New To Vaping, About To Make First Big Purchase!

pipedreamer79

Hello all, I just signed up here after having lurked for a few days, reading threads and whatnot.

The other night, I decided to pick up that $20 cheap e-cig from 7-11 (forget the name)... Now, 2 days later, it's not even working anymore. I'm not sure exactly what is wrong, and troubleshooting it wasn't the purpose of me starting this thread (if anyone can figure out what's wrong with it, be my guest -- now the LED light at the end, that resembles the lit analog, only burns at one brightness, and then goes out after a couple of seconds, even if you're still drawing). However, it worked long enough to show me that I know I could feel comfortable quitting smoking with an e-cig.

Anyways -- after reading through things, I think I'm going to go with a Joye eGo. Now, the question is, what accessories/spares would you recommend right off the bat? I already know I want the mega battery, and the USB passthrough. The starter kit I'm getting has 2 attys, 2 batteries, 2 atty cones, 2 push button covers, 1 wall/usb charger, and 5 black tip prefilled cartridges -- aside from a couple spare attys and juice, what else would you recommend initially?

How does refilling the cartridges work? Do I need any special equipment to do that, or is it just as simple as refilling it with juice? Do I need to get one of these stainless steel syringes I saw over on vaporrenu.com?

I am trying to be reasonably cost-conscious initially, but at the same time, I don't want to skimp and end up not getting some stuff that I really wish I'd gotten on the initial purchase. My biggest fear about all of this is something breaking and then I end up stuck with no way to vape and having to turn back to analogs.

Also, when browsing spare parts, I noticed "Type A Mega-Atomizer" and "Type B Mega-Atomizer"... What's the difference between Type A & B?

In regards to juice -- I've been a smoker for about 13 yrs, and am most recently a Marlboro Smooth smoker (I friggin love that flavor of menthol), usually about a 2/3rd pack smoker per day. About how much juice should I expect to go through, and what strength juice would you recommend? Also, if any of you are menthol fans, any specific recommendations on a nice robust minty juice would be appreciated.

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Vapor Talk! It sounds like you're on the right track. I always recommend that you have at least 3 batteries on hand. That way, if one dies you still have one to use while one is charging. If you only have two and one dies, you have nothing to use while the one is charging. Not good. Having 5 attys on hand is a good idea. Although they are supposed to last about a month, you will sometimes get one that only lasts a few days. If you only have two attys and one dies, then the other only lasts a couple of days, you might be caught with none until your next order comes in. Not good. Juice. That's a hard one to call. You might only go through 1ml per day. But...if you only buy a 10ml bottle and find you're going through 2 or 3ml a day, it won't last long enough to get more delivered. Until you know what you'll like, it's hard to say go ahead and buy 30ml. You'd hate to be stuck with that much juice in a flavor you can't stand. The best thing to do would be to get some samples. Try several different flavors. I would recommend having about 30ml to start with, but in small bottles. Once you know what you like, then I'd say start stocking up.

As far as filling goes, you just drip the juice onto the filler and you're good to go. You don't need any special tools. You might want to consider getting a couple of drip tips. They have a hole in the top and you just drip directly onto the atty through the hole. Much easier than the filling the cart thing.

I don't know anything about the mega stuff. Someone who does know will be along shortly to answer that one for you.

Good luck and happy vaping!!

I have only been vaping for a few weeks, but this forum has saved me as far as knowing what to do and what to buy! You've come to the right place.

I am by far not an expert on vaping but I've studied more of this than I have for my college classes this whole semester. :/ It's so much more fun!

I started with the Joye eGo. Things that I wish I would have bought right away were cartomizers. They are great! I learned within the first couple of days that refilling cartridges stinks. Getting them to wick properly is a nightmare. You can find plenty of mods to help on these forums. I tried the teabag mod, but it definitely did not make a difference for me. I gave up and direct dripped on the atomizer with the cartridge on. You don't need a syringe to fill a cartridge, but most say you do for a cartomizer. It depends which kind you get. The soft tips you don't need one for. I bought a syringe but only use it for for poking and pulling things on my cartomizers and ego t cartridges.

I don't see the need for a pass through for me yet, the regular joye ego batteries last me easily two days and I vape fairly often.

As for as the difference Type A is a cone and Type B is a cylinder. The cylinder holds a little more liquid.

I also smoked Marlboro Smooths and Marlboro Menthols. I thought I would only like menthol juice so I got Menthol 24mg VG from liberty flights. Other flavors seemed weird to me.. because that was nothing like a cigarette. But, I got tired of it quickly and only use sweeter flavors now like cappuccino and chocolate. I just place a large order with Ms T's bakery. All of her juices look amazing and I've heard nothing but good things about her liquids! The only time I use menthol now is when I get a strong urge for an analog, and that happens every few days.

Welcome to the forum!! Hope I could help :):thumbsup:

Mary

marrymarry is right, you will get tired of tobacco flavors soon enough and long for other things... anything and everything, a whole new world of flavors is open to you! i also smoked marlb smooth so i did get some johnson creek wisconsin frost or something like that, anyhow it was nice, i enjoyed it, but i am now off onto other flavors myself, like pumkichino from vapro renu... but yeah theres a whole range of tastes so its a good idea to read some of the reviews here and get some ideas

Everyone above has given you great advice. Let me add my experience with the MEGA items. The mega attys and megga cartos are mega expensive and a huge waste. I droped a ton of cash on them. Some work, some don't, and now they live in my junk drawer. IMHO they aren't worth the cash. The Boge cartomizers work great, are inexpensive and super easy to fill. They are said to be disposable, but you can clean and reuse if that's the way you decide to go.

Welcome to VT! I'm so happy your here. Good Luck.

Welcome to Vapor Talk PipeDreamer! Great choice going with the Ego. I would recommended stocking up on spare atty's and get at least one spare battery. I don't mess with the carto's, I prefer to direct drip but many of my fellow vapers on the forum have good things to say about the Boge Cartos if you're interested in that. I was also a Marlboro Menthol smoker and I have tried quite a few different menthol flavors from different suppliers. The best I've found is the Mentha from right here at the Vapor Talk Store. Great clean menthol taste. Best of luck!

Welcome to the forums. I'm not a huge fan of cartomizers, but they have their place. Usually I drip, but for driving and such I prefer to fill my carts with the aftermarket blue foam. That stuff holds a lot of juice and wicks better than the white junk that's preloaded. Once I get to the office, I start dripping away.

You made a good choice with the eGo. Don't worry about getting everything up front. You can find upgrade parts all over. Just make sure you have at least 1 extra of everything. Some sites sell atomizers in bulk so you can stock up pretty efficiently.

A good juice to start with (since you're a smoker) is RY4. It's a tobacco flavor, but it's got a sweet finish to it. It's not candy sweet. Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the community!

UPDATE: My eGo came in the mail today! :thumbsup:

It's all charged up and working beautifully. Definitely a huge difference between this and that xhale02 e-cig I picked up from 7-11...

I've smoked my last analog, and tomorrow begins my first full smoke-free day! I'm stoked... Now, I just have to make sure I don't sit here and do nothing but vape tonight, since I got the better battery upgrade and the passthrough!

Yeah, I can totally see where accumulating "toys" can be fun.

So far, the cartridge is my least favorite way to vape. The cartomizer is pretty awesome too, but direct dripping has the best flavor and vapor. I have another shipment headed my way, with a few spare attys, a couple of LR attys, another mega battery (having 2 mega batteries, a regular battery, and a passthrough should pretty much get me through any situation), and a drip tip. I can see myself wanting to go the tank route before long.

I'm ready to get my other flavors from VR... I really like the menthol I have now -- it tastes like a breath mint!

I'm kinda surprised at how much it's making me cough, though. Not that I mind (I smoke other things that tend to make ya cough a bit ;) ) but it's definitely different.