Daily Commute

Here's a video of my daily commute. Eat your heart out guys and gals. :)

It's a short video, so don't worry.... however, I will still give it a dizzy alert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-U8jzJNrw

LOL, nope, no floatation devices on any of our rigs.

Brandon.. usually the bridge is under water 1/2 the winter. This winter has been mild. Hope it won't be a drought year.

The boys will drive across even when you can't see the middle at all. Heck, one of the guys drives his little Ranger (like a Rhino but heavier and with more tires) across it when all we see is the outline bumps clear across the river. Crazy!! Especially crazy because they've spent many hours cutting up the trees and logs that crash onto it.

My jeep needs a snorkel before I'll ever drive across it deeper than shown on video. Last year my jeep stalled right smack in the middle. The water was deeper there at the time... couldn't see the middle at all, just the approaches. I'll never do that again! Not even if my eCig supplies are waiting for me at the P.O.

lol Nana, I remember saying those exact words a good 30 years ago. In all fairness though, it's not so bad when crossing in my jeep or a small type vehicle. The pickup truck now, that's another ballgame. I still want to climb into the glovebox...

Actually, Dave, most of the time the windows are open... either to view a good salmon run, a flock of baby geese, a blue heron (yes, even on the river!), the Otter family, ... always something to make our hearts smile. mmmmm, should we keep them closed or something? (I'm lost).

Stl... hehe, I bet you'd drive across to pick up a jeep! They're as addicting as ecigs. :) Yours might be taller, being a rig and all, but *my* jeep has risers... I think they're 2", but may be 4". She's taller than the pickup lol. I hit the water (going slowly mind you so the water wouldn't hit the fan), and the water pressure slowed my jeep down too far. (like a hydroplane at slow speed). Sooooo, I gave her a little bit of gas, and well you don't just give a touchy throttle a "little bit of gas" and we ended up splashing water up into the something and she died. At least my manifold didn't crack! But there we sat, the river bouncing the bridge, the bridge bouncing my jeep, and I thought sure we were going to bounce right off of there given enough time. There's not enough room to exit via the door and wouldn't you know that the window screwdriver was left at the house. (you can unscrew the jeep window and lay it on the hood if you don't lose your tools lol). Just when my panic started creeping in, she started! whew!

Actually, Dave, most of the time the windows are open... either to view a good salmon run, a flock of baby geese, a blue heron (yes, even on the river!), the Otter family, ... always something to make our hearts smile. mmmmm, should we keep them closed or something? (I'm lost).

Sorry Uma, I should have been more specific. It's quite difficult to roll down windows on a vehicle when it's underwater; people die that way. It's happened in our local rivers more often than I care to remember - someone gets swept off the road by floodwaters, can't get out of the car, and drown. You'd think manual (not powered) windows would work okay, but they don't. Water pressure can make them virtually impossible to roll down; same goes for opening the doors. Just be safe, that's all I meant.

Sorry Uma, I should have been more specific. It's quite difficult to roll down windows on a vehicle when it's underwater; people die that way. It's happened in our local rivers more often than I care to remember - someone gets swept off the road by floodwaters, can't get out of the car, and drown. You'd think manual (not powered) windows would work okay, but they don't. Water pressure can make them virtually impossible to roll down; same goes for opening the doors. Just be safe, that's all I meant.

Mythbusters did an episode on just that. They found it 100% true. If you let the vehicle get down far enuff you can open the windows or the door, but generally you've panicked and used up your oxygen by that point.

The things designed to break car windows in such situations DO work, they tested that too. So you either have to calmly let the pressure equalize so you can open the door, or have something to break the window with. Their tests were in a swimming pool, and in panic mode he still ran out of ear before the pressure equalization. He had a diver in there with there feeding him oxygen after that point, but us normal folks wouldn't.

But if the windows are open, as seems to be the case most of the time with Uma, then the pressure equalizes fast and you can go out the window or even open the door and get out.

The things designed to break car windows in such situations DO work, they tested that too.

Spring loaded center punch...love those things for their intended use, cheap enough to put in every car for the alternate lifesaving use (there are cheaper ones than this).

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Bearing-Automatic-Center/dp/B00004T7RD

The things designed to break car windows

One of those things you hope you never have to use. But geez, would I really remember where it was and to use it? For me personally, I really think I'd panic and just loose all sense of reality.

I saw that mythbusters episode, and Adam kinda panicked even though he knew he was 100% safe and had the backup crew.

Maybe I'm just too much of a nervous and panicky guy :) Rock on with your windows down Uma!

One of those things you hope you never have to use. But geez, would I really remember where it was and to use it? For me personally, I really think I'd panic and just loose all sense of reality.

I saw that mythbusters episode, and Adam kinda panicked even though he knew he was 100% safe and had the backup crew.

Maybe I'm just too much of a nervous and panicky guy :) Rock on with your windows down Uma!

I have to say, I've wondered that myself. Knowing me, I wouldn't panic but I would end up dropping it. "Don't drop it don't drop it...dropped it!!!"

I have to say, I've wondered that myself. Knowing me, I wouldn't panic but I would end up dropping it. "Don't drop it don't drop it...dropped it!!!"

Me too Joe. Cool, calm, collected, klutz.

Here's a video of my daily commute. Eat your heart out guys and gals. :)

It's a short video, so don't worry.... however, I will still give it a dizzy alert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-U8jzJNrw

WATCH THE ROAD, WATCH THE ROAD, QUIT LOOKIN OUT THE WINDOW!!!!! :dribble:

Wow, thanks for the heads up!! I remember hearing something like that years ago, but after too much Hollywood nonsense and other fine infomercials lol, I could never remember which end was up. So, trust me, if we ever start going off that bridge, I'll heed your advice!

Spring loaded center punch...love those things for their intended use, cheap enough to put in every car for the alternate lifesaving use (there are cheaper ones than this).

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Bearing-Automatic-Center/dp/B00004T7RD

Oh, now wouldn't that make a nice mod! :thumbsup:

(that is what you meant Brandon, right?) :D

The scubadiver backup reminds me so much of what happened in the latest Splinter Cell book. He went off the bridge on purpose, sunk to the bottom, then shot the window out. He had with him a scuba tank of course, advanced planning.

Hey guys, this is great, and I seriously appreciate all your concern and helpful advice. Touches my heart. I might have to get one of those gadget punches, it just might come in handy someday. (or a scuba tank and a gun :)

Edited by Uma