Bottom Feeder Or Vape Mate?

I've been wanting to get away from cartomizers for a while (sorry DAYVAPE :( ) because for driving and vaping they can just be a pain. And they don't last as long as an atomizer. Day for day, price for price, flavor for flavor, atties, to me, seem the way to go. And I drive often enough to make it worthwhile. Hoping for a driving vacation this summer and don't want to deal with cartos on the road.

So, I'm asking for all of your opinions. YEAH! I know a number of you have bottom feeders, like Old Goat's Mod, an Ali'i, or something else. And I know a few of you have a VapeMate. I know some of you (lucky ducks) have both.

I don't want too much hassle. I can just see getting a bottom feeder's bottle out of its box being a hassle despite a ribbon to help pull it out. I don't want liquid to spurt everywhere when I do it. I also don't want to have to work too hard to get the liquid into the atty, like tipping it too much and squeezing seems to me like a recipe for another liquid disaster.

I know you can get some tubing to work with the bottles in the VapeMate, can you do the same thing with a bottom feeder, you know, to help the liquid go up? The one thing I don't really like about the VapeMate is its top heaviness, even if you use a five milliliter bottle. But the box mods/bottom feeders seem like awkward things to hold in your hand.

I'm not over worried about price, Old Goat's Box and VapeMate seem about the same. I'd love an Ali'i, but I can't get motivated enough to wait and hope I get in on the next set of ordering. And it's pricey. Plus, I already have a beautiful wood mod (Tulipwood, thanks Mark!).

What info do you have, folks, what do you think? Give me pros, cons, ideas, thoughts, links... whatever you've got to help my decision is appreciated. :)

I've been wanting to get away from cartomizers for a while (sorry DAYVAPE :( ) because for driving and vaping they can just be a pain. And they don't last as long as an atomizer. Day for day, price for price, flavor for flavor, atties, to me, seem the way to go. And I drive often enough to make it worthwhile. Hoping for a driving vacation this summer and don't want to deal with cartos on the road.

So, I'm asking for all of your opinions. YEAH! I know a number of you have bottom feeders, like Old Goat's Mod, an Ali'i, or something else. And I know a few of you have a VapeMate. I know some of you (lucky ducks) have both.

I don't want too much hassle. I can just see getting a bottom feeder's bottle out of its box being a hassle despite a ribbon to help pull it out. I don't want liquid to spurt everywhere when I do it. I also don't want to have to work too hard to get the liquid into the atty, like tipping it too much and squeezing seems to me like a recipe for another liquid disaster.

I know you can get some tubing to work with the bottles in the VapeMate, can you do the same thing with a bottom feeder, you know, to help the liquid go up? The one thing I don't really like about the VapeMate is its top heaviness, even if you use a five milliliter bottle. But the box mods/bottom feeders seem like awkward things to hold in your hand.

I'm not over worried about price, Old Goat's Box and VapeMate seem about the same. I'd love an Ali'i, but I can't get motivated enough to wait and hope I get in on the next set of ordering. And it's pricey. Plus, I already have a beautiful wood mod (Tulipwood, thanks Mark!).

What info do you have, folks, what do you think? Give me pros, cons, ideas, thoughts, links... whatever you've got to help my decision is appreciated. :)

what I started doing is putting a drip tip onto the cartomizer and dripping into the cart that way. It always stays moist.

I did that for a bit, too, Tags, but what ended up happening, to me anyway (YMMV), was the liquid kept going straight down the cartomizer hole and never hitting the batting in it. So it leaked everywhere. Also, not the best thing to do while on the highway, dripping, even into carto. Thanks for the thought, though, you're a peach. :aso::)

Personally, I would get a bottom feeder. Check out the REOsMods bottom feeders, they use a tube instead of a needle. Plus they're super sturdy airplane metal material, have a catch cup for your over squeezes, and are totally mechanical... no button to damage/fry or replace. Reosmods.com

Personally, I would get a bottom feeder. Check out the REOsMods bottom feeders, they use a tube instead of a needle. Plus they're super sturdy airplane metal material, have a catch cup for your over squeezes, and are totally mechanical... no button to damage/fry or replace. Reosmods.com

That also describes the Ali'i effectively(except for the metal) I hope to receive mine this week and will be able to speak from first hand experience rather then just YouTube knowledge.

In deciding bottom feeder for me it came down to my needs - I take long road trips, I mean long. I have been known to drive for 16 hours straight with only gas and bio breaks so I needed something with good battery life, but easy to use and a large enough bottle to hold me over a long time. With the 6 ml bottle and the smaller 16340 batteries for the VV model I can carry a couple of sets of batteries easily in the car and be good all day with out issue.

The vape mate worried me with the awkward arm and exposed bottle. Given how little room and storage I have in the roadster it just wouldn't have had a good place to be set down while not in use.

I hope to get my Ali'i within a day or two so more thoughts after I test her out.

I did that for a bit, too, Tags, but what ended up happening, to me anyway (YMMV), was the liquid kept going straight down the cartomizer hole and never hitting the batting in it. So it leaked everywhere. Also, not the best thing to do while on the highway, dripping, even into carto. Thanks for the thought, though, you're a peach. :aso::)

No dont drip and drive. it is dangerous! with a Vape Mate I would be afraid I would get pulled over..lol.. I have my wet box and my hand covers the open area where you squeeze the bottle. I dont dare take my goose neck adapter in the car just because I fear so much. I simply just use my wet box or my eGo T in the car.

