Pass Through Question

Kimber45acp

Hi all, first post. I've been vaping about a week now and this forum has been so much help. My question is about pass troughs. I am in the middle of modding a cell phone charger into a 5V pass through. Has anyone tried this before? I havent finished it yet but it seems to work. Any one know of any problems with this setup? Thanks !

gallery_1674_31_35168.jpg is this what you are talking about?I have another made from a pear shaped one with the atty connector and button on the end where the cable used to come out. Edited by mcquinn

mcquinn that's a cool Idea, and part of my inspiration. But I wasn't specific enough in my post. what I'm talking about is using a cell phone charger that plugs into a house outlet. My thinking is that a cell phone home charger puts out 5V like a USB port. It has worked in mock-up and I have chosen a mini flashlight enclosure. I'll be attempting the soldering soon. Just wondering Is my theory flawed?, if its been done and what are peoples experience's ?

mcquinn that's a cool Idea, and part of my inspiration. But I wasn't specific enough in my post. what I'm talking about is using a cell phone charger that plugs into a house outlet. My thinking is that a cell phone home charger puts out 5V like a USB port. It has worked in mock-up and I have chosen a mini flashlight enclosure. I'll be attempting the soldering soon. Just wondering Is my theory flawed?, if its been done and what are peoples experience's ?

Well kimber I can't really answer your question and don't want to get too far off topic, but I absolutely dig your username! thumbsup.gif That's my caliber too, though I'm too cheap to have a nice one.

As to your question, I don't know for sure but I believe this should work. If you're certain the output is 5V at around 2000 mah, you'll be okay. The charger for my phone is just a USB cable that plugs into an adapter in the wall, and the cable doubles as a data connection to my computer. My phone's charging right now so I can't pull the adapter out of the wall to see if it has any specs on it and I've never looked. But I did think about plugging my PT into it to see if it'd power it. Just haven't tried it yet.

I am afraid the cell phone charger is only going to be rated at 400 mAh ,not enough for a 5 volt passthrough.It would however work with one of the Joye models with the battery as all you are doing is charging the battery.

Well kimber I can't really answer your question and don't want to get too far off topic, but I absolutely dig your username! thumbsup.gif That's my caliber too, though I'm too cheap to have a nice one.

As to your question, I don't know for sure but I believe this should work. If you're certain the output is 5V at around 2000 mah, you'll be okay. The charger for my phone is just a USB cable that plugs into an adapter in the wall, and the cable doubles as a data connection to my computer. My phone's charging right now so I can't pull the adapter out of the wall to see if it has any specs on it and I've never looked. But I did think about plugging my PT into it to see if it'd power it. Just haven't tried it yet.

I looked at the wall adapter for my phone, and it's rated at 5V, 850 mah. Just for grins I plugged my VP PT into it and -- no joy. Nowhere near enough oomph.