10440 Protected Batteries

mcquinn

I finally built some mods based on the AAA box mod designs at MadVapes ,I am pretty impressed with how easy they were to build and the amount of hours I am getting on 10440 batteries is pretty impressive.I built two that use one 10440 and two that use two 10440' in parralel for 3.7 volts.I bought four 10440 protected batteries and found one would not take a charge from the get go ,it was replaced with no problems then after a week a second one quit taking a charge.I got curious and cut the shrink wrap off .There is a circut board double sided taped to the negative end of the batttery.It has a negative conducter soldered to the battery and another conducter goes from the circut board to the positive pole of the battery ,you can see the end of this one.The circut board measures the voltage and if it is low it disconnects the negative contact on the battery.When you try to charge it if the voltage is too low it will also not allow the battery to recharge.The problem with mine was the positive connection to the circut board was broken and the circut board could not function to allow the switching mechanism to allow the negative pole of the battery to be engaged.To confirm this I removed the circut board and cleaned up the ends .The batteries took a charge and worked fine but they are not protected any longer.The moral of the story is have plenty of these batteries on hand as it is very likely these connections on the circut board will break,especially if you have a tight fit in your battry holder.Enjoy your vaping and experiment like a mad scientist. :thumbsup:

Interesting - thanks!

I have 14 of them and only one has gone bad - one of the first ones I got back in December. I stick it in the charger and it goes green after about a minute. I can get 4-5 hits on it and it's dead.

Thanks for the good info McQuinn. So far I've been lucky in not breaking the protection off my batts but since my brother has done and warned me, I've been very careful how I handle them. Not to say it won't happen eventually though, the AA battery case I use to carry stuff around is a tight fit on those things - because of the protection circuit I guess.

Ya know, now that I think about it, seems like I read somewhere that you should never remove the plastic coating from these batteries, even if it's dead and will never be used again, but I don't recall why. Is there any danger of the battery becoming volatile when you do this?

Ya know, now that I think about it, seems like I read somewhere that you should never remove the plastic coating from these batteries, even if it's dead and will never be used again, but I don't recall why. Is there any danger of the battery becoming volatile when you do this?

Probably, but I live on the edge. I even tore that "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag off my last mattress. :rolleyes: