Nicotine In Vaping Compared To Analogs

jmhester

It is also worth nothing that nicotine is not the only addictive substance in the cigarettes we smoked. It's simply the MAIN one. There are other MAOI's in tobacco, and some people seem to develop a strong addiction to them as well, while others don't seem to miss them at all, with yet other people inbetween those 2 types. It is very possible for some people to get the nic they need and still have cravings.

I'm glad you mentioned the MAOI's because I was unaware of that factor. However, when I quit analogs (everytime that is!), I got so depressed it was terrible! After researching it, that is a very common problem and has been posted here, too. I assumed it was "losing your friend" as you have posted below, but now I'm beginning to think it is the MAOI factor.

As for the lose of identity, I think the advantage we have as vapors is that new identity we create. And learning a new skill, buying cool stuff, etc. that makes it so easy to put down the analogs.

Good posts, Travis798! Knowledge is power! :thumbsup:

I think the reason why 24 mg use has been light smokers is because the smoke is no longer messing with peoples sinuses. I used to smoke about a pack of reds a day when I was a teenager but eventually started chain smoking ultralights at about two packs a day. I had too many sinus headaches from reds and had to chain smoke ultralights to make up for the loss. With vaping I'm not having the problem of smoking something too harsh and that is probably why I'm at 24 mg now and wanting to try 36 mg. I don't think smokers think about how much nicotine is in their cigarette but choose what to smoke based on how harsh the smoke is.

Would it be a good idea to add the other chemicals that we are addicted to into juice or are they all carcinogens?

This is interesting, and answers a question I've had for a long time. I've always thought that people who use 24mg juice must not have been heavy smokers and that seems to be correct. JM's calculations are equal to Marlboro Lights - which would be nothing more than colored air from my perspective. :) I smoked 1.5 packs of non-filters per day and that still was not meeting my desired nicotine level - my lungs just could not handle any more smoke.

So when I started vaping at 36mg and I found myself vaping constantly - virtually breathing vapor - I became concerned that there would be no way I could continue vaping. I found a supplier that offers 48 mg juice though, and that is keeping me level. I vape about 2-3 ml of 48mg juice a day. That is enough to substitute for my smoking habit. Do I think I'll ever step down the nic level? Possibly. But I don't feel motivated to do so; the reason I vape is to quit smoking, not to quit nicotine.

One thing that's always been a concern for me is the fact that when regulation comes around - and make no mistake, it will - that the 'authorities' will likely assume that all smokers are like the majority of the folks here; that they have light cigarette nicotine intake. That will leave heavy smokers like me out in the cold because the available nic level after regulation will probably be much less than 24mg. Which would send me back to the smokes.

Good thread JM, thanks very much.

I think the MAOI's probably have more to do with it than the nic. I smoked 2.5-3 packs of lights per day, and 36mg works hard to keep me level. It seems I'm constantly vaping (not sure how many ml's today since I'm filling out of a 50ml bottle, but I have went through 5 batts for the spade and one reg 510 batt), yet my mother smoked 3-4, with the figure being closer to 4, packs per day of lights and is absolutely positively hasn't touched a cigarette since her lips hit an e-cig fine. In all reality, we are probably upping our nic intake to compensate for the loss of the other chemicals, yet that does seem to work. Regardless of the reason someone needs higher mg nic than others, they simply do. It's that or analogs, and yes, it sucks for us who's juice will probably be regulated out of existence.

I'm glad you mentioned the MAOI's because I was unaware of that factor. However, when I quit analogs (everytime that is!), I got so depressed it was terrible! After researching it, that is a very common problem and has been posted here, too. I assumed it was "losing your friend" as you have posted below, but now I'm beginning to think it is the MAOI factor.

As for the lose of identity, I think the advantage we have as vapors is that new identity we create. And learning a new skill, buying cool stuff, etc. that makes it so easy to put down the analogs.

Good posts, Travis798! Knowledge is power! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty much repeating what I have read by seemingly knowledgeable people on ecf about the MAOI's. As far as the depression goes, I think it's common even with vaping. I know personally, once I remember during regular business hours, I really need to make an appointment with my doctor to get some anti depressants. I don't feel depressed, but since cutting wayyyy back/basically quitting analogs I've been sleeping a LOT (execpt for the past 30 hours, in which I haven't slept at all. God bless coffee)

I think the MAOI's probably have more to do with it than the nic. I smoked 2.5-3 packs of lights per day, and 36mg works hard to keep me level. It seems I'm constantly vaping (not sure how many ml's today since I'm filling out of a 50ml bottle, but I have went through 5 batts for the spade and one reg 510 batt), yet my mother smoked 3-4, with the figure being closer to 4, packs per day of lights and is absolutely positively hasn't touched a cigarette since her lips hit an e-cig fine. In all reality, we are probably upping our nic intake to compensate for the loss of the other chemicals, yet that does seem to work. Regardless of the reason someone needs higher mg nic than others, they simply do. It's that or analogs, and yes, it sucks for us who's juice will probably be regulated out of existence.

Thanks Travis, that makes a great deal of sense. Your knowledge and thoughtfulness are valuable here!

Thanks Travis, that makes a great deal of sense. Your knowledge and thoughtfulness are valuable here!

Oh it's not my knowledge ddavelarsen, smarter people than me come up with this stuff. I simply parrot it to other people that might not have seen their excellent work and passion in figuring out just wtf is really going on!