The Buzz -

Stirfry

First off, let me say that i was very excited about this unit, and i have been waiting to get it for some time now, so maybe i just had expectations that were too high.

Also, one of the things annoying me is technically not part of the unit itself, however this would not be an issue at all if it had a 510 fitting like every other modern unit.

Lets start at the beginning. there is no need to go over all the specs and features as there is a very comprehensive breakdown of those features in other Buzz threads in this same section of VT.com.

So, i got it in the mail yesterday and was initially very unpressed with the look and feel of it. it's a nice looking unit in my eyes. Some people have complained about the visible screws, the brass end-caps, the unexciting tube design, and so on. i actually either like - or do not mind, any of those things. what i don't like is the center-post of the atty connector being a screw, and the switch is not centered in the hole in the body, which 1. makes it tilted, and 2. i am afraid in time it might bind against the hole and stay in the "on" position. see pic:

it's hard to see i guess, but the button is pushed up into the top on the hole in the body, making the rubber button tilt downward.

med_gallery_1189_32_45746.jpg

here's a side view:

med_gallery_1189_32_30021.jpg

the other issue is what i feared from the second i first heard of the Buzz (and no native 510 option)... the god damn adapter. as you can see above, with the adapter screwed down to the nuit, there as a gap between the adapter and the atty. if i put it on the atty first, then the threads on the adapter BARELY catch on the threads of the connector. this is the same exact issue i has with the VT PT. keep on mine, that gap was easily 2-3 times wider, but since it wobbles around a bit with that gap there either in your pocket, or while vaping, or whatever, every time you try to barely snug it up it slowly pushes the center of the atty in. within 2 hours it was already to the point where i was getting a "red LED" unless i backed it off a little (making it even MORE wobbly!). this is unacceptable. i dealt with it on the VP PT since it was a home unit and would not be in my pocket. not the case here. i do have a different type of adapter on the way, but it is at least twice as tall as this style, which sucks too. well see.

lastly (for the bad stuff)... for a unit that only takes one type of batteries, there is an awful lot of play. every time i set it down i can hear the batts moving around from side to side, as well and bouncing against each other and the spring..

now, it does put out a ton of vapor. i have not messed with the voltage at all, since i was looking for a split between 3.7 and 5 volts anyhow, and i need to pick up a multimeter (i did get the voltage adapter from notcigs).

I am happy with the size (aside from the adapter) and weight, and as i said before i actually like the industrial/utilitarian look of it. i did not like that i can look down the tube (when batts are removed) and see the electronics. i would have assumed they would be capped orr or somehoe protected or seperated from the bat compartment. I also thing the hole to access the the voltage adjustment screw is too big, and again you can see the circitry RIGHT there. im my mind, fairly exposed to a spil or just general dirt and crud.

i WANT to like this unit so badly! but i also keep recalling all the slamming on VaprLife for their QC and prices. but seeing how i had to buy atties, adapter, batteries, charger, and voltage adapter... none of which was included with the unit... the price difference between this and the Joker (or Joker 2) would be manginal, at best. I stated in another thread, that when ordering from VaprLife you have tp include having to ship it back to them at least once. well, looks like i will have to include that cost here too.

i know it sounds like a lot of bad and very little good... but it does vape great. however, i also picked up some LR atties from VT to get me by until the Buzz arrived, and to be honest, aside for the obvious difference in battery life (10440s SUCK!) the LR atty on my Spade is basically the same as this unit as it is set now (at 4.5v)... which is good...

but $114 + another $50-100 in atties and bats and chargers and adapters??? uhh, no... not THAT good.

if you took the Variable Voltage feature out, this would be a average unit

don't get me wrong, it's a decent unit, and it vaped pretty good, and it looks cool, and the vari-volt concept is truly innovative and in my opinion - the face of things to come. but am i happy? no really.

as much as i talk **** about proprietary batteries, i am starting regretting not just getting a VYPR or an eGo with a ton of spare bats and LR atties.

that all being said, if this was a dedicated 510 (like it should have been, i mean, come on... who doen't use 510s these days!?) i could easily look past the other stuff. i would deal with it and be just fine (until the button jammed anyhow).

don't know if i will send it back, but it was DEFINITELY a buzzkill (pun intended, but not to be amusing).

again, maybe i just set my hopes too high.

Edited by Stirfry

in all fairness, i may be being harsh due to my frustration. i think what i will do is make this unit my very expensive back up, and then when the 510 fittings come out i will have it sent in for an upgrade.

no matter how much i tell myself "damn, it does vape good!", the fact that i basically can't carry it with me due to the typical adapter fit, i simply cannot justify spending this much for a unit unless it is my constant companion.

Man brother!! Let me start off by saying that if I had all of the issues that you are having... I would have been PISSED OFF as well!! So, having said that, my button is TOTALLY not like the "rubber/orange" button that yours has!! Mine is a really small, hard/black button that is perfectly in the hole and centered like it should be. It looks to me like your adjustment screw is in the bottom of the hole provided for it as well. Mine is directly in the center. I'm thinking that the parts inside yours didn't get installed just like they should have been. Thats not cool in my book either... I too would not accept it the way it is! You need to seriously send it back and have it fixed, etc. As for the atty connection/screw...I wasn't thrilled when I saw that either. But I can tell you that mine works great with all adapters, etc. Everything fits great with no wobble or space like you are dealing with. I really don't get why yours is doing what it's doing. But I think it goes back to being put together a bit "off" to begin withh. Knowing what I know with mine... if I were you, I would TOTALLY send that lemon back and demand a different one that is right... and that has been tested out with different adapters, etc. I seriously have not had a single problem with mine at all.... but yours is not something that would work for me either my friend. SEND IT BACK... but please don't let this one put a bad taste in your mouth to the point of not getting a replacement unit. Afterall, this is by far the best MOD I have in my collection... I don't even think about using anythhing else during the day. Oh, and one other thing... I have NO RATTLING around of the batteries, etc. like you are having! I think I'm using the exact same batts that you are... the grey Ultra Fire ICR 123A 880mAh. Something is not right there either!!

Sorry your experience was so piss poor... I just think that there were some mistakes made when he made yours. And I'm betting he would stand behind it also. You should be getting what you paid for... and you did not. Don't settle.

Edited by DAYVAPE

i'm not sending it back just to send it back again when the 510 fittings are ready. however, studied the button for some time and i don't see how it can me moved or fixed without sending it back, but i will wait and have both things bone at once.

i know i was slamming it, but honestly it's just a bunch of annoying ****, nothing major. i have ordered an alternate style adapter, because i KNOW this would happen, so well see. the only thing is it's one of those adapters that looks almost like an atty (so it's longer).

i am pretty confident this unit will grow on me, and then once it gets a 510 upgrade (i could have just waited, but i was too impatient) i am sure i will be quite happy with it. i am not very pleased right now, but to be fair i foresaw a couple of these issues before i ordered it, so i can't be too pissed.

still, people pumped this thing up like it was god's gift to vaping. i simply would not go that far at all. like i said, i partially blame my very high expectations. i'm not a "return" kind of guy unless something is actually broken or unusable. this is simply annoying. had i known i might well have ordered something different, but now that i have it it's not like i hate it, i am just irritated with it. lol.

when i pick it up, i am still like "this feels good in my hand!", or "damn this vapes awesome"... as a whole it is ok, i am just annoyed by all the little things. and the only ones that are actually the "fault" of notcigs, is the rattling bats, and the crooked button, which don't really effect the actual function, they are just super irritating, lol.

still, it's one of those deals where i can't not recommend it, because if you don't like 3.7, and you don't like 5 or 6... you pretty much need one of these! lol.

Edited by Stirfry

Seriously though... I would have been pissed off too had I had all those "minor issues" to deal with. Those are the things that you just expect to be right and working. I know I am one that has praised this thing... and I still stand by everything! It just sux that you had to have a "lemon" in my book, because now you will never be as happy as you could be with it! I'm quite sure I would not have said everything I did if I would have had one like yours! I've tried several different adapters too... all working just fine. I just don't get that part either. Is your screw head down all the way? It's obviously pushing up on your adapter enough that your atty doesn't screw down all the way. Not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Just sux....

yes and no. i see a lemon as something you buy that simply dies the next day. i wouldn't go that far, lol. i messaged him. lets see what happens. the batts vs the size of the tube is what it is. the button is my main issue, and like i said, i'd rather just wait to send it off till the 510 fittings are ready, which whose also cure the most annoying issue, the adapter. but, like i said, i know i hated adapters when i ordered it, so i can't blame them for that.

so, yes, i should get what i pay for, and there are some flaws, but there are also issue beyond that that are annoying, but are also no ones fault... per se.

as for adapters. can you define "working fine"? seriously...

i have two units with adapters, both different. a Buzz with a silver 901 to 510 adapter, and a VP PT with a gold 801 to 510 adapter. BOTH have the same annoying issue. if you fully seat the adapter on the unit first, then the atty will not screw down all the way on to the adapter, and if you put the adapter on the atty first, then the adapter will not screw down all the way onto the fitting on the unit, in addition, either of those conditions caused the whole atty-adapter-fitting connection to be wobbly. that will eventually either damage the threads, or it will slowly but surely loosen things up or push the center post in, either way requiring you to snug it up and therefore further push the center post in. on the VP PT i an just careful, but you can only be so careful with something portable, that will be used much more than a passthrough, and be in pockets all the time.

this is no fault of notcigs! this is the totally ****ty design of most adapters, especially the floating center-pin kind.

this mystifies me.

