the case) then pull the inverter when not in use.

I was linking to USB only, get one of those and a USB 510 charger and you should be good. I run everything off USB connections for flexibility. Looks like madvapes has stocking issues...that's out as well?

$4 for the 510 charger, $10 for a car USB converter and another $10 for the wall outlet USB converter, that's what I was recommending. Can also use the usb charger off the computer so you can drop the wall outlet for now. That is unless you're going with a 5V PT...