Adding A Mini Usb Charger/passthrough

Rip Topaz

I've built a few 3.7v box mods now, and would like to get a bit more complex.

I'd like to add a mini USB jack to my mods, either for charging, passthrough, or (hopefully) both. Unfortunately, there isn't alot out there as far as wiring diagrams for this sort of thing.

Can anyone help?

I have built box mods and passthroughs but never considered combining the two.It would take some circcutry.Jolly would be the source for that info.I am not sure it would be worth the trouble though.I just cut the cord off an old USB keyboard or mouse and wired in the place of the battery in things similar to a box mod.You can get creative after you hook the atty connecter,switch and cord you could mold epoxy putty around that and shape it any way you like.I modded a few car adapters into passthroughs.They are very inexpensive at Goodwill.

That's my main reason for wanting to build a passthrough, no reason to kill batteries in the car. I have a USB connection in my van, and I know how to build a simple passthrough. I was just kinda hoping to add the charging ability.

The Joye 510 passthroug with the battery box is a prebuilt version of what you want to build.It can be used unplugged or plugged and is 3.7 volts.Adapters can be had to use about any atty/carto.And is usually less than $20.00.I used the Janty Kissbox Passthrough which is a deluxe 302 version and I loved them.But with 14500 box mods as my main sled I don't bother with the wires any more and get 4 to 8 hours from a battery.The Ego passthrough battery is also a prebuilt version.

Edited by mcquinn

Yeah I'm not really in any actual NEED of a wired box. I just want to make one!!

I just made the switch to 14500 mods myself, with eGo batts for when I'm out and about. Haven't had to change batteries once yet. Pretty cool considering this time last week, I was swapping KR808's every hour or so all day long. That got annoying QUICK!!

Instead of buying the box mods, I've really gotten into making my own. I started with Madvapes 3.7v mod kit, sort of. I pieced a couple of them together ala carte. Being a woodworker, I had no desire to use cheap plastic battery boxes to house my mods. Yuk.

It took about a week of playing around in the shop for me to come up with a design I felt worked well for the intended purpose, but I think I finally have a good start at making my own box mods. I plan to continue, and just see how cool of a mod I can create. Next up will be 5v and VV mods.

Here's my first mod. 3.7v, really easy one.

45132fec.jpg

My second mod came out pretty good. I think the inside of the first one came out ALOT cleaner but I can still live with it.

9c301812.jpg

I love the way the maple looks. I actually roasted it in the oven for about an hour. Darkens the wood a bit and really makes the grain pop.

Nice looking mods.I am not really looking for more hobbies so I just throw together the plastic boxes .I did however find a way better switch at RadioShack ,it is a microswitch that when in use feels like a tacile switch ,can be recessed and handles 5 amps.Just have to remove the lever.They are not too bad to install just carve the box a little instead of drilling a hole.The usual switches seem to get a little rough on the fingertip after a while.Haven't tried the horn button cause I like mine on the side close to the atty/carto.

The horn buttons aren't bad, just a little bigger than I'd like. I like the soft clicking of the switch, but yeah. Too big.

I'm gonna have to run to Radio Shack and spend some time looking around. It's been awhile.

I grabbed one of those C&K switches when I placed this last order, but it's not really practical on a wooden box. It requires a very thin, like 1/16" or so, spot to mount it. That would make a pretty weak spot right where the box is taking the most abuse. Plus, the metal washer and nut is kinda gaudy and ugly against certain grains. Eventually I'll find a use for the switch though.

Edited by Rip Topaz

• 1 month later...

if you are looking at the top side of the usb the furthest right mini usb pin is + voltage, and furthest left is -

i use and sell a lot of those connectors.. making the hole just right for them can sometimes be a pain if you are going for super clean.. mostly because they arent a box shape like the larger ports you would see on a computer. however you can just cut a square and call it a day ;)

if you are looking at the top side of the usb the furthest right mini usb pin is + voltage, and furthest left is -

i use and sell a lot of those connectors.. making the hole just right for them can sometimes be a pain if you are going for super clean.. mostly because they arent a box shape like the larger ports you would see on a computer. however you can just cut a square and call it a day ;)

Now will this work for charging or just as power for a pass through? How do I hook up the USB connector to allow me to charge 2 14500's while still in the box?

• 3 weeks later...

would like to see the outcome of this thread. just built me a box mod then decided to add a charge feature. it charges and all but u cant use it during the charging. maybe i hooked it up wrong. idk im still learning, have no clue about potenmizers or what ever they are called. lol