Newbie Need Help

LarryFine

I have just started using the 510. The cartridges seem to last about 1-hour. I had wanted to get zero nicotine cartridges, but I guess I got "Medium".

When I ordered, the form asked for High-Medium-Low ... no zero (this box response referred to the free e-liquid I guess) ... I assumed the cartridges were zero.

Sorry, but I'm really new to this and find everything confusing and hard to figure out ..even placing my order.

The Medium cartridges (which I think I purchased) seem like super-sonic nicotine to me. Two hits off it and I was HIGH off the nicotine.

The 510 works for about 1-hour, then dies. I followed the instructions about charging the battery for 8-hours (first charge), using for 20-minutes, and then re-charging for 1-hour ...

so I assume the reason for the short life span of the 510 is the cartridges. I have used up 2 of them so far.

The nicotine level is hard to take for me. I'm used to smoking Ultra-light American Spirit (analog) smokes.

I'm a long-time heavy smoker. After trying the 510, I felt like I could really be free of smoking cigarettes.

Its really a great product. BUT, I feel the whole cartridge, e-liquid thing is confussing ... dripping, etc.

I would like to just have the 510 with no nicotine juice. Are non-nicotine cartridges available?

Do I need the cartridges at all?

Can I just add water to the cartridges with rolled up tea bag wrappers (see YouTube)?

How long can I expect the atomizers to last, the batteries, the cartridges?

Once again, I appologize for not making my questions clear.

I realize that this site is dedicated to selling the products, but also to answering questions and helping newbies like me.

Thanks for reading this, and I really appreciate any responses and help for this. I'm a total newbie. Thanks :)

Larry

Hi Larry, Welcome to vapor talk. Wow, that's a pretty overwhelming first post, let me try to help.

I don't think I've ever seen prefilled 0 nic. cartridges. If I'm wrong I's sure someone will be along quickly to correct me. Lots of suppliers have 0mg juice available in all kinds of flavors. You'll need to fill blank carts (carts that come with filler but no juice) or learn to direct drip.

If you bought a real Joye 510, and it sounds like you did, be assured that you made a great decision. We just need to help you through the learning curve so you know how to use it. There's a certain failure rate in all products produced nowadays, and people have gotten bad parts occasionally, so make sure you buy from a supplier with a good reputation. Atomizers usually last about a month, depending on care and use. A battery will take hundreds of charges and last at least six months, again care and use factor in, before it's usefulness begins to degrade. Make sure to get manual (push-button) batteries, the automatics have a much higher failure rate.

My 510 batteries took a few charging cycles before they really hit their stride. If you're going through them quickly, you're going to have to get a couple more and just keep cycling them through the charger. Also consider picking up a pass-through. That allows you to plug your 510 directly into a usb port... no battery needed.

You do need a cartridge, but you can remove all of the filler from it (just yank it out with a tweezers) and drip juice directly in to the atomizer. If you havent been to the Noob FAQ Video Section go there and watch the "What is direct dripping" vid, and probably all of the others.

Most of us have found that we're unhappy with how long cartridges last, and direct drip.

You can vape straight Propylene Glycol (PG) or vegetable Glycerin (VG) but there will be no flavor and wont be very satisfying.

You can not put water in your atomizer.

Finally, if the first thing you think of when you think Vapor Talk is that it's, "dedicated to selling the products," you haven't explored nearly enough. Look around, read, watch the videos, and feel free to ask more questions. Good luck!

Edited by SmokinHammer

Hey Larry, where's Moe and Curly? Love the handle. I never really got the hang of dripping, I prefer the tea bag mod which I believe you referenced. I find its just easier. Either way, you'll need regular bottles of juice. The ultra light smokers I've dealt with have had a tough time with high nicotine. They do well with two liquids, the low strength Dulcis (not a tobacco flavor) and the low strength traditional tobacco in the VaporTalk store right here.

http://www.vaportalkstore.com/

There are tons of other low strength suppliers out there as well. wordupecig and many other suppliers have lower strengths and many flavors to choose from.

