Battery question. ..

I'm running a dual twisted coil rda set up. My battery was reading 3.9v on a meter. I only took a couple hits and went over my neighbors for a few. He's running a single twisted coil. While I was there his stopped working. I let him try my battery to see if that was the problem, it still wouldn't fire. It turns out his positive screw came loose on his rda. When I put my battery back into my mod it wouldn't fire. I checked it on my meter and it registered 2.3v. It dropped 1.6v after a few test fires on his mod no more than 2-3 seconds.

My question is WTF?

No short the coil never came out of the positive post to touch anything. There was no venting, physical damage or high temperature of the battery. It charged fine. I researched a bit last night and IMR batteries have a "sleep mode" @ 2.3v to prevent damage. When they reach 2.3 they require a charge to "wake up" to continue use. It makes sense when you think about it. I use IMR batteries in my flashlights and when the die they charge and are still long lasting. So, actually 2.3v is still a safe voltage.

Throw it away!! It's just a battery! Certainly not worth the risk. Something went wrong with the cell.

Li-ion cells discharged that low can form sharp crystals in the catalyst which rip through the thin bag that holds the catalyst. When the bag is ripped, all bets are off. Time for the famous vent with flames.

Since you do not have an xray machine to see inside the battery, you can never know when and if those crystals form. Venting with flames can happen at any time. Tomorrow or a year from now.

Also remember that venting with flames is a THERMAL non-electrical condition that can take adjacent cells with the venting cell. Pretty soon you wont just have one cell venting but 10 or 20 (if you store your batteries near each other), and thats more than enough to burn down your house or catch your car on fire.

They didnt just ground an entire fleet of planes because li-ion fires are not really a problem. They grounded the planes because li-ion venting cells are VERY dangerous.

And did I mention all the toxic gases that a venting cell produces?

And reviving a low-voltage cell saves how much money? Just not worth the risk.

Edited by Proetus

Throw it away!! It's just a battery! Certainly not worth the risk. Something went wrong with the cell.

Li-ion cells discharged that low can form sharp crystals in the catalyst which rip through the thin bag that holds the catalyst. When the bag is ripped, all bets are off. Time for the famous vent with flames.

Since you do not have an xray machine to see inside the battery, you can never know when and if those crystals form. Venting with flames can happen at any time. Tomorrow or a year from now.

Also remember that venting with flames is a THERMAL non-electrical condition that can take adjacent cells with the venting cell. Pretty soon you wont just have one cell venting but 10 or 20 (if you store your batteries near each other), and thats more than enough to burn down your house or catch your car on fire.

They didnt just ground an entire fleet of planes because li-ion fires are not really a problem. They grounded the planes because li-ion venting cells are VERY dangerous.

And did I mention all the toxic gases that a venting cell produces?

And reviving a low-voltage cell saves how much money? Just not worth the risk.

Amen brother! Safety first! Toss that battery!