1. the depth of a 901 or 801 fitting is KNOWN (atties screw down flush!) and the depth of a 510 attiy's threads is KNOWN (they fit flush in every 510 battery), so i have no idea why the adapter's pin needs to float, OR who they can't get the depths right!

same exact issue, two different (but same st adapters on two units from different manufacturers. wtf? right?)

Edited by Stirfry

yes and no. i see a lemon as something you buy that simply dies the next day. i wouldn't go that far, lol. i messaged him. lets see what happens. the batts vs the size of the tube is what it is. the button is my main issue, and like i said, i'd rather just wait to send it off till the 510 fittings are ready, which whose also cure the most annoying issue, the adapter. but, like i said, i know i hated adapters when i ordered it, so i can't blame them for that.

so, yes, i should get what i pay for, and there are some flaws, but there are also issue beyond that that are annoying, but are also no ones fault... per se.

I may come across as sounding really picky... and it's because I guess I am when it comes to getting what I feel I paid for. Seeing the little things with your particular unit... I'm just saying that I wouldn't even think about trying to make it work. That's nice of you to do like you are doing... and not blaming anyone for certain things. You might be a bit nicer than I would be about it! LOL. It might be just because I know what the Buzz does for me and how much I like it... but in my eyes, these issues yours is having are not issues I ever had with mine. I hope you end up liking it and getting it swapped to a 510 fitting eventually. :thumbsup:

Stirfry, sorry to hear about your problems. My switch is like Dayvape's, it's black and centered. My batteries don't rattle and I use some of the smallest 16340 batteries on the market (AW). Stretching the spring will fix the rattle. I know Mike designed it around Ultafire 16340 batteries. I don't have any problems with adapters. I screw the atty in the adapter first and then onto the Buzz.

Anyway I would let Mike know about your problems and he'll take care of it.

i am sure it will work out. i had issues with two VP series units, but once fixed the worked flawlessly ever since. to be honest, the only fault even now is the lame *** 10440's, but everyone was using them at the time so what are you gonna do, lol.

i would expect the same from notcigs. i am sure it will get fixed up, and i am sure i will love it like everyone else does. just sucks when you are all pumped up and excited about it, it's make a problem all that much more annoying.

it'll work out i am sure.

i just have to rant... or i'll freak out. ;)

Edited by Stirfry

Stirfry, sorry to hear about your problems. My switch is like Dayvape's, it's black and centered. My batteries don't rattle and I use some of the smallest 16340 batteries on the market (AW). Stretching the spring will fix the rattle. I know Mike designed it around Ultafire 16340 batteries. I don't have any problems with adapters. I screw the atty in the adapter first and then onto the Buzz.

Anyway I would let Mike know about your problems and he'll take care of it.

i messaged him about an hour ago. i understand it's a weekend though. i would have done it sooner but i know if i waited i would be calmed down looking for a resolution. if i sent a message earlier i would have just wanted a refund, lol. i actually DO like it, and just want it fixed. i waited on purpose. ;)

i use UltraFire - the 880mah ones.

i also pulled on the spring a little but i didn't want to break it (that would REALLY suck).

that does seem to be the issue, i feel very little "tension" when screwing the cap on. the "bounce" is more annoying that the small amount of side to side rattle, but it's there regardless. seriously, when i set the unit down, i can hear and feel the batteries bounce (for lack of a better word). i would prefer it be super tight than too loose.

i actually like the yellow/orange rubbery button (look and feel) , just now how it was installed.

Edited by Stirfry

i messaged him about an hour ago. i understand it's a weekend though. i would have done it sooner but i know if i waited i would be calmed down looking for a resolution. if i sent a message earlier i would have just wanted a refund, lol. i actually DO like it, and just want it fixed. i waited on purpose. ;)

i use UltraFire - the 880mah ones.

i also pulled on the spring a little but i didn't want to break it (that would REALLY suck).

that does seem to be the issue, i feel very little "tension" when screwing the cap on. the "bounce" is more annoying that the small amount of side to side rattle, but it's there regardless. seriously, when i set the unit down, i can hear and feel the batteries bounce (for lack of a better word). i would prefer it be super tight than too loose.

i actually like the yellow/orange rubbery button (look and feel) , just now how it was installed.

