Direct Dripping Q

nemesis

so when you direct drip, do you first put some in the cartridge, then some more on the atomizer?

or just on the atomizer only since i hear only put 3, sorry if this was answered already i couldnt find it

so when you direct drip, do you first put some in the cartridge, then some more on the atomizer?

or just on the atomizer only since i hear only put 3, sorry if this was answered already i couldnt find it

Ive heard people do it both ways. But I just put 3 or 4 drops on the atty with a blank cart (take the filler out) and you get about 7-10 good vapes. You can do it with the filler in as well, but I think you get more of the flavor and throat hit without it. To each his own though. :thumbsup:

When you direct drip you only put the drops on the atomizer. I pull the filling out of the cartridge so it doesn't burn and give you that nasty burnt taste. So the cartridge turns into just a mouthpiece and nothing more.

Chris did a video on direct dripping and it's in the info area somewhere. I would post the link but Chris broke something and I can't access that area at the moment LOL. :pc:

alright thanks guys that settled my question

and yea i can just imagine how awful it would be to smoke that filter

heh i believe i'll be pulling it out as well

oh don't worry about the video, i saw it that's when i came up with this question :P

very nice video as well, i just wasn't sure

Edited by nemesis

oh i thought the filter being left in can cause the bad taste

or do you mean if you remove the filter you have to be more careful making sure its got some juice in there?

by filter i mean the wool thing

The direct drip video can be found in the new FAQ area: http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/forum/136-electronic-cigarette-faq-forum/

(The FAQ area can be found on the front page just under the Noobie Section)

Doh! Thought it was in the info area :blush:

OK, so I've had my 510 for a couple of weeks, and I'm still not getting the hang of this. I've watched Chris's video, read the forums, etc..

Right now I'm still filling a cartridge, I used the so-called straw mod for it and it's working fine for me. I do about 3 drops to top it off and I get maybe 7 good hits before I top it off again. No burnt taste, I've replaced the filling a couple of times so that's not really an issue.

But I keep getting the feeling that dripping -should- work better, it's just not. I must be doing something wrong. I tried with a clean atty (blew out all of the juice and let it dry upside down for a while), put 3 drops on, but it doesn't hit well, it seems like it's flooded. Finally get a couple good puffs then when the vapor drops off I add say, 2 more drops. Every time I try this I get a mouthful of juice, and it leaks out of the side, neither of which happens when I'm using the cartridge.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

OK, so I've had my 510 for a couple of weeks, and I'm still not getting the hang of this. I've watched Chris's video, read the forums, etc..

Right now I'm still filling a cartridge, I used the so-called straw mod for it and it's working fine for me. I do about 3 drops to top it off and I get maybe 7 good hits before I top it off again. No burnt taste, I've replaced the filling a couple of times so that's not really an issue.

But I keep getting the feeling that dripping -should- work better, it's just not. I must be doing something wrong. I tried with a clean atty (blew out all of the juice and let it dry upside down for a while), put 3 drops on, but it doesn't hit well, it seems like it's flooded. Finally get a couple good puffs then when the vapor drops off I add say, 2 more drops. Every time I try this I get a mouthful of juice, and it leaks out of the side, neither of which happens when I'm using the cartridge.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm an 801 user, but I think the problem you are having is flooding. I'm thinking you should be dripping 1-2 drops on a 510. The atty is much smaller than an 801, which is what was used in that video I think. I use 3-4 drops in an 801, but that much would be way too much juice for a 510.

You will also drip a lot more with a 510 because it has a smaller wick and bowl. I think 510s burn through juice a little faster as well when dripping.

Some dedicated 510 users should be able to chime in here, but this is from my own experience.

That was my guess too. I'll try with less drops, thanks. I was worried that if I used too little I might burn the atty out.

I've had my 510 for a little over a month now. I too, dont see the benefits of direct dripping. Like you, it just doesnt last long enough, or work consistently enough for my satisfaction. Sometimes, Ill put a drop or 2 on the atty with a fully juiced cart. But I really have no problem with the cart filling. Even with the cart, like dripping, SOMETIMES it just takes a few puffs to get it "fired up", but Ive found with patience, it eventually does. To me, having to drip every 5-6 puffs, is like having to constantly re light your analog. I really think this is a personal thing, and like me, it just may not be for you.

I use a 510 as my main PV and I put 3 drops on the atty and it's fine, doesn't flood as long as I'm vaping it. I'll put 4 if I'm feeling adventurous. But I think I can do this because I take pretty long drags. I had a few older attys I got from a chinese supplier that actually lasted a lot longer than 5-6 drags and I have no idea why. Now I have a batch of 5 attys from a US supplier. I think 2 of them were crap and I thought the whole batch was bad. But just last night I tried one that I haven't used and it's working great. Only thing is now it's only lasting 5-6 drags like everyone talks about.

So I guess what I'm saying is you never know with attys, you'll get some good ones some bad ones. So if you have any other attys on hand I would try those out and see if you get the same results. The 510 really is a great model and produces large amounts of vapor. You just have to figure out how to make it work. Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to add that it might possibly be a bad atty if it leaks out the side. As for the juice getting in your mouth, you might be dragging too hard. The key is slow long drags to produce more vapor. You can try cleaning the threads on the atty and the battery also. Making sure you have a clean connection usually helps.

Edited by VegasVapor

You have to remember that direct dripping is a way to get more vapor and a better throat hit. Long lasting is not something your going to get from it. Only getting 7 puffs is almost normal. You only get about 7-10 puffs from a cigarette so your pretty much right on par. The problem is people like to vape more than they smoked :)

At the end of the day though it's whatever works better for you.

Heres something Ive noticed - have any of you guys ...

When I fill my cart, if I put it down for about 15 to 20 minutes and THEN vape, the taste and vapor is 85 percent better RIGHT AWAY. As opposed to filling the cart and vaping immediatly. Just my experience. :dribble:

When I fill my cart, if I put it down for about 15 to 20 minutes and THEN vape, the taste and vapor is 85 percent better RIGHT AWAY.

Probably gives the atty some time to cool off. Ive noticed i lose some flavor when my atty gets too hot. :icecream:

Probably gives the atty some time to cool off. Ive noticed i lose some flavor when my atty gets too hot. :icecream:

I thought that too, but it lasts for a longer time as well, I find. Even when the atty gets warm, it produces a better vape than the other way. Might be something about juice getting a chance to soak into the atty ?

I thought that too, but it lasts for a longer time as well, I find. Even when the atty gets warm, it produces a better vape than the other way. Might be something about juice getting a chance to soak into the atty ?

Yeah I've noticed this too, it might possibly be like you said with the atty getting a chance to soak. I also noticed that if you leave too long, it just gets harsh.

Yeah I've noticed this too, it might possibly be like you said with the atty getting a chance to soak. I also noticed that if you leave too long, it just gets harsh.

If leaving it too long means more than 5 minutes, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. I usually have one soaking while ones vaping. I freakin fell ASLEEP with one the other night.

So I been trying out DD. I put 2-3 drops in and I notice at first I dont get great vapor. If I blow in lightly on the battery side of the atty i can hear a little bit of fluid gurgling. To me I think the atty is slightly flooded. As I continue vaping I get pretty good vapor. At this point when I lightly blowin the atty from the battery side I dont hear any fluid. Im guessing as a noob this is where I want my atty. If this is wrong someone please correct me.

I dont want to burn the atty up so after a couple good vapes I usually add a couple more drops which put me at slightly flooded again.

My question is when do you add more. Do you wait for the vapor to lessen dramatically or before that happens? Hard for me to taste a difference also.

Im using a 801 penstyle.

Thanks for any help.

So I been trying out DD. I put 2-3 drops in and I notice at first I dont get great vapor. If I blow in lightly on the battery side of the atty i can hear a little bit of fluid gurgling. To me I think the atty is slightly flooded. As I continue vaping I get pretty good vapor. At this point when I lightly blowin the atty from the battery side I dont hear any fluid. Im guessing as a noob this is where I want my atty. If this is wrong someone please correct me.

I dont want to burn the atty up so after a couple good vapes I usually add a couple more drops which put me at slightly flooded again.

My question is when do you add more. Do you wait for the vapor to lessen dramatically or before that happens? Hard for me to taste a difference also.

Im using a 801 penstyle.

Thanks for any help.

i'm quite new at it but, i can taste it kind of, when it's time to add, plus not as much vapor

once the vapor is less, (generally for me usually it's consistant) then i add some more

chris said somewhere to always make sure the atomizer is moist, it's bad if its dry or something

so try to not let it be dry

Edited by nemesis

When I first tried DD(RN4081 model) I noticed that as the juice ran out the vapor went up slightly then the burnt toast flavor came in and it was time for more.The 510 just add when it drops off or tastes dry.Probably was putting in too much juice at first takes time to figure it out and a weak atty/battery will give you fits...

Hey, figured I'd update you guys.

After my last post I was still not getting it right and went back to my cartridge. Tried a few other cartridge mods, nothing worked right, so I tried dripping again.

Turns out 2 drops was the magic number for my 510 (at least with Arno's juice, not sure if other juice will give different results)

But it's perfect, and I totally get it now. 2 drops lasts um.. 5-7 drags and gives great flavor and vapor. And I can totally pick up when the taste changes and the vapor cuts off, and add another drip or two when I get low.

Thanks for all the advice! Seeing so many people having success with direct dripping inspired me to keep at it, and it finally works!

I have other juice on the way (sadly not VT juice yet, that'll be next but I found a good deal to stock myself up and I hate being low on supplies), finally finishing up the two bottles I got with my initial order, so hopefully that doesn't mess my routine up too much :). If it goes well maybe I'll do a review.