Passthrough Stand Mod

J0T

I was starting to fall asleep and all of a sudden I came up with something I really wanted.

I want this:

med_gallery_2_9_24563.jpg

With a wall plug usb port built into the base(and if all of it was in black that would be cool too.)

The base is pretty thick, though I'm sure it could be made thicker, and I see no reason why a space couldn't be drilled out for a usb port and cable. Then you could put the stand wherever you like and plug your VP-PT into it and not have to worry about the length of its cable, plus you'd always get 5v. I'm going to look into doing this myself, but it would be awesome if Jeso mass produced a new stand like this. I'd definitely pay extra $ for that.

*edit* The easiest thing to do would be to simply mount a usb extension cable in the base and then use the supplied usb wall adapter on the end of that cable. All that would need to be done is to carve out a spot for the female end to sit in and a groove for the cable (I'm thinking it would point out the front and then run out the back.) You could mount a circular piece of rubber or something on the bottom to hold it in. As far as making it black goes, vinyl dye (available at most auto part stores) goes on acrylic very nicely, especially if it's lightly sanded, the great thing about vinyl dye is that it's a dye, not a paint, so it will seep into the acrylic instead of layering over it like paint, thus the cut outs for the adapter and juice will remain the same size.

Any thoughts?

Edited by J0T

I like this idea too. I quit using my stand because it was so light I kept knocking it over. If it had some weight it'd work a lot better. A more massive base with the additions you suggest would go a long way to solving that issue. I say pursue it! thumbup.gif