Getting Tooth Sensitivity

Marleen

I started vaping about 2 months ago and just RECENTLY - in the past 2 weeks I've noticed that I am having problems with my teeth becoming extremely sensitive to everything I eat (especially sweets) and if I drink something cold or hot. I'm not sure if it's from ecigs or not. I have been using the same eliquids as always, about 24 nic and 100% PG. Now, I also did something different - I switched toothpastes. I began using Colgate Total within the last 2 weeks. So...now I'm not sure of the cause of this. Toothpaste or vaping?? I threw out that toothpaste and am using the Sensidyne and I guess if pain goes away I'll know the culprit. So the question I do have for others is has anyone else experienced overly sensitive teeth and gums from vaping? Help please! Thanks

Like Christopher, I've always had overly sensitive teeth too. Thank goodness for Synsodine(sp) toothpaste!

And, yes, there are certain sweet flavors that activate my sensitive teeth to no end... but once I realize it is mostly a trigger from past toothache pains.. it goes away!! It's very shortlived. whew. Hopefully yours will be that way too.

Thanks for all of your replies!! Yea, I have always had sensitive teeth but it's been worse. I'm just hoping the culprit is the toothpaste because I don't want to give up my Ego - it's my best friend!

I don't think my teeth are 'more' sensitive, but the blood flow to my gums has improved. (I've pretty much always had sensitive teeth to hot and cold)

I have periodontal problems that I'm always dealing with, which cause my gums to recede. Since I started vaping, they have puffed back up some, which is great. I do however experience bleeding gums while brushing and such though, I'd say more than before, but that can be a result of the extra blood flow.

I hope it's just your toothpaste causing it.

I now know my answer to this - it was the toothpaste I was using and not the vaping doing it to my teeth, thank God. I didn't want to give up my vape! No more Colgate Total for me. That stuff has some harsh chemicals in it!

So glad to hear it was the toothpaste and not the vape! It's ridiculous how much sugar is used in most pastes... and like you said, chemicals now too. Where's the stoopid fda when ya need em??... oh yeah, I forgot lol.

• 1 month later...

I notice no difference in sensitivity since vaping.. however,since I've started vaping I've been wondering if it still can stain your teeth like nic does from analogs.. or is that from tar that e cigs don't have....sorry don't mean to change the subject.

• 1 month later...

this could be total B.S. but it sounds good to me...

Analogs contained tar that would stain your teeth and cause them (and your taste buds) to become much less sensitive. Now that you've been Vaping, your ditching the Tar. which means your teeth will slowly become whiter, and more sensitive. Increased sensitivity is a good thing. It means your health is improving and your mouth is becoming (no offense whatsover) cleaner overall. I imagine you'll even be taking bigger breaths and tasting food more clearly as well soon!

I hope this helped! :)

Analogs contained tar that would stain your teeth and cause them (and your taste buds) to become much less sensitive. Now that you've been Vaping, your ditching the Tar. which means your teeth will slowly become whiter, and more sensitive. Increased sensitivity is a good thing. It means your health is improving and your mouth is becoming (no offense whatsover) cleaner overall. I imagine you'll even be taking bigger breaths and tasting food more clearly as well soon!

Yes, total BS (sorry)

I also have periodontal problems which include receding gums and bone loss, and my periodontist says it is directly attributable to smoking. The high heat level from a burning cigarette causes the gums to absorb more of the deadly crap from the cigarette, causing poor gum health (the rest all snowballs from there). If anything, vaping should help your gums to heal and therefore feel better. It is also important to distinguish between sensitive teeth, sensitive gums, or both. Sensitive teeth is usually caused by erosion of the enamel, which causes irritants to penetrate to the nerves. That is the kind of sensitivity that sensodyne was developed to deal with.

• 3 months later...

I hated Colgate Total. It always left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not sure if it made my teeth sensitive but I don't think it's one of

their better formulas. I went back to my Crest and was fine. This was before

vaping though.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I should have also said that my teeth are doing fine.

When I was a kid we always used Colgate but when I got out on my

own I started using Crest for some reason. I was also one of the

original "Crest Kids" who were tested in school. Only other thing

I do is use that Act fluoride treatment. Vaping hasn't made my

teeth hurt but that Colgate Total is something else. :thumbsdown:

Cherie

• 1 month later...

That makes total sense, I was getting worried cause I've been vaping for a week now and completely off the analogs (for life) and my teeth have been feeling a little sensitive. So you say increased sensitivity is a good thing, that sounds good and I hope your correct but may I ask how you came to that conclusion?

• 5 years later...

I didn't experience sensitivity in my teeth but my teeth was turning yellow due to vaping and smoking. When my friends and relatives started telling me that my teeth looked worse, then I took the tooth whitening treatment from a clinic in Burlington. My friends are saying that my teeth are getting better. A good cleaning will help to have a perfectly white teeth. 

Edited by Tam
Removed spammy link.

• 1 year later...

I have been vaping for several years - love it. Recently, perhaps within the last four months, my teeth have been hurting. Like changing to Sensodyne hurting. And that change didn't really help at all.

Now my gums are hurting - it's painful to floss. I'm a person who has been proud of my teeth and have taken care of them.  Now I'm worried I might have to have my teeth pulled?  That's how scared I've become - how much pain I'm in.

So this afternoon I began a little test.  Because I've always been suspicious there is a connection between my sudden dental dilemma and vaping, I have put my vaping aside - just to see if the two issues are related.  It's only been three hours, but there is no pain.  Hmmmm. Early days.

If your teeth or mouth are bothering you, I suggest you try not vaping for a day and see if your teeth feel better.  I'll really miss vaping, but if that's what's causing my pain, it will have to go.  

BTW, buying Sensodyne was really hard for me.  Like I am a failure at taking care of my teeth. So when Sensodyne didn't even help, that scared me.  

Edited by Dough

• 2 weeks later...
I have been vaping for several years - love it. Recently, perhaps within the last four months, my teeth have been hurting. Like changing to Sensodyne hurting. And that change didn't really help at all.
Now my gums are hurting - it's painful to floss. I'm a person who has been proud of my teeth and have taken care of them.  Now I'm worried I might have to have my teeth pulled?  That's how scared I've become - how much pain I'm in.
So this afternoon I began a little test.  Because I've always been suspicious there is a connection between my sudden dental dilemma and vaping, I have put my vaping aside - just to see if the two issues are related.  It's only been three hours, but there is no pain.  Hmmmm. Early days.
If your teeth or mouth are bothering you, I suggest you try not vaping for a day and see if your teeth feel better.  I'll really miss vaping, but if that's what's causing my pain, it will have to go.  
BTW, buying Sensodyne was really hard for me.  Like I am a failure at taking care of my teeth. So when Sensodyne didn't even help, that scared me.  

Do not vape e liquids with sugar in it.
The only way is to diy your juice to be sure. Most vape shop juices are loaded with sugar.
Hope it helps..