Mini Ice Age?

My Link

I thought that this was pretty cool. I personally think that it is a natural occurrence, and don't nessasairly believe so much in global warming by people, as much as a natural balance.

you are too young to really remember, but in the late 70s and all through the 80's THAT was ALL you heard, that "humans are taking us into the next ice age". it was exactly like it is now, but the extreme opposite, lol.

fear sells, but only for so long. we had to change it up a bit to get people scared again.

My Link

I thought that this was pretty cool. I personally think that it is a natural occurrence, and don't nessasairly believe so much in global warming by people, as much as a natural balance.

I don't know.

The issue at hand is we really do throw a lot of stuff up in the air. The warning is that if the consequences are true it will be too late by the time we see the actual issues arise (if not already). The GW scientists shot themselves in the foot recently by people finding out they may have been fudging some of the science, and we all know when you ask for something that will hurt big companies, the big companies find ways to get money to the folks that would make those laws. And to a large extent, doing the "right" thing will be a pain for most people. It does seem like the people who don't believe in it, don't have many facts on their side but that doesn't stop them from trying to tell us there is no issue. Just now in the northeast, two snowstorms and the news is airing the argument against GW because of the snow. The GW folks are pointing out (correctly) that this has nothing to do with temperatures, they are snowstorms, I think the temp, as it usually is for a good blizzard was just at and below freezing. GW folks say it supports the argument because with warmer temps, more water in the air, more precip. Makes sense but as you point out, could just be a cycle.

What I do know, is many people are for or against, but most of us don't actually know, and the people that could do something about it (the world's beloved politicians) are still busy rewarding the banksters who brought the world's economy to its knees. Oh yeah - and flying their jets into the GW summit, then on to another airport to wait as that one couldn't handle all the jets, then back again to pick them up and take them home. And some of these folks got mad at the auto execs for flying into the hearings?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6736517/Copenhagen-climate-summit-1200-limos-140-private-planes-and-caviar-wedges.html?=no

I remember a comment a long time ago about the giant ego of Man. We use the term we are killing the earth and this comment basically pointed out the earth is fine, the ecosystem in place will repair most damage over time and re-balance. What we are killing is the ability for our species to remain alive on this Earth.

Edited by FTJoe

[quote name='FTJoe' date='12 February 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1265973659' post='34663

The issue at hand is we really do throw a lot of stuff up in the air. The warning is that if the consequences are true it will be too late by the time we see the actual issues arise (if not already). The GW scientists shot themselves in the foot recently by people finding out they may have been fudging some of the science, and we all know when you ask for something that will hurt big companies, the big companies find ways to get money to the folks that would make those laws. And to a large extent, doing the "right" thing will be a pain for most people. It does seem like the people who don't believe in it, don't have many facts on their side but that doesn't stop them from trying to tell us there is no issue. Just now in the northeast, two snowstorms and the news is airing the argument against GW because of the snow. The GW folks are pointing out (correctly) that this has nothing to do with temperatures, they are snowstorms, I think the temp, as it usually is for a good blizzard was just at and below freezing. GW folks say it supports the argument because with warmer temps, more water in the air, more precip. Makes sense but as you point out, could just be a cycle.

What I do know, is many people are for or against, but most of us don't actually know, and the people that could do something about it (the world's beloved politicians) are still busy rewarding the banksters who brought the world's economy to its knees. Oh yeah - and flying their jets into the GW summit, then on to another airport to wait as that one couldn't handle all the jets, then back again to pick them up and take them home. And some of these folks got mad at the auto execs for flying into the hearings?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6736517/Copenhagen-climate-summit-1200-limos-140-private-planes-and-caviar-wedges.html?=no

I remember a comment a long time ago about the giant ego of Man. We use the term we are killing the earth and this comment basically pointed out the earth is fine, the ecosystem in place will repair most damage over time and re-balance. What we are killing is the ability for our species to remain alive on this Earth.

Joe, I agree that we are throwing a lot of cruddy stuff in the air, but there is proof out there that the temps are actually rising globally. And for the last several years. I don't have exact stats, but last year was the coldest in about 20 years, and this one is even colder. I read an interesting article just today that said that some of the reading points that the GW people are getting their readings from were placed many years ago. Some of these points are now next to retail areas, industrial plants, and one even next to an incinerating facility, which would obviuosly increase the temp readings. This stuff is just more beaurocratic BS that no one knows what to believe. But personally, I think it's largely lies. JMHO.

Well therein lies the problem, the GW folks are getting in trouble more and more for "flawed/fudged" data. I know I'm not a weather/geologic person but I do know things can appear different for many different reasons, in other words, global warming causing colder conditions, the cold weather maybe is just cyclical and maybe would have been colder without GW? Point is, I don't know, but I do know some folks are saying when we do know it will be too late, if that's true, its scary. What does appear true is both camps are more politically oriented than scientific, so I guess wwe'll find out one way or the other in a couple of dozen years, gulp.

The temperature changes ,ask a dinosaur the world got hot and they prospered then it got cold and now they are powereing our SUV's .Maybe one day I will be powering someone's SUV ,now that is something to aspire to.