Wrong On Every Level

Here is a link to a story from my local newspaper. Now, I am now an ex-smoker, and I sympathize with this woman, but PULEAZE ! I will post my opinion AFTER a few of you have read it. Warning, my post is gonna be LONG and opinionated ! I'm ticked off !

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091121/NEWS/911215003/1410?Title=Philip-Morris-Ordered-to-Pay-Florida-Woman-300-Million

This kind of thing just flips a switch in me that makes me wanna go on a TIRADE ! How the HELL can you justify, not only this ridiculous lawsuit, but the astronomical judgement as well ? Now, I smoked for 30 years, and granted, Im not on a ventilator, or oxygen tank, thank God, BUT, no one put a friggin gun to my head or brainwashed me to smoke either !!!!! Like the VAST majority of smokers, I was NOT lured to the habit by Cartoon camels or hunky cowboys or dancing girls ! Their ads could have depicted Danny Devito naked and I STILL would've smoked ! Did the tobacco companies KNOW cigs were REALLY bad for us ? Of course they did ! AND SO DID WE !!!!!!! Big Tobacco was trying to sell thier product the SAME way EVERY business does in America ! With subtle half truths and misleading claims and big Hollywood endorsements to make the product more glamourus than it actually is. I mean, to follow the logic of these lawsuits, we now need to start suing the estates of John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Cagney and even RONALD REAGAN for falsly endorsing cigarettes ! Smoking tobacco, in one form or another has been going on for CENTURIES, it didnt just happen overnight in the 1950's. Its a bad, terrible habit, we have recently learned. AND WE GET IT ! No one needs to be punished for essentially what amounts to doing thier job . Big Pharm and Big Government has lied to us on SO MUCH a grander scale than big tobacco ever THOUGHT of. It is these baseless, moronic lawsuits and judgements that are crippling our economy, and feeding the gas tanks of narrow minded liberal lawmakers to keep going on with thier fight to preach to all of us what THEY believe is right and wrong. How come not ONE of them is in an uproar about Captain Morgan possibly luring our children into alcoholism ! Or the Budwieser frogs ? BECAUSE THEY USE THOSE PRODUCTS ! I'm outta breath. I'll post some more when I see where you guys stand. Rant in intermission. :wacko:

Edited by keenan

Um, Danny DeVito????? Uhhhhhh, yeah...huh?, DeVito? Really? Ummmmmm... Ooooookkkaaaaayyyyy..

(wow, thats weird)whistle.gifwtf.gif

But, seriously. I feel thats bogus too. It is rediculess that they award so much $ to these people. I knew when I started that cigs were bad, but I didn't care. Hell, I thought it made me cool and it was the in thing to do. When I was smoking for 1 month, I couldn't quit. No matter how I tried. I only quit a couple of times, once when I had phnumonia and the other time I was just too sick. Now I have the e-cig and will not touch another analog. Come on, that sux. Now Phillip Morris will have this go through the courts until that lady dies. That much just shouldn't be. She started without anyone twisting her arm.

The Danny DeVito rference made me laugh and spit out my coffee. I'm with you on this one keenan. Since obesity causes a ton of health issues, is McDonalds the next business to be sued?

The Danny DeVito rference made me laugh and spit out my coffee. I'm with you on this one keenan. Since obesity causes a ton of health issues, is McDonalds the next business to be sued?

Actaully someone already sued McDonalds... spilled hot coffee on them while in drive through. I believe that was well into the millions... Not sure of the outcome of it though.

Here is a link to a story from my local newspaper. Now, I am now an ex-smoker, and I sympathize with this woman, but PULEAZE ! I will post my opinion AFTER a few of you have read it. Warning, my post is gonna be LONG and opinionated ! I'm ticked off !

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091121/NEWS/911215003/1410?Title=Philip-Morris-Ordered-to-Pay-Florida-Woman-300-Million

Read this on yahoo news the other day. I have plenty to say about it, but i can't seem to formulate what i want to type about it.

You pretty much said it though, Keenan. "I'm ticked off!" :mad:

Actaully someone already sued McDonalds... spilled hot coffee on them while in drive through. I believe that was well into the millions... Not sure of the outcome of it though.

That was a few years ago. If I remember right, The woman won a ton of money, but not as much as she asked for. But thats another classic case of wrong. I mean, if you find a finger in your french fries, ok, you have a legit beef ( really bad pun ). But if YOU spill coffee on YOURSELF, and win money because its too hot, then whats stopping me from suing because its NOT HOT ENOUGH ? Seriously, when does it end. And now, the courts are tied up with THOUSANDS of these ridiculous lawsuits. Guess whos paying for those judges time ? Me and you. SOMEONES gotta put a stop to this crap !

Edited by keenan

It's not just the ultra-liberal "we know what's best" crowd who get these things going. We can also blame our greedy pack of lawyers who see an opportunity for big bucks and go for it, logic be damned. The entire judicial system has a hand in the popularity of these bonehead cases.

It's not just the ultra-liberal "we know what's best" crowd who get these things going. We can also blame our greedy pack of lawyers who see an opportunity for big bucks and go for it, logic be damned. The entire judicial system has a hand in the popularity of these bonehead cases.

I agree 1000 % , and I think thats what Im really trying to say. Our judicial system, by definition, is the best in the world. But, our judicial system, by current practice, is swallowing itself into a big black hole, and taking all of us with it. Our commercials on TV, billboards and magazines are innundated with ambulance chasers and shysters. The label " Attorney" no longer applies to a proffesion, its an industry.

This kind of thing just flips a switch in me that makes me wanna go on a TIRADE ! How the HELL can you justify, not only this ridiculous lawsuit, but the astronomical judgement as well ? Now, I smoked for 30 years, and granted, Im not on a ventilator, or oxygen tank, thank God, BUT, no one put a friggin gun to my head or brainwashed me to smoke either !!!!! Like the VAST majority of smokers, I was NOT lured to the habit by Cartoon camels or hunky cowboys or dancing girls ! Their ads could have depicted Danny Devito naked and I STILL would've smoked ! Did the tobacco companies KNOW cigs were REALLY bad for us ? Of course they did ! AND SO DID WE !!!!!!! Big Tobacco was trying to sell thier product the SAME way EVERY business does in America ! With subtle half truths and misleading claims and big Hollywood endorsements to make the product more glamourus than it actually is. I mean, to follow the logic of these lawsuits, we now need to start suing the estates of John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Cagney and even RONALD REAGAN for falsly endorsing cigarettes ! Smoking tobacco, in one form or another has been going on for CENTURIES, it didnt just happen overnight in the 1950's. Its a bad, terrible habit, we have recently learned. AND WE GET IT ! No one needs to be punished for essentially what amounts to doing thier job . Big Pharm and Big Government has lied to us on SO MUCH a grander scale than big tobacco ever THOUGHT of. It is these baseless, moronic lawsuits and judgements that are crippling our economy, and feeding the gas tanks of narrow minded liberal lawmakers to keep going on with thier fight to preach to all of us what THEY believe is right and wrong. How come not ONE of them is in an uproar about Captain Morgan possibly luring our children into alcoholism ! Or the Budwieser frogs ? BECAUSE THEY USE THOSE PRODUCTS ! I'm outta breath. I'll post some more when I see where you guys stand. Rant in intermission. :wacko:

All I can say is "Ditto"...lawyers will get rich and courts will be tied up with ********. I smoked a lot longer than this poor woman. (38 years) I am sorry she has contracted such a serious illness. But sueing Phillip Morris for something she did to herslef is wrong.

What gets me is that this woman tried so hard to quit for 25 years and couldn't, but the first year the patch is on the market, she kicks the habit.

I'm pretty sure McDonalds has already been sued for making someone fat. Thats why they cut their portions even smaller than they already were years ago. I could use some extra cash.. Think I'll get some fast food, wreck my truck, then sue for a couple hundred mill because the food was too greasy and caused my hand to slip off the steering wheel. Sadly, someone could probably win that case. Jurors act in favor of these people with the lawsuits because they might want to be next in line. We have too big of an attitude of entitlement in this country. We are entitled to what we work for, nothing more.

Okay, you wanted opinions, here's mine...I agree. All the way. Couldn't have said it better myself, keenan.

Just one more thing, never ever be in the middle of taking a very long drag on an e-cig and read something several very funny references to a naked Danny Devito at the same time. The result of inhaling and suddenly laughing out loud can cause a person to nearly choke. But I'm okay now.

I think to be safe, maybe Chris and ALL the other suppliers better put a label on thier websites and products that say -

" At absolutely NO point in the future will you be able to cause or be a part of ANY litigation, suit, and/or class action that may hold ME, the supplier responsible for YOU, the buyer, relating to any STUPID, MORONIC reason that may pop up in your tiny little greedy mind. " :whistle:

TWO IN ONE DAY !!!! Hers ANOTHER from the same website this evening -

Tampa Woman Sues Ex-Boyfriend For STD

A Tampa Bay area woman has sued her ex-boyfriend claiming he didn't tell her that he had genital herpes.

Kathy Croman, 57, filed the civil lawsuit on Nov. 2 in Hillsborough County Circuit Court against her ex-boyfriend Richard Tinker, who won $5 million in the Florida Lottery in 1994.

Croman's lawsuit says Tinker failed to tell her he had herpes until they had been intimate for several months, and that she was diagnosed with it in August 2007.

Failing to disclose herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison.

HEY EINSTIEN ! He had $ 5 Million !!!!! That has NOTHING to do with it, Im sure ! :fish: