Secure Your Luggage On Airlines

"Secure your checked bags -- fly with a gun

POSTED BY CORY DOCTOROW, SEPTEMBER 24, 2006 2:04 PM

If you want to keep your checked valuables from being stolen while you fly, just keep a gun in your suitcase.

Many airports won't let you effectively lock your suitcases when you fly, and the new limits on carry-on luggage thanks to moisture-terror-hysteria mean it's open season for unscrupulous TSA employees and baggage handlers who want to help themselves to expensive cameras and other valuable in checked bags.

But once you add a gun -- even a starter pistol -- to your luggage, it gets extra-locked, gains new tracking privileges, and is subject to heightened scrutiny all the way to your destination.

A "weapons" is defined as a rifle, shotgun, pistol, airgun, and STARTER PISTOL. Yes, starter pistols - those little guns that fire blanks at track and swim meets - are considered weapons...and do NOT have to be registered in any state in the United States.

I have a starter pistol for all my cases. All I have to do upon check-in is tell the airline ticket agent that I have a weapon to declare...I'm given a little card to sign, the card is put in the case, the case is given to a TSA official who takes my key and locks the case, and gives my key back to me.

That's the procedure. The case is extra-tracked...TSA does not want to lose a weapons case. This reduces the chance of the case being lost to virtually zero.

It's a great way to travel with camera gear...I've been doing this since Dec 2001 and have had no problems whatsoever."

That is certainly one way to get your luggage back in one piece...

I have been very fortunate (and now that will be jinxed)--I have traveled a fair bit and so far haven't lost anything, luggage always arrives intact--has been searched a couple times--they have always left it the way I packed it-just a note saying it has been inspected.

so far so good.....

My carry on bag is a Think Tank Airport Acceleration (I actually have the V1) that usually has about $6000 worth of gear in it. It does not leave my sight, and I will not be investing in a starter's pistol. I'm sure you have to inform the authorities that your weapon is not loaded, so I don't see what prevents some bag jockey from letting it tumble, end over end, down a conveyor.

I'm sure this guy wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get him.

The way flying has gotten the last few years, if it's at all possible I drive everywhere. Fortunately I don't travel much. That said though, having my bags locked up from even TSA - and very careful tracking - sounds like a great idea. I'm all for it. But why buy a starter pistol? I have real ones. ;) (The answer is, because many of the places one would travel to you can't even have a gun.)