Mod Kit Help

pocketplayer

UPDATE: Thanks to a member, it is fixed. The instructions did NOT say their is a polarity

with the LED light...I switched this connection and am in business!

Was SUPER pumped I got my Madvapes 3.7v box mod kit in the mail today.

Here is a pic of the box mod;

Mrs. P's Math Zone!: Box Mod

Stumped as to why no power...charged the battery and all solder joints seem in tact.

Now, SUPER frustrated...

lil help?

Edited by pocketplayer

Try sticking a small screwdriver in between the + end of the battery and the box connector.I have had trouble with some batteries not touching .A drop of solder on the box connector will extend it enough to make if that turns out to be the cause.Also could be the carto is not screwing all the way in .Sometimes they have rough threads and you have to screw them in a few times to smooth out the threads.

Edited by mcquinn

Thanks...got it to work, just can't screw carto all the way down. It was the LED...flipped it around and worked.

The light changes color...red to green...quickly before I am done w/t drag. If I keep dragging it works OK.

I wonder if it is getting full power. The battery lead did not fit well into the slot...and the spring came loose...

sort of dangled. Can't figure how to fasten it back on...tried soldering it to stabilize but didn't hold.

Due to my stellar hot gluing, the unit is solid rick now so no trying to fix and I fear if I mess w/t battery wire

it might break. Better left alone...it does work pretty good...and I have a bad habit of playing w/things until they

break.

After the first one you will soon be a pro and knocking those things off like an assembly line.I don't mess with the LED anymore ,if I get vapor it's on .Radio Shack or Sears has soldering irons and multi meters for reasonable prices and both are very handy to have .

I have a ohm meter...not sure the benefit at this point. After an evening with this kit, the real problem lies in the horn switch connection.

I have to push hard upward on it to get a solid connection. The solder joints were in tact before gluing.

Good advicemcquinn...one down more to g. It was only $8 and when it works, really bangs out hard, so I recommend it highly.

Anyone with the skills would crank this out. They do need to update their instructions on the LED ends...they make it look like

any end will work with the resistor...not the case...must be the longer end which is hard to discern because it was cut at the

same length.

I have the battery (2) 900mAh and charger with 5 new Boge 2.0 carts...and some juice (steeping better add flavor because they

are very average right now). Being stubborn, I might order another and try again. I hate a little black box to defeat me!

If I do order another, anyone want the one I built? I'm sure one w/skills can fix it quick...that is if the hot glue can be removed.

Now that would be good news! This morning it was very moody, this afternoon it feels more broken in

and works consistently. I was about to undo the hot glue (that was some fun reading...anyone got a hot drier).

I will say, this little box packs a punch...900mAh battery...has to be one of the best deals out there for $32

if you build it yourself w/2 batt's, charger, 5 carts Boge 2.0. Hoping the Madvapes juice gets better, thus far,

only the licorice and root beer have any real personality.

under 10 bucks is about right, can get one rigged up in about 5-10 min. but as for your switch,did you soilder the wires to the contacts? if so you might have heated the" legs" to much causeing it to seperate inside the switch. I had one do that to me. new switch might be inorder. just mt .02 cents

Can u elaborate more mega?

I haven't soldered an electrical box since doing an R2D2 in high school

electronics class. When I was soldering this, the connections to the horn

switch were the red wire coming from the + end of the battery and the LED/resistor

seen here;

As I put the hot end of the gun on the legs, I waited for the solder to melt, but it

took a few attempts. I did wonder if the resistor heated up too much in the process.

I did not use flux, but should have read this before to increase success the first time.

The real issue for me was the size of the box...very small and I have large hands making it

a challenge to get my fingers in there to manipulate fittings, especially the step of wrapping the

LED wire around the 510 connector...that seemed impossible to me once the connector was inserted.

See pics for these steps if interested.

$8 box kit...it is the little box that could...hits hard, looks cool, and with some creativity you can paint

it up like a Van Halen guitar!

a little trick i use and i dont use flux, for doing the switch i melt soilder onto the gun first then touch it to wire and leg. that way as little heat goes inside the switch. it is quite possible the inside of switch melted on you and is not making contact correctly.

I think those require a switching circut .The micro switches are like a tactile switch ,are rated at 5 amps and they end up recessed the way I do it so they don't get accidenaly pushed.They also fit in the AA slot snug enough about anything will hold them in place.I have used super glue ,epoxy and even Elmers glue.I suspect the Super glue outgassed and coated the contacts with something as I had to change two of the ones I put in with that.You should give one a try.I need to spring for a Exacto plastic saw to make cutting the boxes a little easier.A dremel works pretty good .