There are quite a few places that sell no nic juice,I know Totally Wicked sells prefilled no nic carts.It's cheaper to buy juice and fill the carts your self or you can direct drip

The batteries on a 510 only last about 1 hour before needing a recharge,no matter what is in your cart.

Attys last around a month for most people.Batteries last mush longer,I have batteries 6 months ols still taking charges and going strong.

Good luck! you are in the right place to find out everything you need to know.You will soon relize this forum is here to help people succeed with their vaping experiance.

I would like to just have the 510 with no nicotine juice.

I also have never seen no nic carts. Not sure if you were a smoker why you want no nic, go low for now. I'm no nic, get my supplies here at VT who has a zero mg Mentha. Also electro nic stix, awesomevapor, Johnson Creek, vermont vapor, innovapor diet smokes and JantyUSA is where I've gone. I think that's it. And by the way, if that's really your name I apologize for the earlier comment. Larry Fine stage name for one of the three stooges.

Edited by FTJoe

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place if you're looking for answers. The people here are great and always willing to help out.

Get some blank carts and fill them yourself. It's cheaper and not that hard to do once you get the hang of it.

And if you think this place is about selling products you haven't looked around much. It's more about helping one another and enjoying vaping than about the merchandise . Look around there are lots of vendors that sell 0 nic juice. I'm sure you'll find something you like. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and happy vaping!!!!

The 510 works for about 1-hour, then dies. I followed the instructions about charging the battery for 8-hours (first charge), using for 20-minutes, and then re-charging for 1-hour ...

These instructions are unnecessary steps. This method is for older style batteries and the 8 hour/20 minute steps really don't accomplish anything. When the batteries are fully charged they are fully charged...period! The method described in the instructions don't hurt anything. They just don't accomplish anything.

As someone else pointed out, the 510 batteries will last about 60-90 minutes on a charge. You will eventually start looking at some of the mods if you follow the pattern most of us have followed.

Moving away from the pre-filled carts will also be a better choice since you want to go to 0-nic. Explore some of the video links to learn about using e-liquid, how to put new fill in carts, and how to direct-drip. Then you can experiment to figure out what works best for you.

Welcome to the forum and ask all the questions you need to in order to get the most out of vaping. It really is a better choice than analogs.

I also have never seen no nic carts. Not sure if you were a smoker why you want no nic, go low for now. I'm no nic, get my supplies here at VT who has a zero mg Mentha. Also electro nic stix, awesomevapor, Johnson Creek, vermont vapor, innovapor diet smokes and JantyUSA is where I've gone. I think that's it. And by the way, if that's really your name I apologize for the earlier comment. Larry Fine stage name for one of the three stooges.

I'm with FTJoe on this one, if you're starting out with 0 nic that makes me think you're not a smoker. You sure don't want to get addicted to nicotine if you're not already! You can make your own juice with USP glycerin bought at a pharmacy or grocery store, and commonly found flavorings. Lorann's flavorings for candy can be found in the cake decorating section of Hobby Lobby or similar stores, or many flavorings can be found online. You want liquid flavoring that is not an oil base. You can also find propylene glycol at many vaping suppliers. Most commercial juice is all or mostly PG based. You'll find many threads describing the difference vaping VG vs PG. Check the DIY Liquid forum for lots of info.

But if you're not a nicotine user already, stay away from nic juices!!! One thing no one needs is a new monkey on their back. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks man -- see even I, the most careful reader and commenter anywhere (!:D!pffft!), can miss the obvious occasionally. ;)

Don't beat yourself up over it, Dave. I can't imagine the pressure you're under. :rofl:

I haven't seen any for sale, I was just pointing out the fact why people would use 0nic. I read a couple posts on other forums where people went directly from a pack of cigarettes to 0nic juice and quit without a problem. They said the hand to mouth and oral stimulation was almost more addicting than the nicotine.

I agree though, if you don't smoke there is no reason to use Ecigs.

I haven't seen any for sale, I was just pointing out the fact why people would use 0nic. I read a couple posts on other forums where people went directly from a pack of cigarettes to 0nic juice and quit without a problem. They said the hand to mouth and oral stimulation was almost more addicting than the nicotine.

I agree though, if you don't smoke there is no reason to use Ecigs.

Ahhh - the cart part threw me. Yeah - that's my wife, when I weaned down to 0, I threw her on too. She was easy...though there was a little kicking and screaming due to lack of throat hit. She was a weekend warrior, only smoked when drinking.

Hey larry, saw that you went through carts quickly. I find that there is still juice in there but it stays at the bottom. If you look in to the 510 straw mod it may help. I was close to abandoning carts and dripping but i get easily 60/4 second draws on a cart now.

Greetings again... thanks for all of the helpful info. My plan is to buy empty cartridges, and to use cut-out Lipton tea bag wrappers for the cartridge filler. Then buy zero-nicotine liquid to drip into the cartridges. I have had some trouble finding sites that sell zero-nicotine liquid. One that has been recommended to me is Johnson Creek link>>> http://www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com/category/shop

This one has been said to have a good throat hit with the zero-nicotine liquid (apparently the nic content affects the throat hit ...info from some other forum).

I don't know if the nicotine level affects the throat hit or not yet, because I'm in the process of ordering for first time through Johnson Creek. I will report on this later here.

If anyone knows of some other good sources of zero nic liquid, please respond here. I was directed to a couple others that seemed to reject my order online, and one that was in the UK with billing in British Pounds (so I skipped that one).

In answer to another comment made to this post... I have smoked analog cigs for a long time, and am addicted to the 'oral fixation' as described ... I like to inhale and exhale the smoke, blow smoke rings, flick the ashes, etc... its a habit that one aquires. For some reason it has a relaxing influence on me. Not sure why. I was told that natural tabacco nicotine (the kind that native Americans smoked) is not addictive. Its all the chemicals (147+) that are added to cigs which make nicotine addictive. I think its really a psychological thing, and pure natural nicotine tobacco is not addictive. Its all in your mind. Please feel free to comment. Thank you again for all of the very helpful responses to this post. Kind regards~ Larry

I have had some trouble finding sites that sell zero-nicotine liquid.

Hi Larry- I posted this earlier...

VaporTalk.com (click on the store above) zero mg Mentha. Also electro nic stix, awesomevapor, Johnson Creek, vermont vapor, innovapor, diet smokes and JantyUSA all carry 0 mg.

So you do plan on doing 0mg just to appease the hand to mouth fixation? I believe nicotine is addictive in and of itself, if you still smoke and want to go to 0, I would start with nicotine and reduce over time to No-N would be my advice. I have many posts on my theory how the hand to mouth is not an addiction but a pavlovian response as a result of the physical addiction. Apologies if I'm being dense...

Hi Larry- I posted this earlier...

VaporTalk.com (click on the store above) zero mg Mentha. Also electro nic stix, awesomevapor, Johnson Creek, vermont vapor, innovapor, diet smokes and JantyUSA all carry 0 mg.

So you do plan on doing 0mg just to appease the hand to mouth fixation? I believe nicotine is addictive in and of itself, if you still smoke and want to go to 0, I would start with nicotine and reduce over time to No-N would be my advice. I have many posts on my theory how the hand to mouth is not an addiction but a pavlovian response as a result of the physical addiction. Apologies if I'm being dense...

Thanks for the response FTJoe. I really appreciate it. I will try using the zero-nic liquids for a bit, and see how that works. I contacted Johnson Creek by email, and they responded right away with the following...

"All of our Smoke Juice (regardless of the nicotine content) is going to have a great throat hit. A lot of our customers love the throat hit in our Tennessee Cured Smoke Juice,"

So i guess I'll try the Tennessee Cured first, and I'll get back on here with a review of that. Thanks again for the links ...really really helpful : ) -Larry

Thanks for the response FTJoe. I really appreciate it. I will try using the zero-nic liquids for a bit, and see how that works. I contacted Johnson Creek by email, and they responded right away with the following...

"All of our Smoke Juice (regardless of the nicotine content) is going to have a great throat hit. A lot of our customers love the throat hit in our Tennessee Cured Smoke Juice,"

So i guess I'll try the Tennessee Cured first, and I'll get back on here with a review of that. Thanks again for the links ...really really helpful : ) -Larry

I find the menthol/mint simulates a throat hit. I have Jonson Creek arctic, Janty Polar Mint, Vapor Talk Mentha, Vermont Vapor Cool Mint, Ecopure menthol and I think I have some chocomint from vermont vapor and Johnson Creek all 0mg. If your not a menthol hater I have no problem jamming some of them in a 3ml bottles and sending, pm me if there's interest. Some people hate Johnson creek just so you know, I like...

Since you're finding sources for 0 nic juice this may not be of interest, but you can also make your own and it's quite inexpensive. Check the DIY Liquid forum for ideas. Good luck and have fun!

Hiya Larry , Welcome to the forum!!! Im new to the forum itself , however Ive been a vaper for some 9 months.

I started out with a 510 using carts,now Im using the direct drip method. As far as the nicotine content

Id suggest finding a feed /farm supply outlet near you and buying your own Propylene Glycol.It only

costs about $20.00 a gallon.That should last you quite some time:) What I did was bought some 10 ml

dropper bottles,filled the bottle 3/4 the way full,and 1/4 nic juice,shook it up. It vaped nice

still got the good throat hit,great vapor,but less nicotine content. Oh and by the way youll need

to get a syringe and heavy guage needle to inject the liquids into the dropper bottles,and PLEASE

when you are working with Nicotine juice its very important to wear rubber gloves.

* As an added note: If you are feeling dizzy and sick you may have an allergy to Propylene Glycol.

As an alternative to PG , try getting some Vegetable Glycerine and mix with that

Not as good of a throat hit but better vapor production.:) Try to find Wilton

Glyserine. You can get it at most bakery sections of your local grocery store.

At Michaels, or Wally-Mart , its cheap. I hope this helps...PepsiMoon

Hiya Larry , Welcome to the forum!!! Im new to the forum itself , however Ive been a vaper for some 9 months.

I started out with a 510 using carts,now Im using the direct drip method. As far as the nicotine content

Id suggest finding a feed /farm supply outlet near you and buying your own Propylene Glycol.It only

costs about $20.00 a gallon.That should last you quite some time:) What I did was bought some 10 ml

dropper bottles,filled the bottle 3/4 the way full,and 1/4 nic juice,shook it up. It vaped nice

still got the good throat hit,great vapor,but less nicotine content. Oh and by the way youll need

to get a syringe and heavy guage needle to inject the liquids into the dropper bottles,and PLEASE

when you are working with Nicotine juice its very important to wear rubber gloves.

* As an added note: If you are feeling dizzy and sick you may have an allergy to Propylene Glycol.

As an alternative to PG , try getting some Vegetable Glycerine and mix with that

Not as good of a throat hit but better vapor production.:) Try to find Wilton

Glyserine. You can get it at most bakery sections of your local grocery store.

At Michaels, or Wally-Mart , its cheap. I hope this helps...PepsiMoon

OOOOOOh good info. Never thought about the feed store.

Thanks again ...very helpful to me! When I ordered the Joy510 from this site, I also ordered some "Empty Cartridges." However, the cartridges that I received do not seem to be empty ...they have the 'poly fill' and I think that they have e-liquid (with nicotine) in them. I think I screwed up when I placed my oprder. Anyway, they have a damp, oily liquid in them. I was just wondering if these cartridges are really empty. I'm trying to use zero nicotine liquid (which I just received from Johnson Creek) ... I have the batteries, the atomizers, and the liquid now. Just need to get empty cartridges I guess. When you order empty cartridges, do they normally have the poly fill stuff in them? Are they moist, or have I received cartridges that have e-liquid in them? Thanks again for all the help- Larry