Edited by Tagsanstuff

The Old Goat mod I just got has a tube in the bottle that feeds up through the needle into the atty. I use a LR carto on mine, actually. I don't know why - I just like it better. But Aimee, honestly, it is the most hassle free thing ever. It's little enough to fit in my hand. I drive a LOT these days. First to one clinical site (20 miles), then 40 miles to work, then 30 miles back home at night, and I keep my little Old Goat mod on a lanyard when I drive. It's the most hassle free thing you can imagine. And cheap enough to make it an easy try out.

I have an old goat's mod and an Ali'i. I think they are both about as hassle-free as you can get. The bottles (on either mod) go in and out with no hassle whatsoever. Easy. Pop out, fill, pop back in. I have never had juice squirt anywhere. I have had a drop of juice come out the tip when I squeezed the bottle before getting it back in place, but that's it. I don't have to tip either mod to get juice in the atty. And to squeeze the bottle, you just press on the bottle for a couple of seconds and you're good to go. No mess, no fuss, no worries. The batteries pop in and order as easily as the bottles do. Really, I've never had less hassle with vaping than I do with these two mods. With the old goat's mod, you can get the lanyard to go with it so you can wear it around your neck while driving - which means you'll never drop it on the floor while going down the road. Perfect!! I don't find either mod to be awkward in my hand. The old goat is very small and can be easily hidden in your hand. The Ali'i is bigger and cannot be hidden in your hand - or at least not completely in my hand - but it's not big and awkward either. It is pricey, but because it uses the bigger juice bottle and bigger battery (which I really love), and because it is so beautifully crafted from wood, I think it's well worth the price. Believe me, my first choice would have been to buy one of these from Mark, but since he doesn't make them :crybaby: and has no plans to make them in the near future, I had to go with the Ali'i.

Going with a bottom feeder was an easy decision for me. From the very first time I heard of them - more than a year ago now - I wanted to try one. The only problem was that they weren't getting good reviews at first, so I held off. These new models are getting great reviews - with good reason. I love mine, but I doubt they are for everyone.

I looked at those Reo's.... Beautiful! And not in stock. :(

And then I realized something just now reading over this post: When I drive, I love having my eGo planted between my fingers and on the steering wheel while I drive until I need to take a hit, just like I did with analogs. Well, it's a little different motion, but it's the same idea. And I realized it's part of my smoking --now vaping-- ritual and staying awake measures in the morning. So unless I hear back from you all with the wetbox mods that I can do this (I'm guessing I have to set the box down or use a lanyard and can't hold it between my fingers), I'm going to go with VapeMate.

A little more info on that holding position: It's like having a pen in my hand, albeit, a larger, heavier one, and with the tip in the air.

Thank you all for your help and thanks in advance for anymore coming my way over night.

The Ali'i is a bit big for holding while driving. The OG juice box is much smaller and can be held comfortably in the hand while driving (I know this from experience) and you don't have to put it down or use a lanyard, but I don't think it would work well being held between the fingers like an analog. But...I also can't see hold the VapeMate that way either. I think it would cause the PV to be "top heavy". I don't know for sure. I think Brian has one, so maybe he'll let you know.

I agree with Nana on all points. The VapeMate is handy to have as it will fit onto almost any regular eCig, however it will be quite difficult to hold it between your fingers. I hold my eGo that way sometimes, and even vape it that way often when it's not inside it's Lanyard.

Truth be told, I still use both... my eGo and my OG. Filled with different juices and strengths and each with different atty. I can't imagine doing without either one.

Good luck with whatever you decide and happy vaping!

I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a VapeMate. As I was taking a long drive, I realized that it would work just fine as I imagined it up above the cone. This was I also don't have to deal with a different kind of battery and can use all my eGos and the backups when the time comes. It should also fit well into the eGo carrying case I have along with spare liquid, spare atty, and spare battery. I don't think any of the wetboxes will fit.

I really appreciate all of you suggesting all the things you did. I do still have my eye on the Reo Mini and that may be a purchase down the road because I do have batteries and a charger for my Mark's Mod. I just can't wrap my head around the interior looking the way it does in the other wetboxes. I know you won't see it when it's used, it's just a personal thing. For some reason this does not bother me in the Mark's Mod. Maybe because no liquid bottle goes in there. To each her own, right?

Thanks again, you all are fabulous! I'll let you know how it goes after I receive it sometime early next week.

Aimee, I'm glad to read you were able to make a decision. I know I hemmed and hawwed over buying a Mod. What I really wanted wasn't even close to my budget. The funny part is that I have spent lots of money buying eGo batteries, and I have a nice collection, because I know they are good and dependable. But spending a little bit more then the cost of my first eGo Kit, threw me for a loop.

I know you are going to be patiently waiting for your Vape Mate to arrive in the mail!!!! LOL Can't wait to hear all about your new toy!! thumbsup.gif

Aimee, I have the Vapemate, Maptank and Stormtanks, I really like and use them all. I had a Phidius which is a beautiful well made wood mod and works great but I found I really like the tube mods better. So if at all possible try to borrow a box mod prior to purchasing one as you may find they are just not as compatable with your vaping style. I think you will really like the Vapemate. :thumbsup: