Atomizer Seal

Is it possible for an atty to have a bad seal? I'm having some issues with a new atty (no, I have not yet tried a different one) and was wondering if it was possible for one to have a bad seal against the battery. As in too much air is getting in through the holes on the side of the atty but not enough to activate the battery.

Symptoms are:

• Battery activates for a very short period of time, if I pull like a crazy mofo it activates again but then deactivates again
  • lots of whistling
  • if I plug three holes I do not get deactivation, but I have to pull like a mofo (and I look like I'm smoking a joint, not good at work)
  • have to pull like my life depends on it to get some vapor and keep the battery from deactivating

I've tried multiple batteries for the same effect. The atty gets hot so it's not that it's dead (plus it's brand new). I realize the first answer will be "Try a different atty you moran!" but in the spirit of troubleshooting I'd like to know if anyone else has run into this, or a similar, issue.

Edited by KarateLobster

Hmmm That doesn't actually sound like an atty problem. But here are some things you can do

1. Take the battery off of the atomizer. Now take a draw from the atomizer on it's own, is the pull harder than your other atomizer? If so then it's clogged and needs to be either A. Blown through B. Washed C. Thrown away

2. If the above doesn't work, then it could be the batteries (both of them) The issue with auto batteries is that the liquid gets inside of them, fast. When that happens the switch doesn't stay on which causes the battery to either flicker or only stay on for a short period of time. The only thing that can be done to fix this is A. Take a paper clip and push it into the hole back and forth to loosen up the sensor. B. Tap the battery C. Cry, then trash it.

Let me know if that helps :)

Well, it looks like you may have been partially right. After messing with it yesterday, and practically getting an aneurysm trying to vape with it, I may have fixed the problem. This morning I put the unit together and took a drag. NOTHING! AHH! Not good. So, of course, I pulled again and got a whole lot of nothing. I pulled a third time, like my life depended on it, and still nothing. I pulled the cart off and right there, in the middle of the atty under the mesh, was a white hot fireball! A pin point of glowing magma. I almost crapped my pants thinking "Great. Now I've fried this atty. And it's only 6 am. Why am I only wearing a tie? What did I do last night? Are those the cops?" So I put a few drops of juice on the atty, said a small prayer, put it all bag together and BINGO! It works now. I've been blowing it out, and the draw without the battery was fine. I'm thinking that there may have been something on the coil that was causing problems and just needed to burn off (maybe a break-in period of some sort?). So now it's working like champ. I just hope I haven't lowered its life expectancy in some way.

I had this problem once and I was told that different batteries and attys are not compatible i.e. RN w/SLB (aka DSE) Trying all the combinations drove me nutz!!

I had used several different suppliers and finally the guy i bought the last group from said just send everything back and I will give you a credit.

Well I think it may be a good idea to purchase some new attys anyway. It's funny I have about 20 penstyle attys here, and one day I placed an RN model in the Janty stick (which normally works fine) and that sucker lit up like a candle, I was like "holy crap" I'll have to take some video as it still does it.

I just stopped using it and went to another atty. But hey if it's working great! Glad you got it all sorted out.

Well, I may have spoken too soon. It looks like it may be a specific battery now and not the atty. Which is odd since the atty was doing it regardless of what battery I used. So I've used the paperclip method mentioned, I also rolled up some paper towel pieces into a sort of wick which I stuck in there to soak up any juice (came out empty),and I banged it around a good bit. nothing seems to work. The battery is not completely dead as it does work, I just have to pull until my face nearly caves in to get any vapor. They are all 401 parts from the same supplier, and I know it's not rare to get a not-so-perfect piece of equipment. I'll keep messing with it, and will consider contacting the supplier to get a replacement or something (not sure I will as this was a replacement for another battery). Either way, worst comes to worst, I can maybe use the parts to build a battery box or USB pass through.

In the mean time I've put an order in for a titanium/silver 510 with some extra atty's and an extra battery. I figure it's time to expand the collection of PVs I have and get a manual one to use as a comparison and for when I'm out somewhere not conducive to auto batteries (like anywhere with loud music).

Have you tried drawing off the battery without the atty? If you still have the same issue then you know for sure it's the battery.

I would talk to JD and see what he says. That's one of the reasons we no longer use the auto batteries, the failure rate is just to high. Also if dripping is going to become your normal thing (which it is for most) I actually recommend the Janty Stick over the 510. Although the 510 creates clouds of vapor, one of the common issues is liquid leaking out of the atomizer holes. Which of course gets all over your hand. It's not a huge deal but can get annoying when your on the go. With the Janty Stick however I've never had it leak, it was great on my trip to Cabo, I didn't have to worry about juice getting all over my hand etc. Just some food for thought

If I blow into the battery it lights right up. Same goes if I draw on the battery with no atty. It seems to be this particular battery/atty combo, which is odd. It seems to be working better now anyway, which means there be gremlins in my shizz. I really can't explain it.

Oh, and thanks for the Janty Stick heads up. While I'm ready to experiment with another unit, I don't think I'm quite at the point of using something that does not resemble an analogue in shape and size. I get enough crap using the Dragon (one friend calls it a FIG for fake cigarette lol). Busting out with the Janty would be too much to deal with at this point :blush:

Edited by KarateLobster

Understood I felt the same way.

Well I think you will be happy with the 510. The 401 batteries are notorious for being a little crazy. They are chipped batteries and don't work quite the same way the DSE's and RN's work. There is an article about them some place. The air sensor in side is different from most ecigs which is why they are so touchy. There where times my 401 battery would turn on just because it was windy outside, but then I'd try to take a draw and nothing. Figures.

• 1 month later...