Florida Taking Advantage Of Smokers!

TheGreen

Heres a quote from the article, mind you, I live in FloriDUH !

"The new tax, which helps fund Medicaid, will raise $881 million this year and $907 million the next, the economists forecast Thursday when they analyzed cigarette-sales data.

``This is working exactly the way we had hoped,'' said Sen. Nan Rich, a Weston DEMOCRAT and leading proponent of the tax. ``We wanted to cut down on smoking and keep healthcare programs from being cut.''

Now, my wife is on medicaid. NOT a mooch, or freeloader. Worked her TAIL off for 30 years and has a bad back as a result. My wife smokes. ( E cigs didnt cut it for her ). So now, SHES paying more for cigs to help pay for HER medicaid. Like MILLIONS of people, no matter WHAT they do as far as taxes, etc. they are NOT going to quit smoking. SO, they get sicker, cigs get higher, they are FORCED to choose between meds and or food and or whatever. This is working EXACTLY as they had hoped. They are getting more money, Medicaid is STILL a scam that is NOT reaping the benefits of higher taxes, and nobody wins. The way to cut down on healthcare programs is to get the MOOCHES and FREELOADERS off of it. The people who are claiming disability, getting HUGE checks every month, and go golfing 4 times a week with it. AAARGHHHHH!!!

The federal tax hike is what got me to switch first to roll your owns for awhile, then I found the e-cig.

More cigarette tax is probably going to drive people to alternatives much quicker.. its already $5.60 a pack.. up from $3.25 a pack from just January.

Heres a quote from the article, mind you, I live in FloriDUH !

"The new tax, which helps fund Medicaid, will raise $881 million this year and $907 million the next, the economists forecast Thursday when they analyzed cigarette-sales data.

``This is working exactly the way we had hoped,'' said Sen. Nan Rich, a Weston DEMOCRAT and leading proponent of the tax. ``We wanted to cut down on smoking and keep healthcare programs from being cut.''

Now, my wife is on medicaid. NOT a mooch, or freeloader. Worked her TAIL off for 30 years and has a bad back as a result. My wife smokes. ( E cigs didnt cut it for her ). So now, SHES paying more for cigs to help pay for HER medicaid. Like MILLIONS of people, no matter WHAT they do as far as taxes, etc. they are NOT going to quit smoking. SO, they get sicker, cigs get higher, they are FORCED to choose between meds and or food and or whatever. This is working EXACTLY as they had hoped. They are getting more money, Medicaid is STILL a scam that is NOT reaping the benefits of higher taxes, and nobody wins. The way to cut down on healthcare programs is to get the MOOCHES and FREELOADERS off of it. The people who are claiming disability, getting HUGE checks every month, and go golfing 4 times a week with it. AAARGHHHHH!!!

Well they are predicting to raise 881 million this year and 907 million.. taxes do funny things to peoples behavior. I think that forecast wont even make it, considering how fast people are finding alternatives.... My brother took 2 or 3 drags from my e-cig and immediately went online to buy one after 16 years of smoking more than a pack a day. My other brother was dipping tobacco for 20 years and ended up buying an e-cig and switched completely.. I think its catching on.

I seriously think the spankapottamuses we have elected have thier heads up thier arses ! Now, lets not forget, these Congressmen and Senators have the BEST healthcare and retirement plan on the PLANET. Did you know, if you are elected to Congress, and resign a month later for non-corrupt reasons, you get to KEEP your healthcare plan and pension for LIFE ! Having these jabronies try to fix healthcare is like having an alcoholic keep track of DUI's. Theyre attacking the problem from the wrong end ! We shouldnt be trying to RAISE money (taxes) to pay for healthcare, we should be bringing DOWN the ridiculous costs associated with it. THATS how you solve a problem. If I cant make ends meet, its a WHOLE lot easier to cut costs than to bring in more money. How do I cut costs ? I cut out the WASTE ! If I go to the hospital with no insurance, they charge me 25 bucks for an aspirin that costs .34 cents ! Thats capitalism. BUT, the guy in the gurney next to me, WITH health insurance, gets the SAME friggin aspirin, and his insurance company is charged $ 62.00 !!!! THATS GREED ! Thats fraud. Thats also effin LEGAL to these morons ! AND, THATS why our healthcare system is in such a shambles ! Its SIMPLE friggin math ! Its SIMPLE common sense ! Its got NOTHING to do with smoking, drinking, or ANY pursuit of LEGAL happiness that they claim is causing rates to go higher. A few select people who dont have a care in the world when it comes to healthcare, are trying to regulate the masses based on greed and personal opinion. Rant over. I'll re-rant later !

It's a wonderful cycle. People get sick and they make money. They aren't doing it to make people quit smoking, they're doing it because they know they can make large amounts of money.

I seriously think the spankapottamuses we have elected have thier heads up thier arses ! Now, lets not forget, these Congressmen and Senators have the BEST healthcare and retirement plan on the PLANET. Did you know, if you are elected to Congress, and resign a month later for non-corrupt reasons, you get to KEEP your healthcare plan and pension for LIFE ! Having these jabronies try to fix healthcare is like having an alcoholic keep track of DUI's. Theyre attacking the problem from the wrong end ! We shouldnt be trying to RAISE money (taxes) to pay for healthcare, we should be bringing DOWN the ridiculous costs associated with it. THATS how you solve a problem. If I cant make ends meet, its a WHOLE lot easier to cut costs than to bring in more money. How do I cut costs ? I cut out the WASTE ! If I go to the hospital with no insurance, they charge me 25 bucks for an aspirin that costs .34 cents ! Thats capitalism. BUT, the guy in the gurney next to me, WITH health insurance, gets the SAME friggin aspirin, and his insurance company is charged $ 62.00 !!!! THATS GREED ! Thats fraud. Thats also effin LEGAL to these morons ! AND, THATS why our healthcare system is in such a shambles ! Its SIMPLE friggin math ! Its SIMPLE common sense ! Its got NOTHING to do with smoking, drinking, or ANY pursuit of LEGAL happiness that they claim is causing rates to go higher. A few select people who dont have a care in the world when it comes to healthcare, are trying to regulate the masses based on greed and personal opinion. Rant over. I'll re-rant later !