I wrote to Mike about your problems and haven't heard back from him yet. I'm guessing he took the weekend off. I'm surprised you have battery rattle with the Ultrafire batteries. Another thing you can do is cut a business card to fit inside the tube and that will eliminate the rattle. Another trick I heard of is some people line the inside of their tubes with felt.

that's a good idea... i actually have sheets of this self adhesive grip material for rifle stocks that would work, instead of felt.

it's just frustrating. all 3 custom units i have had have all had issues that required returning the for repairs... i just have bad luck i guess.

when you add up all that return shipping, plus the orders dietsmokes constantly screwed up... it ridiculous. not to mention the fact that EVERYONE has free shipping for orders over $100, but it was $11 from notcigs on a $140 order... so there is that as well. it adds up.

ok. i got a reply to my message. looks like it will be replaced asap.

i will DEFINITELY start over and re-review it from scratch when that happens.

those of you that have seen my posts know that i have defended VaprLife, even though i got two faulty units from them. that's because they made it right, and they did so quickly..

if this is made right then i will make sure i post the outcome, and make sure everyone knows that NotCigs backs their stuff up...

the fact that i got a reply within 12 hours or so - on a weekend - makes me very optimistic about a good outcome..

hey, **** happens sometimes... it just seems like it always happens to me, lol.

expect an update.

;)

Nice thread, Im glad y'all got it going. I was considering this unit for my b-day unit, but will not be making any decisions anytime soon. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your outcome!

i will be sending it back. he said he is simply going to replace the entire unit.

he seemed genuinely dismayed that the goofy button slipped past him.. and judging by the unanimously positive reviews the Buzz has received, i believe him.

it may be a couple weeks until i post an update. the 510 versions will be ready shortly, and i told him i did not mind waiting... so this may actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise. ;)

on the topic of NotCigs...

i picked up a couple of there white (with the flat tip) 510 atties... and i LOVE them!

they were out of black, so i just got the white since that was all they had, but now that i have them in my hand i actually really like the look of the white ones on the black unit.

if i had to describe how long it took me to break them in (which is sometime days with some atties) i would say they were broken in halfway through the first hit.

Well, I'm glad to hear he is going to just replace that whole unit. With a start like that... you were just destined to have more problems with it! And hey... you won't have to mess with those adapters that you despise so much. So, all in all, I say it IS a blessing in disguise. Here's to hoping for good things on your next Buzz! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I sure wish he had some sort of little "plug" for the POT hole ! I don't really like the idea of anything getting in there and messing stuff up! I've yet to make any messes with juice running down the side of it... but that's not to say it can't/won't happen eventually! Also, where would I find that "thread grease" to put on the threads to keep them working nice?

One other thing I'd like to mention... I've had this bad boy for a few weeks now, and it really feels good holding this thing in your hand. What I mean by that is, there is no doubt in your mind that you have a very durable piece of equipment in your grip. No cheap/flimsy pieces went in to the construction. I just like being able to tell that I'm holding on to a well-built/durable custom mod I guess. :thumbsup:

yeah, button issue aside, i really am loving this thing...

i sent mine off today so i'm back the the Spade (thank god for LR atties!)... hopefully it won't take too long to get it back. i can't wait to re-review it... i know the little BS kept me from fully appreciating it, but even so, it grew on my rather quickly regardless. i am so tempted to just get another one for a back up, but i really do need a smaller back up. there are some places where i simply need a unit a can "sneak" (like school)

Nice thread, Im glad y'all got it going. I was considering this unit for my b-day unit, but will not be making any decisions anytime soon. Thanks for posting and I look forward to your outcome!

i am very confident that my issue was an isolated thing, otherwise i would have just asked for a refund. as i said before, button issue aside, this is a well performing unit. the adapter issue was resolved with the different style adapter i found. but since i am getting a replacement unit with a 510 fitting, this will also become a non-issue.

as pissed as i was when i first got it, it was mainly because it seems every unit i have ever had has some issue right away. when i packed it up today to send it back i was seriously bummed that i would be without it. that should tell you how much i like i.

... just imagine when i get a perfect one back!

Edited by Stirfry

i have a Spade...

what i meant was "i need something small, that doesn't take 10440s..."

;)

I take it you don't like 10440 batteries. The protected version is garbage but the unprotected one's are better. You don't need protected batteries in the Stick.

About the only other e-cig that I can think of that's small is a regular Joye 510.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines