Modify The Plan

jonnoh

Hi all.... made it through the 2nd day vaping and 1st day at work w/o smoking analogues and to top that off we had a required staff meeting after work at a nearby pub which I normally totally enjoy, but this time I was a bit paranoid cuz I normally can easily go through a packet of smokes in one of these sessions. (several colleagues and I always stay long after the meeting to of course discuss the meeting ok and yes talk about who's doing who etc.) Anyway the pub time was awesome for vaping cuz I was the "king of the hill" everyone wanted to know about it. Worse, everyone wanted a hit just to see. I went to a little sundry shop and bought some alcohol preps so I could wipe the tip and let ppl try. Anyway was so busy being popular didn't have time to crave fags. I realize though this is a novelty, so not to get used to it. I think I could have sold 20 starter kits last night. Of course everyone was a bit drunk as was I. Anyway I got home bout midnight and almost skipped on the walk home from the bus, I felt so light and free and of course drunk :) Got home and saw my almost full pk of Dunhills on the table where I left them that morning and immediately my addict's mind took over. I always accomplished odious tasks like washing dishes or other boring stupid stuff like teaching the beginner class by saying to self ok, I'll wash the stupid dishes, of teach the stupid beginner class cuz at least I can smoke after. A very cool reward. This time my addict's mind said to me wow you went all day without a *** so you need to reward yourself with a ***! Well... adding a couple of beers (large) to put a fine polish on my buzz, I managed to finish almost the whole packet. And I was so mixed feeling about it cuz instead of feeling light and airy I now felt heavy and lathargic, yet somehow satisfied. So weird. Anyway I think I shall Joe's advise and maybe get a little more realistic, and cut my day into more manageable chunks like morning coffee time, before work time commuting time work time before lunch etc and become successful at vaping for a fixed piece of time and then maybe the reward trigger won't be so powerful. But on the other hand, maybe that will create more reward triggers. I can't get over though how great I really felt after almost 2 full days of not using analogues, the improvement was amazing so it must be so wonderful for all of you who have gone so much longer. I never personally felt how strong the effects of fags are, and have always said to much younger people things like I'll quit when you can beat me running around the block, even though I know I couldn't do it... tough guy y'know. Well second day of work vaping with new plan and am just on the way to yet another pub. Today I smoked at coffee before work time, vaped commuting vaped at b4 work time, then smoked at lunch time and vaping now at pub time.

Joe's advise...

Uh oh - you mean me? Remember, what works for some folks won't for others. In the end, if it were me I would still set a goal of not buying cigarettes anymore and have a realistic plan to do so. Remember, at this point in time you're replacing one horrible addiction with what many of us believe is a much safer one but an addiction none-the-less. I remember when I felt like having one, and I had 6 or so cigarettes left, I decided to see if vaping really got rid of the urge and it did. Did I still smoke the rest, yes I did. As someone else posted, it might not be exactly the same, and a cigarette might seem better to some folks, but I have to say I don't miss them anymore. Work with what you've experienced, you feel good after vaping, find another reward if you can other than having a cigarette. Having a cigarette as a reward, produces conflicted feelings, failure being one. Next comes "I just can't do it...I had one I might as well have more...I'm a failure, might as well keep smoking..." and so on. So just watch out for that, having said that, also keep an eye out for people you don't know giving advice!!! LOL Just do what works for you.

And vaping definitely comes in handy when drinking. That's when I would smoke through a pack or even two. I've gotten 0 nicotine fluid for those times because there's really no need to have nic every ten minutes, that's just the mental addiction kicking in and the alcohol makes it impossible to ignore.

Thanks FTJoe, yeah I meant you, but couldn't remember the FT part. Don't worry, I just took what you said a bit to heart cuz it makes sense. I'm fine with this and doing really really well. I haven't felt this good since I was 12, and started smoking. It's only been a couple of days. wow awesome etc...... Hope it's the same for you.