If you think healthcare is expensive now.. wait until it's "free"

The federal tax hike is what got me to switch first to roll your owns for awhile, then I found the e-cig.

More cigarette tax is probably going to drive people to alternatives much quicker.. its already $5.60 a pack.. up from $3.25 a pack from just January.

$5.60 is what I used to pay for a pack of Newports last year, $42.00 a carton. This year, it went up to $7.80. And like what you said, thats what drove me to vaping. It used to cost me $3.50 for a pack, usually for name brands. Generic brands like GPC used to only cost $2.00 dollars before feds added a tax to cigarettes a couple years ago. Hell, when I was in New York in 1999, cigarettes used to cost 9 dollars and I thought that was expensive! A relative told me it now cost well over 10 dollars a pack. I can't really confirm it myself since I'm not in New York, but I can tell you it's well over $6-$7 dollars here in California.

I just hope they don't dare tax vaping!!!

Cigarettes are VERY EXSPENSIVE in NY and when I moved to SC, they were halve the price. Now its doubled up here (marlboro is $45 a carton) and in NY they are up to $90 carton.

Now, b4 I quit I was paying $24 for perimids, like marlboros but cheaper. I thought anyways. But the bad thing was that they would go out. I guess thats from the crap in it that stops them from burning incase they are dropped or you fall asleep with one lit. Well, it didn't work, you should see what my carpet looks like with all the burn marks. LOLthumbsdown.gifnoexpression.gif

The REAL bummer is, that eventually the FDA (By the nod of big tobacco), will "Approve" e-cigs. Then the likes of R.J. Reynolds will corner the market with the only certified products and they will then be added to the sin tax category...... FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD !!!!

If you think healthcare is expensive now.. wait until it's "free"

Amen.

The governor of Iowa loves taxes. He's raised the tax on a pack of cigarettes a dollar, twice. The second time it was because tax revenue had dropped off - people were either quitting smoking or finding cheaper places to purchase them. With the second tax increase - now $7 a pack - I found an online vendor for a third that price.

But then I found vaping. That's going to cure it for me. I'll stock up on juice and parts as much as I can before big tobacco gets its monopoly, but I agree that's inevitable. And like Chris says, all we'll be able to buy are cartomizers. I can tell you, that is not a cost-effective way to vape.

Edited by ddavelarsen

Amen.

The governor of Iowa loves taxes. He's raised the tax on a pack of cigarettes a dollar, twice. The second time it was because tax revenue had dropped off - people were either quitting smoking or finding cheaper places to purchase them. With the second tax increase - now $7 a pack - I found an online vendor for a third that price.

But then I found vaping. That's going to cure it for me. I'll stock up on juice and parts as much as I can before big tobacco gets its monopoly, but I agree that's inevitable. And like Chris says, all we'll be able to buy are cartomizers. I can tell you, that is not a cost-effective way to vape.

How did that online vendor work for you. Im trying to find a cheaper way for my wife and son. Vaping just didnt work out for them. Is buying online analogs reliable ?

How did that online vendor work for you. Im trying to find a cheaper way for my wife and son. Vaping just didnt work out for them. Is buying online analogs reliable ?

Yes, it was a very good experience for me. It takes about two weeks to receive the cigarettes; they only take personal checks and I think they wait for them to clear before shipment. Naturally since I started vaping I've ditched the info on who I was buying from. It was a Native American reservation in California. Let me track that down and I'll let you know. But there are a myriad sellers out there.

Yes, it was a very good experience for me. It takes about two weeks to receive the cigarettes; they only take personal checks and I think they wait for them to clear before shipment. Naturally since I started vaping I've ditched the info on who I was buying from. It was a Native American reservation in California. Let me track that down and I'll let you know. But there are a myriad sellers out there.

Thanks, that would be great. Ive found several online, but Im hesitant to use them as I dont know about thier rep.

Thanks, that would be great. Ive found several online, but Im hesitant to use them as I dont know about thier rep.

Understood. Oddly, I was at first hesitant to use them because of the non-CC issue; I wanted immediate gratification. :) But using a personal check sure seemed safer to me once I got used to it. I found that most cigarette places don't take CCs. I think it's probably because they operate on such a thin margin that it's not cost effective. And they do kind of have us over a barrel. :D

Hi keenan. It's Black Hawk Tobacco. Here's a link to their forum, I did not find the website right off but you'll find it here.

Black Hawk Tobacco

Good luck! Maybe one day you'll bring your family over too, but meanwhile this should save some valuable money.

Dave

Hi keenan. It's Black Hawk Tobacco. Here's a link to their forum, I did not find the website right off but you'll find it here.

Black Hawk Tobacco

Good luck! Maybe one day you'll bring your family over too, but meanwhile this should save some valuable money.

Dave

Thanks Dave ! Now, we better get back on topic before I get a spankin !