Concerned About Ny Senate Bill

I joined this forum because I recognize, as many do, that banding together with other vapers is extremely important as the government seeks to squash our rights to use e-cigarettes. This new bill introduced in New York State Senate is on the third reading, which means very shortly it will be up for vote. It is imperative that everyone who has benefited from e-cigarettes -- included our loved ones who are happy we've quit smoking -- take a stand, and write our representatives:

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A9529

Thank you! I'm so worried about this. I've been so grateful to finally be able to quit and get that monkey off my back. I feel that together, we can educate these lawmakers and demand that they do research to back up their claims before they're banned.

Wow - If I'm reading it right, wording is basically such that it would be a full ban. Starts by saying it will prohibit sales to minors, but then seems to move past that and is a total ban. Real issue, appears to have the full backing of the NY chapter of the Lung Association...

http://www.lungusa.org/associations/states/new-york/publicpolicy/assets/memo9529.pdf

Now those who know me know my perfect world speech. In a perfect world the FDA should be provided studies that show its safety, that's how this normally works. I do want the juices and devices to be safe so I imagine that's where the lung association is coming from. But this world is far from perfect and I guess I don't fully understand the LA stance.

We agree with the initial FDA determination that these products should be regulated as drug‐delivery devices and as such, should not be sold until the FDA has determined their safety and efficacy. The Lung Association has called for the removal of all e‐cigarettes from the marketplace until they have been determined to be safe.

For these reasons, the American Lung Association in New York, supports this legislation and urges its enactment.

Wonder if they get money from the state and times are tough in NY? I even see blurbs on their front page on how the people escaping paying the tax by going to reservations should be stopped. I'm guessing some of the tax proceeds goes to them and research? If so, not exactly an impartial observer, are they?

Shouldn't they need to prove it's NOT healthy before making the accusation? I wrote some letters to the assemblymember co-sponsors of the bill last night -- there are a lot of them, but I recommend that everyone who lives in NY do the same.

There's no accusation. Just a concern that something needs to be studied. In a perfect world, that would be expected.

Here's my take on this stuff starting here...

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/topic/4500-aaphp-has-submitted-two-citizens-petitions-to-the-fda/page__view__findpost__p__39729

Bottom line is I believe things like this should be studied, but I now believe the lung association is probably getting a cut of tax revenues so this is a threat to them as well.