Dual Coil Voltage Under Load Question

Hi Everyone,

I am really becoming a big fan of the Dual Coil Cartomizers. I am mostly using them on my new Totally Twisted VMU PV at 4.2V and they are fantastic. At night I like to vape with my AltSmoke Alpha with a 900mah 14500 battery. The battery produces 4.2V fully charged but under the load of the Dual Coil Cartomizer, it only produces 3.65 or 3.7V and quickly drops down from there...3.6, 3.55, 3.5v etc. as I vape.

I am thinking that the Dual Coil Cartomizer is very hard on a single 14500 battery mod and I was wondering if a mod with an 18650 battery (3000mah, 3.7V) would be able to maintain 3.7V for longer. Also, I was wondering if maybe a High Drain or IMR 14500 battery would do better with Dual Coil Cartos? I already ordered a pair of IMR 14500's from Avid Vaper last night as most vendors seem to be out of stock!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Emile

All I know is that the RED AW / IMR HIGH DRAIN BATTERIES kick some major censored.gif!!

They are the best battery to use in 3.7v mods with LR attys/cartos.

Check em out! I use the AW / HIGH DRAIN 18650/1600 mah (LIKE THIS), and even the smaller 18490/1100 mah (LIKE THIS), in my Empire and they rock that thing all day and then some. The power curve is excellent on these and they barely drop off until they are about done with.

"AW batteries are well known for being the best.

You simply can't get a better battery than the AW."

"AW's IMR High Drain rechargeable battery chemistry is safer than Li-Ion, offers faster discharge rates, and is better suited for high power applications."

Nearly everyone is sold out... but I did find the 14500's here: BATTERY

Edited by DAYVAPE

Yes indeed... they are very much beasts ! They pair perfectly with LR attys/cartos... I use the 18650 in my Silver Bullet as well and that thing hits like a tank for hours! I really like how they hardly drop off at all during use... at least it's not very noticeable at all anyway. thumbsup.gif

Here's another source for AW batteries (a thread on ECF). It's a long thread, but you only need to read the first couple of posts to figure out how to place an order. Everyone seems to be quite happy with them. I haven't ordered, but am considering it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-suppliers-forum/155889-new-aw-battery-importers-exporters-america-shipping-worldwide.html

Thanks for the advice and the references, guys. I ordered three of the red AW 14500 High Drain batteries last night to try with the Alpha. And I just ordered an Omega because I am dying to try out a PV that uses an 18650 battery. My wallet is having a heart attack right now but whatever.

Trust me... you will not be disappointed in the performance of the High Drain's! They are all I use.. a huge difference. You get that 'fresh off the charger' experience for the entire time until it needs charged. The trade off is the lower ohm rating and shorter time between charges. But I can certainly deal with that... you just know to have more than one at the ready. thumbsup.gif

Edited by DAYVAPE

Okay so the IMR 14500's I ordered came in the mail today. They have no nipples so they didn't work in any of my box mods, but they work in the Alpha. Fully charged, it's putting out 4.18V but under load of a dual coil cartomizer, it only runs at 3.6V like a regular 14500.

The AW High Drains should be here tomorrow so I'll charge those up and give them a try also.

I actually take it back, last night I was doing some heavy vaping with the Alpha + IMR 14500 + Dual Coil Carto for an hour or two and the battery kept maintaining that 3.6V. I was just expecting it to produce 4.2V under load and that was a bit of a let-down but it seemed to maintain that 3.6V much better than a regular 14500 Li-Ion battery. There is definitely something special about these IMR/high drain batteries.

Okay bump one more time just in case this information helps anyone else out.

Omega + Ultrafire 18650 3000mah + Dual Coil Cartomizer only delivers 3.6V just like the Alpha so no boost in performance there. BUT!! When I rock Omega + AW High Drain 18650 + Dual Coil Cartomizer, I am pumping out 3.9V under load!! And voltage only drops down to 3.8X as the battery gets low. Now that is some impressive shizzle! I can totally rock out with a Dual Coil Carto at 3.8V-3.9V.