I Just Got A New Macbook Today!

Wow!!! This Mac is pretty cool.

Almost everyone I asked how they like a Mac and that I was thinking about getting one just raved about them.

So far so good. It has been challenging with the new OS. I have used PC forever so the transition is going to be interesting.

I like that Apple gives you lots of video tutorials to help. After using it for awhile, I check back in and give you all a progress report.

Cya,

Macs are great, well built machines, the Mac Pro series is basically server class parts. The OS is fantastic, because they control the hardware it runs on they can keep the code lean and stable. The operating system maintains itself extremely well, meaning you don't have to give it a "tune up" every few months like a Windows machine (clean out the registry, etc.). That being said, you will pay a premium for things like upgraded graphics cards and the choices are extremely limited (not really an issue with a notebook). This means the usual Mac upgrade path is buy a new Mac... also they can do things like drop support for a 5 year old product that you paid upwards of $3000 for (PPC systems are not supported with the latest OS, Intel only) but like any product you weigh the pros and cons and choose what's right for you. Don't believe all the Mac vs PC hype, they're both tools, you find the one that works for you. Macs are an elegant closed system, PCs are open and sometimes scary and confusing. Just for the record I own and use both PCs and Macs daily, both have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion, I'm sure you'll love your Macbook, congratulations.

@ ElectroNicStix

Ok cool. I am sure I'll have a question or 2. I am pretty good at figuring out the easy stuff. Took me like 10-15 to find the cut,copy, paste shortcuts.....lol

@GDub

Makes sense. I picked this one up for $999. I figure if it last 5 years, that's only $200 a year. So far I feel it"s well worth it.

@Schizophretard

I wouldn't say they never get viruses, there are just a lot less of them out there to infect a Mac. l'm not sure all the differences in the OS but I am sure someone will answer that one soon.

And as for the look or desktop, the Mac seems to be a lot neater. No shortcuts sitting all over just at the top and bottom. I suggest going to Apple.com. There's a few videos like switching from PC to Mac. And BTW, don't bother going on youtube for advice. Most of the "is a Mac better tan a PC" videos are worthless. A Mac user will show you why they are better in their opinion, and a PC user just says they suck...lol

Now I was never an advanced PC user so I hope my MacBook will be less involved as a PC so I have read.

Congratulations Green! You've made yet another step towards a healthier lifestyle. :D

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I've used Macs for about 12 years. I do remember that I had quite a learning curve getting used to the interface in OS X. Finder is the key to your computer; learn to use it and you'll be happy. One thing I really do not like about Macs, and this has always been true, is the menu bar at the top of the display. That can be quite a hassle, just in covering all that real estate with the mouse. But it's a small thing.

Often I still have a moment twice a day, mentally switching between the keyboard shortcuts on PC vs Mac. ;)

But once you find how stable and secure your Mac is, and how nice it is that all the apps look and work similarly, you'll be in hog heaven.

Congratulations Green! You've made yet another step towards a healthier lifestyle. :D

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I've used Macs for about 12 years. I do remember that I had quite a learning curve getting used to the interface in OS X. Finder is the key to your computer; learn to use it and you'll be happy. One thing I really do not like about Macs, and this has always been true, is the menu bar at the top of the display. That can be quite a hassle, just in covering all that real estate with the mouse. But it's a small thing.

Often I still have a moment twice a day, mentally switching between the keyboard shortcuts on PC vs Mac. ;)

But once you find how stable and secure your Mac is, and how nice it is that all the apps look and work similarly, you'll be in hog heaven.

Too funny!!! :dribble:

So you are saying that switching from PC to Mac is like switching from analogs to eCigs? :showoff:

LOL... ok, but seriously please don't go all Mac vs PC on this thread guys. There are only a few things I can't help but involve myself in and that's one of them. Just please believe me when I say that both have their place.

I am more than happy to really lay it out, but here is the condensed version...

Macs are great, they use top end hardware (for the most part) paired with an optimized OS (or multiple OS's). PCs are great, they allow you to use whatever hardware (for the most part) you want paired with a versatile OS (or multiple OS's).

OSX basically takes care of itself, but it's a little less configurable for advanced users. Windows requires some maintenance from time to time, but is very configurable for advanced users.

The Windows registry system is a downside, not sure how they'll get rid of it without a full code rewrite, but the legacy software support on a Windows machine is great. I can upgrade my OS without having to get a bunch of paid updates for my software. But with great power comes great responsibility, now I have drivers to deal with, possible compatibility modes, etc.

OSX is a lean and stable OS. They use a limited set of hardware, meaning they don't have to build support into their OS for a never ending number of new components. When they add a new piece of hardware they just update the OS to utilize it. This means as a general rule you're not out there looking for drivers. But on the downside when you update your OS you chance breaking compatibility with your older software, then you have to pay to upgrade those apps as well. Most people that use their Macs for professional work don't take a major OS upgrade lightly because they are aware it can be pricey updating their software.

As to Viruses... Macs only amounted to about 5%-10% of the total computer using population for years. Writing a virus that only effects 5%-10% of the population is not ideal if you want to cause damage. Because of this we really didn't see many viruses on Macs for years. There are viruses for Macs, yes I said it, and there will be more now that they are gaining popularity and basically taunting people to make them with their ad campaign. Surf safely, anti script extensions for your browser will do wonders.

That is a great and objective reply, thanks GDub. And man you are right about OS X updates and software compatibility. I did not upgrade to snow leopard for that reason. That means I'm 'stuck' with the OS I have forever more unless I want to spring for Photoshop again - which I'm not going to do. That is a true downside to OS X.

That is a great and objective reply, thanks GDub. And man you are right about OS X updates and software compatibility. I did not upgrade to snow leopard for that reason. That means I'm 'stuck' with the OS I have forever more unless I want to spring for Photoshop again - which I'm not going to do. That is a true downside to OS X.

Thank you. I'm really not taking sides when I write this stuff, as I said in an earlier post I use both platforms extensively.

LOL... ok, but seriously please don't go all Mac vs PC on this thread guys. There are only a few things I can't help but involve myself in and that's one of them. Just please believe me when I say that both have their place.

Ah, so that's why when I plugged in my old webcam just to see if it works, it never found it?

Which is not a problem, the iSight cam that's built in seem to take pretty good video. I'll be doing a PCC review tonight with the iSight cam. Let's see how it turns out.