Ploom

Not sure if any of you have heard of Ploom, but there was mention of it here on this forum awhile back. I had no idea what it was, but I signed up for their waiting list. They shot me an email today saying their website is now live and that the list for the Ploom model One limited release is closed. They didn't say if I made it on the list or not, so I don't know if I am.

I checked out the site and it looks like an electronic cigarette, but built differently. There's no mention of an atomizer anywhere on the site. From what I understand, it's powered by butane and "It converts the butane fuel to heat using a proprietary catalyst system." And that's how it vaporizes the liquid that are in "Pods" as opposed to cartridges. Price for the unit is $40. I don't know, kinda interesting but I haven't heard anyone talk about it really.

The site says they have tastings throughout the year in different locations. Particularly in the San Francisco area. Has anyone heard, seen or tried these things at any of their tastings?

Here's the link: http://www.ploom.com

Ploom Pods are single-serving tobacco and non-tobacco capsules used in the Ploom model One. They are filled with the highest quality ingredients including whole leaf tobacco, premium tea, botanicals, and all-natural gourmet flavors. Ploom Pods are made from anodized, food-grade aluminum and are sealed with a food safe film just like the ones used for oven-safe foods.

In order to vaporize our flavor blends, we add glycerin and propylene glycol because they form a pleasing vapor when gently heated, consistent with the temperatures at which the flavor of tobacco and other botanicals is released. These ingredients are sourced domestically from trusted suppliers.

Once the Pod is spent, it is 100% recyclable.

whole-leaf tobacco?

food-grade aluminum?

butane fumes?

carbon dioxide and possibly carbon monoxide?

I'll stick with the true vaporizers.

Looks like a hybrid lighter,Cool idea and I could see the benefits of a model like this.I did not see how long a pod lasted as compared to cigs.The availability of butane everywhere solves the battery issues i see as the biggest problem with E-Cigs..We are witneses to the evolution of the smoking habit into a much safer habit.I think its cool as hell......The only thing I dont like is the look of it,but I am sure that will change over time..

I refuse to purchase a product where I am locked in to buying a consumable from the maker. It puts you at their mercy just as if you were paying BT for overpriced tobacco products. That is one of the main reasons I don't like the "cartomizer" style e-cigs. It is a push to get you to require the vendor for all future purchases. These "pods" are a good example of that.

I will always be more included to throw my support to a vendor that offers a variety of choices, information about each, and lets the customer decide.

Also, with a flame, doesnt that make them a combustable unit. Wouldnt be able to use them anywhere like a vape.

I don't know if it actually makes a flame, it just says something about heating. From what I understand, the pod is kinda like a pot and then heat is applied underneath causing the liquid to heat up and vaporize. Not sure though, there's no real break down of how this thing works.

Looks like a hybrid lighter,Cool idea and I could see the benefits of a model like this.I did not see how long a pod lasted as compared to cigs.The availability of butane everywhere solves the battery issues i see as the biggest problem with E-Cigs..We are witneses to the evolution of the smoking habit into a much safer habit.I think its cool as hell......The only thing I dont like is the look of it,but I am sure that will change over time..

That's a good point. Would be nice to have easy access to refueling the device. But kansasvaper and sinikal brought up a good point about inhaling butane fuel. Not sure how true that would be though. I'd imagine the butane would get burned up and you wouldn't inhale any. *shrugs* Really wish they had more information.

I refuse to purchase a product where I am locked in to buying a consumable from the maker. It puts you at their mercy just as if you were paying BT for overpriced tobacco products. That is one of the main reasons I don't like the "cartomizer" style e-cigs. It is a push to get you to require the vendor for all future purchases. These "pods" are a good example of that.

I will always be more included to throw my support to a vendor that offers a variety of choices, information about each, and lets the customer decide.

I didn't think about that, but it's true. I guess maybe over time it's possible that other vendors would make pods. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. This thing is so new that you have to be on a waiting list to get it. What's up with that? I'm a sucker for new gadgets and would probably get one just for kicks.

That's a slick looking device but I say no thanks to butane. I'll stick with my electrics for now. I would have to know that the gas was totally seperate from the vaping unit.

Edited by jmhester

I do believe the waiting list did not take off as suspected. I have been on the waiting list since August and have not gotten any info or updates.

This has all been discussed when Chris first discovered it -- check out http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/topic/1122-ploom/

Guess I must have missed that thread. I only remember a thread when Sean mentioned it in one post, but no one knew anything about it yet. Their website was just one page where you sign up for the list. I signed up and this is the first time they've emailed me letting me know the website is live.

I have got to get one of these laptops repaired or get a new one to use on the road, I missed so much while I was gone, so I'll just have to rehash what everyone else said...

#1 The Pods are proprietary and you can't Drip, Vape, Repeat at a cost that you decide on, they will have you over a barrel as to the cost of refills

#2 It contains tobacco, how does the smoking ban not cover this?

#3 It contains a combustible fluid that is on fire, how does the smoking ban not cover this?

#4 It is heating aluminum which will vaporize and is linked to being a cause of Alzheimer's

#5 How can a flame not emit carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, isn't this what the Californian Eco-Freaks at Berkley are trying to stop everyone from doing?

As for me and my house, The VP2 will serve this Lord!