Lithium Ion Discharged Voltage?

Emile

Hi Guys,

When I am home, most of the time I am using my Totally Twisted VMU which runs on two 14500 batteries. When I flip the switch on the inside, the voltage indicator reads out the voltage of the batteries. So when I have two freshly-charged batteries in there, the unit reads 8.4 volts (4.2 + 4.2) and as I use the unit, the max voltage slowly drops in 0.1 increments. I have a battery voltage chart which says that 3.5V = 0% battery life. When the max voltage gets to 7.0 (3.5 + 3.5), I take out the batteries and put them on the charger. But since I vape at around 4.8V, I was wondering if I can just keep using the batteries until max voltage reads 6.0V? I don't want to over-drain the batteries, but I thought that 3.7V LiOn batteries are fully discharged at 2.8V, not 3.5V.

Somebody please explain this to me. :-(

Thanks,

Emile

They will just stop when they are fully discharged as they will get.The prtection circut board shuts them down at a preset voltage to keep from damaging them.I would say as long as you have spares at hand vape em until they stop vapin.There are only so many discharge recharge cycles to a lithium ion battery so youi might not get the maximum use of the batteries by charging too often.Though at the price and with how much useage you will get it is probably not a big loss.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Twisted VMU which runs on two 14500 batteries. When I flip the switch on the inside, the voltage indicator reads out the voltage of the batteries. So when I have two freshly-charged batteries in there, the unit reads 8.4 volts (4.2 + 4.2) and as I use the unit, the max voltage slowly drops in 0.1 increments. I have a battery voltage chart which says that 3.5V = 0% battery life. When the max voltage gets to 7.0 (3.5 + 3.5), I take out the batteries and put them on the charger. But since I vape at around 4.8V, I was wondering if I can just keep using the batteries until max voltage reads 6.0V? I don't want to over-drain the batteries, but I thought that 3.7V LiOn batteries are fully discharged at 2.8V, not 3.5V.

A little late here, but you should check each individual cell. When using them in series one cell will drain more. I can take my mod to ~ 6.4V total. But one cell is often at 3.4 and the other is at 3V. It's a good idea to mark your cells and rotate the position each time, so that the cells age equally.

FWIW it is best to stay above 3V at all times. But 14500s are cheap to replace.