Recipe, Schmecipe

So I've seen a bunch of recipes and have one e-juice calculator downloaded, and another bookmarked. I didn't get the iPhone app because I try not to pay for things I'll never use, although it could be a nice little portable tutorial on mixing. (Some days I feel like the Johnny Appleseed of vaping.)

My point is, I'm now mixing juice with no recipe, and no measuring other then a clear bottle and my eyes. It started when I ran out of Dulcis. I'd been vaping it at 18mg, after cutting down the 24mg I bought with some VG. I grabbed a 3ml bottle, squirted in some 26mg 555 I had laying around, eyeballed the amount of VG I added, put in 2 drops of caramel flavor, and off I went. (No, Dulcis addicts, it wasn't the same, but it was good.)

Sometimes I sort of count drops, but if I'm using my 48mg base, I'm really just watching for about one part base, and 2 1/2 or 3 parts VG and flavor until it tastes right. I think I'm usually hitting the 12 to 15mg strength I'm looking for, and the taste is fine. Sometimes I'll add a drop or two of everclear, but not as a rule. Anyway, all I'm saying is that I'm having fun mixing without measuring, and when I'm done, I have much less clean up! Does anyone else mix like this?

I do. That's the way I've done it from the start. I knew it wouldn't be exact for cutting down the nic, but knew it was close enough. And when I make some 0 nic, it's just the VG and a few drops of flavor until I can taste it, so there doesn't need to be recipe.

That takes courage! What if you hit that all-time nirvana juice and can't replicate it? That'd be like losing the map to King Solomon's Mines...

I've only done some real off-hand mixing so far but even that I measured. (Didn't write it down though. :)) When I do start mixing in earnest, I'll keep a log of everything I make, and try to use that to improve the ones I like (if there end up being any). But I'm sure glad it works out for you. I expect that after measuring a while you would actually get to the point you can count on a good vape every time. I'm far from that personally though.

I like the whole "a little different every time" approach. It's the same way I make chili or stew or tuna casserole. If I happen across "vaping nirvana" and can't recreate it, I'll just mess around until I accidentally create "nirvana 2.0" :thumbup:

I like the whole "a little different every time" approach. It's the same way I make chili or stew or tuna casserole. If I happen across "vaping nirvana" and can't recreate it, I'll just mess around until I accidentally create "nirvana 2.0" :thumbup:

That's the difference between a Chef and a fry cook :unworthy:

That's the difference between a Chef and a fry cook :unworthy:

LOL! I can accept that. My wife makes the best spaghetti and chili and potato soup anyone's ever eaten - and she has no freakin clue how she does it. :D

That said, I'm a scientist - er, "control freak." No doubt my intitial mixing attempts are going to be more random than directed, but I sure hope I remember to take notes what I did. The thought that I might convert some perfectly good 100mg base into utter crap - twice - just gives me the willies... dribble.gif:)

John I keep coming back to this thread. The title is great, but the concept is ... well, harrowing for me. Even so, all I've really done so far is exactly what you describe. And guess what? No disasters yet. innocent.gif

John I keep coming back to this thread. The title is great, but the concept is ... well, harrowing for me. Even so, all I've really done so far is exactly what you describe. And guess what? No disasters yet. innocent.gif

Good to hear, Dave. I made hot wings during the game yesterday, paying almost no attention to what I was doing, and they turned out perfect. They may have been a little better than usual because the distractions led to my leaving them under the broiler for a couple extra minutes. It's always tough to cook during the Superbowl, because you don't want to miss any of the game, or any of the commercials. Thank God for half time shows!