What's Up With My 18650 Batteries - 6 Charges & Dead?

mpa28

My favorite mod these days is the ReoGrande I started using about 1 week ago. Bought UltraFire 18650 2600 mAh batteries from Battery Junction and UltraFire Rapid Charger from AvidVaper. Both of them have been charged abot 5 times each. Yesterday, put both batteries on charger, only 1 red light. Only that battery charged. Tonight no red lights and I'm speculating no charging is going on.

Did I get bad batteries, using wrong charger, doing something else wrong? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hard to say, but to me it sounds like the charger is bad. I have 6 of those same batteries and never had any problems with them. I looked at avidvapor - did you get the WF-188 charger? Make sure the batteries are making a good connection at the contact points. Also, is it set on 3.7V?

I would tend to agree....seems like an issue with the charger. But if the charger was working perfectly fine, and then suddenly wasn't, maybe something got touched or is out of proper adjustment. I have had issues with my li ion camera battery charger too.....when I first got it, the way the contacts are, the battery fit in pretty tight. Then after a few uses the battery wasn't as tight. I was using it in a wall outlet no problem, now i have to use it on a power strip on the floor...it doesn't make proper contact when in a vertical position on the wall, but works fine horizontally on the floor. Some of this kind of stuff is really touchy. I wouldn't think batteries would "go bad" in such a short time, but the charger is another story. But I would try it in different positions and fiddle with it a bit before concluding that it is bad.

Hard to say, but to me it sounds like the charger is bad. I have 6 of those same batteries and never had any problems with them. I looked at avidvapor - did you get the WF-188 charger? Make sure the batteries are making a good connection at the contact points. Also, is it set on 3.7V?

To reply to both your suggestions, it is the WF1-188 and I had it set at 3.7V. It's sitting on the kitchen counter so no vertical challenges. I throw the drained battery in the bottom of a pocket in my purse but as far as I've read the only thing that drains a battery is coming into positive contact with another battery. I've jiggled, and pushed and nudged and rolled the batteries as they sit in the charger to try to insure a good connection but to no avail. I imagine the only way to know is to try the batteries in another charger...but I don't have two :). I appreciate all your help and will probably order another charger (from battery junction this time - $8 less!). If they charge in that, I'll know to return as defective.!

You know something I to have a Reo Grand for about three week's and I love it. But I had the same problem with both of my 18650 3000mAh batteries. When I got my batteries and charger I also charged them over night, and when I put them in my Reo it wasn't working. I didn't know if it was the batteries or the charger so I had to do some testing with both.I went out and bought a multi meter and checked the batt and charger and the batteries where not charging. So I came on the forum and ask for help, and one of the members told me it could be the circuit board on the bottom of the battery. So I took the circuit board off and now they work better then the ones I have with the circuit board. After taking the circuit board out make sure you wipe off the glue on the bottom, I used glue gone. After doing that you would need two dimes to put on the bottom of the connector in the Reo. With out the dimes your battery wont make connection in the Reo. Now after all that said I know I will get plenty of comments saying that it's not a good idea to use a battery with out the circuit board because it can explode in your face. They are right but I been using them like that for three weeks and always touch the battery after awhile to make sure it's not warm or hot. Like I said they are working really good and so far no problems. I am just letting you know what happened to me and what I did. Good Luck !

sometimes my charger only shows one red light when charging two batteries.

when that happens i pull one out.

its not going to happen all the time. also when the charger is not in charge mode unplug it. i figure that the unit being plugged in all day while making current might be the issue.