Soda Tax

It was just a matter of time. Funny how their "concerns" are oh so familiar. First a nickle, then a dime, then a dollar, then 5 bucks.... http://tiny.cc/soda_tax

What are your thoughts?

Colorado has jumped on this band wagon. They have or are in the process of passing a similar tax on soda and candy. The state has also a passed a law for tax on internet purchases. This should be really interesting. I don't completely understand how this will work. The sellers will not be collecting the tax, they are expecting the seller to send the information to the state department of revenue and the state will send you a sales tax bill at the end of the year. Sounds really dumb and complicated.

I see they are trying to justify this by saying that 50% of philadelphia's kids are over weight. I live right outside philly, it will be interesting to see if this tax holds up.

Sin taxes do work to reduce (local) sales of the taxed item. Iowa has raised taxes on cigarettes a buck twice in the last four years. Now a lot of people either buy them online or drive to the nearest other state to buy their smokes. (So far vaping hasn't made much of a dent in analog use.) Anyway, it's amusing to me that the second tax increase was to make up for the shortfall from reduced cigarette sales. :D To be fair I should also say that a fairly large number of people quit smoking too, at least for a while.

Wow. 2 cents per ounce... $2.88 per 12 pack of cans? It almost sounds like this guy wants to make up the city's entire deficit by punishing soda drinkers, until you read that another of his bright ideas is to charge for trash collection. If I lived in Philly, I'd be calling for this idiots head on a garbage can lid.

Oops, one more thing. The tax doesn't apply to diet soda? Why not? It is so obvious that diet soda is a gateway beverage designed to get children hooked on real soda. I mean, look at the flavors it comes in. :rolleyes2:

Edited by SmokinHammer

Oops, one more thing. The tax doesn't apply to diet soda? Why not? It is so obvious that diet soda is a gateway beverage designed to get children hooked on real soda. I mean, look at the flavors it comes in. :rolleyes2:

Funny!!!

Wow. 2 cents per ounce... $2.88 per 12 pack of cans? It almost sounds like this guy wants to make up the city's entire deficit by punishing soda drinkers, until you read that another of his bright ideas is to charge for trash collection. If I lived in Philly, I'd be calling for this idiots head on a garbage can lid.

Man they've been charging us for trash collection for years here. Then they started charging extra for more than fits in the can, and separately for "large" items, and separately for "yard waste" (which we have to buy special bags for, or buy stickers for and bundle just-so longer sticks and branches), and separately for "appliances" and separately for recyclables. It separately adds up to quite an annual sum...

And I'm with FTJoe - that diet soda crack is classic! thumbsup.gif

Edited by ddavelarsen

Man they've been charging us for trash collection for years here. Then they started charging extra for more than fits in the can, and separately for "large" items, and separately for "yard waste" (which we have to buy special bags for, or buy stickers for and bundle just-so longer sticks and branches), and separately for "appliances" and separately for recyclables. It separately adds up to quite an annual sum...

Well, I guess they get your money one way or another. I just checked out an article with a list of taxes by state and us lucky folks here in Wisconsin are paying close to double what the fine citizens of Iowa are. BTW, they still don't take our yard waste.

And I'm with FTJoe - that diet soda crack is classic! thumbsup.gif

Yeah the garbage collection here I pay for too. There are days when I just don't know why either. LOL If you have extra garbage you have to schedule pickup for it. It's amazing.. up to TWO weeks it says. BEYOND amazing.

The really REALLY amazing part is if I decide to go with an outside service that actually offers some SERVICE I STILL have to pay the city. "We don't discount" EXCUSE ME? How is it a DISCOUNT if I'm not using the service? LMAO

I grant you it is only $14 a month, but that is not the point. The point is that I should not have to pay for a service I don't get. Oh and the OTHER point is it gives me something to whine about any darn time I want LOL

I have to agree with everyone else. I'm sick of taxes, taxes, and more taxes. I started adding up everything we pay out in taxes. It started to scare me, so I quit. :dribble: And they are always wanting more and more. Now our town is saying they are going to raise our electric rates 29%. Water and sewer are going up, too. Oh yeah, and so is garbage. We also have no choice in the garbage pickup. They add it to our electric bill. It's actually getting so bad that people are wondering how they will ever make it. I know the feeling. It's like they're robbing us and we can't do a thing about it.

Yeah hammer!! I loved the flavors comment, too. LOL

Edited by nana

So, many munis and even states are going bankrupt. Fed is well on its way while trying to print their way to economic freedom, well at least freedom for the banksters. Where does anyone think these shortfalls are going to be made up? Does anyone think these knuckleheads will really reduce spending and spend reasonably? This is nothing, NY State is already grumbling if they can't get the soda tax passed, they will have another half a billion dollar shortfall. They love these taxes, aka sin taxes, to go against means you are for obesity, etc. They have deposits on water bottles now just like beer and soda.

They have deposits on water bottles now just like beer and soda.

I don't mind deposits so much. Yes, it's a PITA for the consumer and the vendor, but it just might stop a few people from tossing empty bottles out the car window. We don't have deposits on beverage bottles or cans in Ohio, and in looking around at the landscape, I sometimes wish we did.

I don't mind deposits so much. Yes, it's a PITA for the consumer and the vendor, but it just might stop a few people from tossing empty bottles out the car window. We don't have deposits on beverage bottles or cans in Ohio, and in looking around at the landscape, I sometimes wish we did.

Yeah - but its actually another moneymaker for the state as they changed the rules on how much the retailer gets back on redemptions (or lack of, I forget). My point is they didn't do it for the environment, though to stand against it means you are, they aren't taxing soda for the health benefits, though if you stand against it, it sounds like you're a jerk. The state of NY actually said if it isn't passed, they won't get half a billion dollars. Shouldn't they say if it isn't passed, kids will stay and get fatter? Isn't the goal supposed to be to tax the use down, and therefore actually lose the tax dollars? My point is they are hypocrites, same with cigs and gas, they want the money but claim its for the good of everyone.

Yeah - but its actually another moneymaker for the state as they changed the rules on how much the retailer gets back on redemptions (or lack of, I forget). My point is they didn't do it for the environment, though to stand against it means you are, they aren't taxing soda for the health benefits, though if you stand against it, it sounds like you're a jerk. The state of NY actually said if it isn't passed, they won't get half a billion dollars. Shouldn't they say if it isn't passed, kids will stay and get fatter? Isn't the goal supposed to be to tax the use down, and therefore actually lose the tax dollars? My point is they are hypocrites, same with cigs and gas, they want the money but claim its for the good of everyone.

Joe, Joe, Joe. (Motherly look) Don't you know that hypocrite and politician are actually the same word? Politics is always going to be that way. Grease the right palms, you get what you want. They tax cigs and claim that this will help the schools or kids with cancer, then shuffle the deck again and it goes somewhere else.

Steps down from her soapbox. How'd that git there? LOL

I don't ever remember not paying for trash collection either Ddave. How many more ways are there to get more tax money out of us?

This is a federal tax deal, but this link may be of interest to some of you. If nothing else, it's fun to follow your avatar on line:

http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/