M401 Joye510 Comparison/review

I own an m401 model e-cig (known as the Dragon). This was my first e-cig. In my review I touted how awesome it was. How it practically made me dinner and paid my parking tickets. Since the time that I got the 401 I also ordered a Joye510 e-cig. Partly because of all the chatter on forums about how completely awesome it was. This e-cig would not only make me dinner and pay my parking tickets but it would also tuck me in at night and battle extra terrestrial aliens hell bent on stealing my socks to performing unmentionable atrocities on them.

I got my 510 about a week ago from healthcabin.Net. I won’t get into my thoughts on Healthcabin.net, service, shipping, etc. here because that’s not what this review is about. Suffice it to say I was pleased all around. My 510 is the titanium model offered by healthcabin. It came with two atomizers, two batteries, and a 5 pack of high Marlboro flavored whistle tip carts. I also ordered an extra battery and two more atomizers while I was there (plus some juice, but again, I won’t get into that here so stop asking). I’ve been using the 510 almost exclusively this week in order to get a better idea of how it works, best ways to use it, and how it compares to my 401. So, here is my comparison/review for your pleasure.

Or not. Would it be pleasurable ? Whatever.

Ok, so what are the big things we look for in e-cigs? Vapor production, ability to deliver throat hit, battery life, atomizer life, flavor delivery, looks, anything else? What am I missing? I think that’s everything. Let’s get to it.

1. Looks

• M401
      Ok, the 401 wins this one hands down. The model I have is The Dragon from TrueSmoker.com so I’m biased here. This 401 is matte black with a gold dragon silk screened on it. Very sexy. Most of the other 401s I’ve seen are either black or white, your basic standard color combinations. I give this a 5 out of 5 for looks.

dragon-800x600-10.jpg?w=300

As I mentioned the 510 I got is titanium colored. These models come in a variety of colors – white, black, copper, silver/titanium, etc. I haven’t seen any with any designs on them, but that does not mean they don’t exist. Either way, this is a very nice looking unit. I give this a 3 out of 5 for looks, nice but nothing really special.

titanium-joye510-standard-kit.jpg?w=300

• Other thoughts
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Looks do not directly affect vaping functionality. Really? Wow, thanks for that Karate. The point is, keep it in mind but try not to put too much emphasis on it.

[*]Battery life

2. M401
    The 401 has fantastic battery life. I’ve gotten up to 7 hours on one battery. There are many factors that contribute to battery life. One of the main factors is whether or not the battery is automatic (activates when you drag on the e-cig) or manual (push button activation). The 401 comes with an automatic battery, increasing battery life because there is a shutoff point when you’re pulling on it. On average I get about 5 hours out of one battery. I give a 5 out of 5 here again.

3. 510
    Battery life is not nearly as long as the 401. On a great day I’ve gotten close to 4 hours from one battery. On average I’d say I get about 2.5 solid hours out of the batteries. By solid I mean if you add all the time together it amounts to close to 2.5 hours. I’d rate these a 2 out of 5.

4. Other thoughts
    Battery life is very dependent on vaping habits. If you’re a chain vaper do not expect to get the hours I stated above. I’m not a chain vaper. I take a few drags (up to 6, usually around 4) then put the unit away for a while – anywhere from 15 minutes to hours. So keep this in mind because YMMV (your mileage may vary).

[*]Atomizer life

I’ve had my 401 for a little over a month and I’ve burned one atty out. It took about 3.5 weeks to happen. I believe it was user error that caused the burn out, but I can’t say for sure. I’ve had the 510 for a week with no problems. Since I really haven’t had these units long I can’t give you guys a good idea, based on my experience, of how long they should (or tend to) last.

[*]Vaping experience

I’m going to cover three things here – vapor production, throat hit, and flavor delivery.

• Vapor Production

• M401
        The #1 biggest complain I’ve read about regarding the 401 is vapor production. And automatic batteries. The TWO major complaints I’ve read about the 401 are vapor production, automatic batteries, and leakage … AMONGST the complaints regarding the 401 are such diverse elements as vapor production, automatic batteries, and leakage. Uh … yeah. So, anyway, the m401 produces decent vapor, more so when dripping/dipping than using carts. I have noticed, however, that the juice in use can also affect vapor production, as can the use of automatic batteries since you can’t really control how hot the atomizer gets. Some e-juice produces more vapor regardless. The vapor produced by the 401 is BY FAR not anemic. Definitely adequate and closely resembles that of a regular analogue cigarette. My understanding is that manual batteries for the 401 should be hitting the market soon (no, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SOON SO DO NOT ASK) and that may change opinions on vapor production (as well as vapor production itself). I would give this a 3 out of 5.

If you’ve spent any time on the internet researching e-cigs you know about the 510. People love this unit because of its ability to create clouds of vapor. The closest I’ve seen to actual analogue smoke. I’ve created a hanging vapor cloud in my basement, reminiscent of when I smoked actually cigarettes in a room, using the 510. I simply cannot do that with the 401. Vapor production on this unit is fantastic. I’m going to give it a 4 out of 5. I can’t bring myself to give it a 5. Not sure why.

[*]Throat hit

• M401
      I get throat hit from the 401. Some people say it does not give enough throat hit. This is another one of those highly subjective things – if you’re looking for “great” throat hit this is probably not gonna give that to you. The atomizer does not get hot enough for that. I give it a 3 out of 5

The 510 gives me roughly the same throat hit as the 401. Although at times it seems more. It’s looking like the more I use it, the more I “break in” the atty, the more throat hit I get. Also, how long I drag and if I let the unit heat up before dragging gives greater throat hit. So, I give this a 4 out of 5 on throat hit.

[*]Flavor Delivery

• M401
      I get fantastic flavor from the 401. IF the juice is right, otherwise you’re getting nothing. When you’ve got good juice there is definitely flavor. 4 out of 5 here.

Same here. I’ve read people say they get less or no flavor on their 510. I’ve gotten the same, and sometimes more flavor, on mine. No, I can’t explain why. Everyone is different. 4 out of 5 as well.

[*]Final Thoughts

Like everything else, YMMV with these units. One thing I have noticed is that the 510 sucks when using carts. I have yet to pack and fill my own carts, so my thoughts on this may change. The 401, on the other hand, is fantastic with carts. It might have something to do with design, or cart filler, or the phases of the moon for all I know.

Thanks again MunkusBFunky. I was afraid it would too long to be of use, but someone told me to go ahead and post it regardless because no one would read it anyway so it wouldn't matter :lol:

The 510 is a great unit, and each has its place in my world. I like the 401 when out and about because the carts are working better for me now (getting tired of all the crack head, and "that looks like more of a pain in the rear than it's worth", comments I get from friends and family when I pull out my juice). The 510 is great when chilling at home and stuff, I'm used to my wife calling me a crack head. :lol:

LOL. My fiance is so glad I'm not smoking analogs she doesn't care how weird it might be, my co workers are impressed. Hell my boss was the one that told me i could vape inside, didn't even have to ask him. The size his eyes got when i showed it to him :lol: , he is a ex-smoker, priceless.

Haven't hung out with the friend crowd yet some will proly love it... you get the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my M401 but am still looking for the atty that lasts more than 4 days. Maybe I should buy some dragon attys for mine and see if they work longer. hummmmm :P I get good vapor though it does get hot. I am a chain vapor head so that may be why mine burn up so fast and it does get quite warm.

Edited by Compenstine

I like my M401 but am still looking for the atty that lasts more than 4 days. Maybe I should buy some dragon attys for mine and see if they work longer.

Definitely try one of the atty's from Truesmoker, he carry's good quality stuff. :jump:

now can the m401 battery fit on a 510 or a 901???? if so i am getting the battiery

No the threads are not compatible unfortunately... there are adapters out there, but they look like crap.

Interestingly enough a 510 atty will screw on to a 401 atty, and 510 batt will screw on a 401 batt <----- Don't actually try that last part... exploding battery's not good.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines