Diy-How To Basics

kitsune

Water soluable flavors mix better with the PG and VG bases. oil based flavorings can kill the heating elements. the oils gunk up the coils.

Most of the flavors at these sites are water soluable

http://www.ecigexpress.com/

http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/products/The-Flavor-Apprentice-Professional-Flavors.html

I haven't found a good way to get rid of the perfume flavor with certain flavors....I just end up moving to a new flavor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I have 3 questions for my DIY attempt:

Question 1:

Do any of you know the TYPE of flavorings which you guys use for DIY Eliquid? I'm using flavoring for bakery. Is that ok? The flavor somehow "taste" diluted, no matter the percentage of volume I use. I know most of you refer to flavorings by brand name, Lorann ..etc. But are those branded flavors for bakery too?

Question 2

Most commercial Eliquids have a bit of sweet taste to it. Mine is pretty bland and tasteless. I used some Sorbitol and Stevia as sweeteners but still not enough.

Question 3:

Throat Hit (TH). I know most people say it's from nicotine and some say it's from PG. My DIY Eliquid has no TH at all. Some pointers? IN my country, ordering nicotine is totally illegal. I extract nicotine directly from tobacco by boiling etc etc....

Please help. I'm getting really frustrated with my DIY attempt :(. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I have 3 questions for my DIY attempt:

Question 1:

Do any of you know the TYPE of flavorings which you guys use for DIY Eliquid? I'm using flavoring for bakery. Is that ok? The flavor somehow "taste" diluted, no matter the percentage of volume I use. I know most of you refer to flavorings by brand name, Lorann ..etc. But are those branded flavors for bakery too?

Question 2

Most commercial Eliquids have a bit of sweet taste to it. Mine is pretty bland and tasteless. I used some Sorbitol and Stevia as sweeteners but still not enough.

Question 3:

Throat Hit (TH). I know most people say it's from nicotine and some say it's from PG. My DIY Eliquid has no TH at all. Some pointers? IN my country, ordering nicotine is totally illegal. I extract nicotine directly from tobacco by boiling etc etc....

Please help. I'm getting really frustrated with my DIY attempt :(. Thank you in advance.

Question 1. Yes, you can use different types of flavoring but not all are going to give good results. Most of the flavorings I use contain artificial and/or natural flavors, PG and not much else but sometimes contain small amounts of water, alcohol, and so on. There are some ingredients that are un-friendly to attys and cartos but I can't give you a complete list off the top of my head; for instance you shouldn't use any anything that contains sugar or honey. Most of the flavorings I use (Lorann's, FlavourArt, Cappellas, FlavorWest, Perfumers Apprentic, CK products, Tasty Puffs) are fairly strong and sometimes very strong and it depends on the flavor. A very strong flavor might only need 2%-5% in the final mix but most fall into 15%-20% range. If a flavor requires more than 25% to flavor a DIY recipe it probably is diluted to the point where it is no good for vaping.

Question 2. There are flavors that add sweetness without changing the original flavor much or sometimes enhance it. Cotton candy and Marshmallow are 2 examples. Ethol Maltol(EM) is the ingredient in cotton candy and it is what a lot of us use. I've also used suclarose. I know to use these in small amounts because too much will ruin a recipe. VG may add a bit of sweetness along with more vapor, this is why I like to use some in all my juice but I prefer mostly PG.

Question 3. You can get a better TH by using a bit of menthol flavoring. As for extracting your own nicotine, well that sounds like tricky business and I don't think it can be done safely without proper testing equipment and knowledge. I've extracted a tea and tobacco flavoring by heating leaves in PG but I wasn't trying to extract nicotine and I don't think that I got much if any out but I was able to get a diluted flavoring that was usable.

• 3 months later...

As you can tell, I love DIY. For me it started as a search for stronger flavors, as I am flavor challenged. I love the endless possibilities.

If you have any questions or trouble, just ask. There are quite a few of us that love to help out.

wow i just copied this thread to my toolbar. there is alot of information here and im feeling a bit overwhelmed but i think im ready to get started. i ordered a few things from DIY flavorshack and hopefully they shouldnt be too long in coming but one thing i do have a question about that no one i have talked to can seem to answer....

everyone talks about a 50/50 mix or 70/30 or 80/20 of PG/VG. Now if my nic is a PG base then i have to compensate for that correct? likewise if its VG.

can i actually purchase the PG and VG in larger quantities and just add the nicotine? or do you just buy the nicotine in the bases and add them together?

EDIT:

i was looking around on DIY flavorshack and i stumbled across complete DIY kits. now i dont think ill need some of the stuff in the kits but.... it does come with a complete mix set up and you can choose 6 flavors for mixing... would that be a better way to start then buying the stuff individually?

this is what the kit contains:

This is the "PREMIUM" DIY Kit -This Kit Contains 30ml Glass Dropper of 60mg of UnFlavored Mixing E-Liquid In This Kit
You Can Add Your 6 DIY Flavors When You Add To Cart You can Pick PG or VG

Snap Close Tool Chest With Top Compartments (12" L x 6 1/4" W x 3 1/2" H.) - ONE BOX PER ORDER THE PICTURE SHOWS OPEN AND CLOSED

"Nicosorb" Cartridge Filler To Fill Any Model Cartridge
("Nicosorb is 1 bag of Fluval & 1-bag of 100% Poly-Fill (The Right Stuff)
20 ml of PG USP Grade
20 ml of VG USP Grade
20ml of VG/PG mix
4 - 3ml No Nicotine Flavorings of your Choice

An Assortment of sizes 6 Drip Bottles 3ml, 6ml ect....
Glass dropper bottles (round bottle, dropper insert and screw cap)
Glass Assorted sized Vials With Screw Cap
Bottles w/tips may come in Assorted Sizes Currently What Is in stock Will be put in
Mixing Measuring Cups
1-High quality Metal Tweezers
2-Small plastic funnel / 1-Med funnel
3ml Syringe w/27 gauge needle -
3cc Syringe with 18 gauge needle
10ml Syringe without needle
Pair Of Gloves for Mixing
1 Clear plastic flip-top bottle
Spoon Spatulas
1- Long Spatula 3cc Cup for Menthol Crystals
1/4oz. Bag of Menthol Crystals
1-Full Length Apron

NEW ITEMS HAVE BEEN ADDED.
1 ml Syring with cap
EYTHOL MALTO 3.6ml Glass Vial
Blue Plug
10ML Mixing Cylinder

Edited by IMEDICx90

this is what the kit contains:

This is the "PREMIUM" DIY Kit -This Kit Contains 30ml Glass Dropper of 60mg of UnFlavored Mixing E-Liquid In This Kit

You Can Add Your 6 DIY Flavors When You Add To Cart You can Pick PG or VG

Snap Close Tool Chest With Top Compartments (12" L x 6 1/4" W x 3 1/2" H.) - ONE BOX PER ORDER THE PICTURE SHOWS OPEN AND CLOSED (Tackle Box works well too)

"Nicosorb" Cartridge Filler To Fill Any Model Cartridge

("Nicosorb is 1 bag of Fluval & 1-bag of 100% Poly-Fill (The Right Stuff)

20 ml of PG USP Grade

20 ml of VG USP Grade

20ml of VG/PG mix

4 - 3ml No Nicotine Flavorings of your Choice

An Assortment of sizes 6 Drip Bottles 3ml, 6ml ect....

Glass dropper bottles (round bottle, dropper insert and screw cap)

Glass Assorted sized Vials With Screw Cap

Bottles w/tips may come in Assorted Sizes Currently What Is in stock Will be put in

Mixing Measuring Cups

1-High quality Metal Tweezers

2-Small plastic funnel / 1-Med funnel

3ml Syringe w/27 gauge needle -

3cc Syringe with 18 gauge needle

10ml Syringe without needle

Pair Of Gloves for Mixing

1 Clear plastic flip-top bottle

Spoon Spatulas

1- Long Spatula 3cc Cup for Menthol Crystals

1/4oz. Bag of Menthol Crystals

1-Full Length Apron

NEW ITEMS HAVE BEEN ADDED.

1 ml Syring with cap

EYTHOL MALTO 3.6ml Glass Vial

Blue Plug

10ML Mixing Cylinder

I've highlighted the items I use most often when mixing. the 3ml bottles are the most helpful for mixing small amounts. as far as the kit....sounds like a good combination of items, you may find you won't need some of it. but that part is up to you.

Currently I use 100mg/ml nicotine for mixing.....Keep in mind, Its is very toxic at this strength, then again 60mg/ml is nothing to get careless with either.

Most bases, flavorings etcs come in PG. for PG/VG mixes you need to take this into account.

I use the eliquid recipe manager for android on my phone. can help manage PG/VG rations, multiple flavorings etc.

These 2 links are for quart size PG and VG. you can buy it by the gallon(s) for cheaper, but it is way too much and will expire before you can use it. Before investing a ton in DIY, start small and see if you like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Vegetable-Kosher-USP-Quart/dp/B004C7MTLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372754260&sr=8-1&keywords=usp+vegetable+glycerin

http://www.amazon.com/Propylene-Glycol-Food-Grade-Quart/dp/B005PZBRUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372754187&sr=8-1&keywords=usp+pg

Hope that helps a little. give a shout out if you need more info. We have a few DIYers on the forum.

Merry Mixing

awesome! thanks thats exactly what i was looking for. i figure since i have started the trend with E-Cigs here in my family and friends i might as well invest somewhat heavily in mixing my own flavors since they will most likely want to do the same thing. and on some of the sites i was looking to buy just PG or VG and they are like 20ml for 6 dollars. that seemed kinda pricey considering i bought 125ml of nicotine for 15 dollars.

sorry for such a long post on the last one.

I do have one more question. Can I mix my preferred vaping base in bulk? Like instead of mixing a base when I need to make a bottle of it can I make a large quantity and just take from that as I want/need to? Or will it mess with the mixture?

Yes you can !! just be careful how much you keep stored....the flavor does change overtime, but a couple/three months worth should be good. you will also find your taste will change along the way....I am always fussing with my flavors.

The best part about DIY, if the flavor doesn't taste right, you can always fix it !!

menthol flavoring works a bit better, but the creme de menthe helps.....just very small amounts !! ya, I've lots count of all the flavorings. I have my staples, but keep all the rest just in case or to spice up a flavor.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be starting my DIY journey this weekend! Got some tobaccos and trying for a good Vanilla mix.

Flavorshack sent me some latte samples, I'll be using the ejuice calc.

What % should I start out with these latte flavors to try?

If you like coffee type flavors I highly recommend Flavour arts coffee espresso...a little goes a long way. It has become one of my staple flavors....mix with tiramisu, apple pie, cinnamon/carmel (cinnamon roll).

http://www.ecigexpress.com/coffee-espresso-by-flavourart-select-size-620.html

I have tried many coffee flavors, and this one just seems to be the closest. not to mention its a clear flavor...some of the coffees are very dark.

Ok whipped up 4 diff juices and tried cpl lastnight, started feeling light headed and didn't think much of it.

This morning tried again and 4 - 5 drags same thing hazy and light headed. Too much Nic?

Using the ejuicemeup calc and measured twice.

Possible they miss marked the Nic strength? I can't hit the stuff 3 times without the haziness starting. Even tried dbling up the pg / vg in it.

Supposed to be 36mg nic and I set everything up for 12 - 14 nic strength, so?