Cannot Seem To Find Any Evidence Of Health Danger

I am usually very good at researching things on the web.

I have looked up things such as injuries from massage or chiropractic care, side effects from antidepressants, adverse reactions to vaccines, rates of malpractice etc.

All with interesting success.

and yet, I search and search and cannot find one single case of injury or hospitalization from the e cigs.

I keep running across the same crap about the FDA warnings and the WHO etc yet no actual evidence of any harm so far.

Am I missing something or is there absolutely no evidence of injury or hospitalizations so far from the e cigs?

And if that is the case then is the FDA blowing a nice smoke screen in our faces?

I have read and re read this forum looking for anything in the health and safety that might actually suggest a potential problem with the use of these devices.

I cannot help but wonder, as my cough has changed from a disgusting gooey hack to a soft dry cough in only two weeks, is it possible that vapeing might actually dry up and clear up secretions much like a nebulizer?

and yes, I am putting far too much effort into this search, because I really want answers, but there are no answers to be found, other than an 80 success rate at quitting analogs with these devices without the side effects of many of the NRTs.

Actually, I am a nurse, and I haven't found any either BUT I have to say that these things are still so relatively new that there really hasn't been enough time for any quality studies. I know that there was a post earlier about a Boston-area doctor wanting to conduct a study - it was posted here on the forum.

And, like any NRT, there are dangers of overdosing on nicotine. The warnings on a patch or gum will tell you that much.

I really wonder if the whole FDA thing doesn't boil down to a desire for uniformity and monitoring. Let's be honest here, kids (at the risk of becoming suddenly and wildly unpopular). Any ding dong and/or their brother could put up a slick web site and offer to sell e-juice with God knows what in the ingredients. In its infancy, the vaping community is still relatively small and well connected here on the web, so we have been lucky to have suppliers that we can review and trust. As the word spreads, and more people are interested, the nasties come out of the woodwork.

The problem is that regulation would place an enormous burden on the little guy supplier to be able to comply with all the i-dotting and t-crossing, and suplly would be taken over by big companies. Which means, we wouldn't be able to get the amazing service and quality we have all come to expect from the vendors we love and trust and respect.

What's the solution? I don't know. Be vocal, be active. Collect and DOCUMENT evidence, experience and information. SUPPORT your favorite vendors so that they can GET big enough to hopefully weather any changes that come our way.

And, by the way, what do I know, really? If I had a crystal ball... :rolleyes:

I cant help but laugh, you being a nurse, I have been a nursing assistant since 1993 and I can say with all honesty that I have been outside in the cold smoking with many a nurse and even respiratory therapists.

the health care field is full of smokers, those of us who are all well aware of the dangers of smoking, and we all do cringe when we are trying to help someone with COPD or other lung conditions as we encourage them to quit smoking, and then we head back outside for our nicotine fix.

right now im a stealth vaper, i let the people who think i quit think that while my family and friends know that i have my little toy. Even my non smoking sister allows me to vape in her car and she is very against cigarettes (our grandmother died of lung cancer.)

My family is just glad that I dont smell like an ashtray and they dont mind the device or the vapor, my mother is a severe asthmatic, just smelling the smoke on my clothing would make her ill.

No, we dont know the long term effects yet, but enough time has passed that there was bound to be something the media and FDA could grab a hold of and say "see, we told you they were dangerous"... my only hope is that when the first big media "told you so" comes that it will not involve a child accidentally consuming e liquid or something of that nature.

I agree, there just hasn't been enough time, it is just too new to know long term effects, good or bad. As with ANYTHING containing any chemical there is potential for overdose and other problems. There have been cases of toddlers and pets overdosing on nicotine by getting a hold of a pack of cigarettes and chewing on/eating them. I don't know if there have been actual deaths, but I know of a 2 y/o doing this.....she was sick to her stomach basically and once it was out of her system she was fine. But let's face it, a small child could get just about anything and get sick from it, that is why parents are supposed to be responsible and have any type of chemicals locked up and kept away from little curious minds/eyes/hands. Kids have shocked/electrocuted themselves in electric outlets and died too....but no one is suggesting banning electricity....you use outlet covers and more importantly you supervise small children. Kids have fallen out of windows too, no one is going to suggest boarding up all windows. I just HATE hearing the arguments about little kids getting the liquid etc as a reason for banning.....PARENTS are responsible for keeping their kids safe, PERIOD.

If a kid gets into e liquid and gets sick and that is made into a spectacle, then I hope someone has the sense to then report how many kids have gotten into the hundreds, if not thousands of other items in the average household, and gotten sick.....so are we going to ban EVERYTHING with ANY chemical that is not meant to be consumed? THAT is the illogic in that argument. Kids get into chemicals one of two ways.....the chemicals are either NOT kept in a safe manner, put up where a child can't get to them, or in a locked cabinet, etc....and/or the child is NOT properly supervised. Look at all the kids who have gotten into meds, cleaning products, hell drank mouthwash, run with a pair of scissors and countless other things and gotten sick, injured or even died......and NONE of those things have been banned, nor should they be. E liquid, like EVERY other item that could potentially make a child sick should be kept out of their reach...and THAT is the responsibility of parents and caregivers.

actually, in my searching on the web i have found cases of kids being hospitalized from nicotine gum, in one case the kids they were trying to get a buzz, this is not so uncommon as i have heard of kids using nodoze and other products for that very reason... kids are stupid, of course there is concern that a kid might use an e cig, or drink the liquid etc, but the same as with any other nicotine products