Cartomizer Cleaning Gone Wrong

So I've decide that I love my Boge cartos and want to extend their life.....I watched videos and read post and taken cleaning advice from all u savvy cleaners out there in VT land, but ended up killing them instead. :whistle: I didn't mean too.

So where did I go wrong?

I rinsed 15 cartos in water, let soak for 10 min in alcohol, rinsed and re rinsed, then gently boiled for 10 min. Rinsed two more times, blew them out and let them sit for a week or so to dry. I loaded all 15 yesterday. 5 worked like champs, 1 was just dead nothing at all, and 9 burned up. They all worked going in, they really didn't need cleaning I suppose, but I tried a batch of juice I hated and wanted to get rid of their bad flavors.

Any ideas as to what happened is appreciated. I just went ahead and threw them out since I practice crazed back up habits, but I'm still seriously disappointed with my life saving efforts.

Thanks

i have to be honest and say that i have had no real luck, at least not to the point where there are much better than they were before i boiled them, in other words, still clogged, still hard to draw, i wish i knew the answer, juliery does make it seem so simple doesnt she?

I don't bother wasting time trying to actually "clean" cartos either... just seems like a lot of work for such an inexpensive product. Heck, I figure if a carto lasts me up to a week anyway, then I'm totally stoked with that... especially since they are meant to be "disposable" anyway. Besides... there's nothing better than fillin' up that fresh/clean carto and just tearin' it up!!! I mean really... there comes a time when a carto is as brown and nasty as it should ever get in it's lifespan. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I don't bother wasting time trying to actually "clean" cartos either... just seems like a lot of work for such an inexpensive product. Heck, I figure if a carto lasts me up to a week anyway, then I'm totally stoked with that... especially since they are meant to be "disposable" anyway. Besides... there's nothing better than fillin' up that fresh/clean carto and just tearin' it up!!! I mean really... there comes a time when a carto is as brown and nasty as it should ever get in it's lifespan. :thumbsup:

if they would last me a week i would be in heaven!!!! mine aren't lasting me a day :( (can i go cry in the corner now?)

I can't get cartos to last very long either - never more than a couple of days. I'm on my last two and when they are gone, I won't be buying any more. I used to try cleaning cartos and attys, but gave it up because it just never works for me.

I'm guessin' it has alot to do with the quality of the juice we use in them... the PG/VG ratio... how we each vape in particular... and several other variables. I think it's really interesting although, to see how some people love them and won't use anything else (ME)... and then you have those that hate them and say that they really suck. It simply MUST have a lot to do with 'operator error' or 'operator success' in each persons use of them.... thats the only logical thing I can come up with! Otherwise, there wouldn't be such varying opinions on them from one person to the next. I have nothing but pure vaping pleasure and enjoyment with all of my BOGE CARTOS!! And for that... I'm a happy man. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

oh no so sorry for your carto trouble

I actually do clean mine, and I've been having pretty good luck with it too. But I don't wait until it's gunky dirty either. I wait till I have about 3 or 4 I want to clean ...

I blow em' out, rinse thm thru with hot water in the sink, plop em in a glass pyrex measuring cup about 3/4 full with hot water, stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes, take it out stir em around with a fork, dump off the water , fill 3/4 full again with hot water and nuke another 3 minutes. (Forgot to mention have the oven heating at 275 deg. while i'm nuking) THen I stir again, dump out the water, put a little cool water in the cup and swish around to cool em off real fast then I rinse them under the tap again with warm water and blow em out again. I made this little cookie sheet out of aluminum foil, I lay em out on that and put in the oven anywhere from 30 minuts to 2 hours , Only takes about 30 minutes but i've forgotten and left them up to 2 hours and they still worked like a champ. This sounds like much more of a process then it actually is and I dont know why it's fine in the microwave maybe because most of the carto is covered in a sticker, or maybe because they are covered in water I don't know but my microwave is just fine with it and it's much less of a pain to clean a couple at a time this way then saving them all up and boiling on the stove. BTW this only with the boge soft tip cartos with the metal sticker coverd body.

I'm guessin' it has alot to do with the quality of the juice we use in them... the PG/VG ratio... how we each vape in particular... and several other variables. I think it's really interesting although, to see how some people love them and won't use anything else (ME)... and then you have those that hate them and say that they really suck. It simply MUST have a lot to do with 'operator error' or 'operator success' in each persons use of them.... thats the only logical thing I can come up with! Otherwise, there wouldn't be such varying opinions on them from one person to the next. I have nothing but pure vaping pleasure and enjoyment with all of my BOGE CARTOS!! And for that... I'm a happy man. :thumbsup:

dont get me wrong i do LOVE cartos, i just cant get them to last a whole day... and it seems im not alone

Oh, I see what you are saying... and no, they won't last an entire day by any means. The way I treat it is basically like a carto that I 'direct drip' into. I will have a 'vape session' until I have got my fix, set it down till I'm ready again, then just pop off the drip tip and add about 10 drops or so until it's full again. In other words... I just 'top off' before each session and that way I know it will taste fresh every time. Really quite simple... and I get a hell of a lot more 'hits' off of a carto than I do when direct dripping on an atty. Not to mention, I actually PREFER the flavor and vapor production that I get out of my cartos, even more than the atty. Also, it's nice to know that I will NEVER have to worry about getting that 'burnt/harsh' hit that you get when your atty is low/out of juice, and I know you know what I'm talkin' about. LOL. I CAN'T STAND THAT! :thumbsup:

oh no so sorry for your carto trouble

I actually do clean mine, and I've been having pretty good luck with it too. But I don't wait until it's gunky dirty either. I wait till I have about 3 or 4 I want to clean ...

I blow em' out, rinse thm thru with hot water in the sink, plop em in a glass pyrex measuring cup about 3/4 full with hot water, stick it in the microwave for 3 minutes, take it out stir em around with a fork, dump off the water , fill 3/4 full again with hot water and nuke another 3 minutes. (Forgot to mention have the oven heating at 275 deg. while i'm nuking) THen I stir again, dump out the water, put a little cool water in the cup and swish around to cool em off real fast then I rinse them under the tap again with warm water and blow em out again. I made this little cookie sheet out of aluminum foil, I lay em out on that and put in the oven anywhere from 30 minuts to 2 hours , Only takes about 30 minutes but i've forgotten and left them up to 2 hours and they still worked like a champ. This sounds like much more of a process then it actually is and I dont know why it's fine in the microwave maybe because most of the carto is covered in a sticker, or maybe because they are covered in water I don't know but my microwave is just fine with it and it's much less of a pain to clean a couple at a time this way then saving them all up and boiling on the stove. BTW this only with the boge soft tip cartos with the metal sticker coverd body.

WHAT? You nuke them? THEY don't go BOOM? Wow your one crazy egoluvr!

Edited by Beans

Yup done it several times. mostly because of flavor changes. but now I got cartos coming out my ears so i don't bother, I have all my juice, and cartos color coded now I bought little smiley stickers in all different colors, pop one on the bottle and one on the carto just above the threads and i'm good to go, the carto lasts till the bottle is gone then I just pitch it (into a jug to be nuked) LOL

Yup done it several times. mostly because of flavor changes. but now I got cartos coming out my ears so i don't bother, I have all my juice, and cartos color coded now I bought little smiley stickers in all different colors, pop one on the bottle and one on the carto just above the threads and i'm good to go, the carto lasts till the bottle is gone then I just pitch it (into a jug to be nuked) LOL

You are a genius! :thumbsup:

That's what I do too. Except I use some cool luminary paints and color code my cartos for the appropriate flavors. I hate mixing flavors, and my cartos look so pretty!

Oh, I see what you are saying... and no, they won't last an entire day by any means. The way I treat it is basically like a carto that I 'direct drip' into. I will have a 'vape session' until I have got my fix, set it down till I'm ready again, then just pop off the drip tip and add about 10 drops or so until it's full again. In other words... I just 'top off' before each session and that way I know it will taste fresh every time. Really quite simple... and I get a hell of a lot more 'hits' off of a carto than I do when direct dripping on an atty. Not to mention, I actually PREFER the flavor and vapor production that I get out of my cartos, even more than the atty. Also, it's nice to know that I will NEVER have to worry about getting that 'burnt/harsh' hit that you get when your atty is low/out of juice, and I know you know what I'm talkin' about. LOL. I CAN'T STAND THAT! :thumbsup:

And here I thought I was the only one who had to top off cartos like that. LOL But how long can you use one carto (not talking about filling it, but the life of the carto itself)? They stop working after a day or two for me.

Nana don't know what kind of juice your using but the cartos don't like em to thick, and too runny not so good either, somewhere in between works best. I like sweetvapes 70/30 . Also, try to avoid overfilling as much as possible, or underfilling keep it slushy but don't let it pool. I also find if I get lazy and start re filling with different flavors and such it gunks up faster, Now i load a fresh carto with every flavor and when I want to switch it up just change the carto, i'm getting upwards a week now on my boge 2.0's. Keep the center hole clean, about every other time I top off I like to take the carto off, check to see if there's any juice on the battery, wipe clean if there is and give a gentle blow out the treaded end to get rid of any excess this will also help you know if your overfilling as liquid will bleed through to the battery end. It really is trial and error but once you get it right it's really worth it. this isn't all my advice but some collective advice I received when having trouble and it really helped, I hope it helps you too. :)

And here I thought I was the only one who had to top off cartos like that. LOL But how long can you use one carto (not talking about filling it, but the life of the carto itself)? They stop working after a day or two for me.

PG is the KEY! I have a feeling it doesn't gunk up nearly as bad as if it had VG in it. Not only that, but they perform much better with the thinner PG liquid, and end up lasting me quite some time. I have tried the different ratios of PG/VG and I much prefer the 100% PG... mainly so I can vape like a maniac and not have to take little breaks for it to soak in again. And secondly, I can't stand the taste of VG and how it affects the actual flavor itself. You can really tell the difference going from ALL PG to a juice with VG mixed in... FAIL! I actually toss em after about a week anyway... there's just nothing that tastes better than a brand new carto in my opinion! And remember to let them sit overnight if you can... they will work much better. Then, just like you do, I keep it topped off during the day! I don't even let it get to the point that the juice has lost alot of it's flavor! One of the most important things to do with cartos is to keep them very moist!!! I actually PREFER the taste/performance of cartos over attys... once you learn all the little tips/tricks with them you can't NOT be pleased with one.

Edited by DAYVAPE

oh good, someone else that does clean their's. I cleaned several of mine, including plastic ones (forgot that plastics warps when cooling). Managed to kill a couple of auto batts afterwards, so I went to the clearomizers. Yippee Skippy! they're a small map tank! So now when I need to reorder cartos, I'll be getting clearomizers/fluxomizers. Even tho I have flooded my table with juice more than a couple of times, cuz they're not glued at the bottom. Today, I took a bran spankin new clearomizer and before doing anything else, got out my glue and fixed that. Been vaping on it all day on my EGO PT. Couldn't be happier,(they could make them a bit easier to refill, my palm hurts from the syringe) unless I magically get a Map tank.