Possible Dangerous Downside To E-Cigs

squidward

Hi.. Noob here. Regarding downsides to e-cigs, one I'm wondering concern I've thought about about seems valid to me-- prolonged storage of used moist cartomizers can develop mold undetected due to enclosure. Use of such a cartomizer could result in a major lung infection causing serious illness or death.

I'd like to know if there is any data substantiating this concern, but to me, it sounds legit because you're drawing in foreign air particles (which can include airborne bacteria and viruses) that embed themselves in the batting. Unless refrigerated, the contaminated batting under optimal conditions (warm temperature, moist environment) is subject to bacterial growth and mold spores. And we all know the dangers in breathing in mold.

While I've not heard anyone dying from use of e-cigs yet, it's still relatively new and perhaps this might be the reason for the first death? I wonder what tests have been made on e-cigs to ensure this is not an issue? It seems like a legit scenario I would want to test for if I was in charge of quality and safety testing.

Now, one might argue the heat from the atomizer will curb growth, but what if you don't use it for several days or weeks? Will the heat from the vaping action prevent spores from being inhaled? Probably. Probably not.. But until these things are tested, questions are answered, it's probably something to think about...

This is actually quite a good point and one of the reasons the manufactures recommends that you only use your cartomizer for 1-2 days. It's the same reason why I don't suggest people continually wash and reuse their cartomizers. While there is no current research available the bottom line is, cartomizers are designed to be used short term and not long term.

As for storing cartomizers I think most people use them on a day to day basis. But I do agree storing liquid in a cartomizer over a long period of time is not recommended. :)

Hi, while it is interesting to read a concern about mold spores in cartomizer filling, there are mold spores, viruses and bacteria free-floating in the air around us. As an ex-smoker, I always have to weigh the fact that the chemicals and amounts of tar I was ingesting into my throat and lungs was destroying my health. All the 'testing' on analogs has not made people stop using them. Is it prudent to err on the side of caution? Yes, of course. Most everything we do in life has a risk factor. But am I going to become an alarmist over the fact that I use cartomizers on a regular basis, absolutely not!

This is concerning for me because I do leave several semi-filled cartos lying around while I'm vaping other flavors in different cartos for a few days. Do yall think storing them in the fridge would help prevent contamination?

Let me go ahead and ease your mind friend. For any microorganism to grow certain conditions must be met: Temperature and humidity must be high, typically over 85% but ideally over 90%; food must also be present; this food should be in the form of simple sugars. This is one major reason plants store the food for their seeds in the form of starches! And finally, access to water is needed to fuel the fermentation process of breaking down the sugars for food.

Propylene glycol has a magical effect of preventing mold growth. It is used in humidifiers for this very purpose. Along with its emulsifing properties and very low toxicity, PG, even when mixed with water, keeps humidity levels at 70%. It also prevents water uptake by these microorganisms therefore preventing germination of the spore itself. Indeed, PG is a truely magical substance!

Also, if the carto is made of inorganic material as opposed to, say, cotton, that will inhibit mold growth as well.

Hope that makes you feel better!

* Maybe this thread should be moved to the "concerns" forum?

Edited by elDuderino

np. I probably could've went more indepth but didn't feel it neccessary to write a thesis here. Hopefully that eases your mind though.

I read a report of a test they did on some rats. Two groups were used, both in containers; both groups exposed to the H1N1 flu virus. The first group was also exposed to vaporized PG, the second group was not. As it stands the group that had vaporized PG with the H1N1 did not get sick. The group that was not exposed to the PG got the virus and died. As I recall, the test was done to see if vaporized PG has the same effect of preventing microbial growth as pure liquid PG.

I, personally, am doing a controlled experiment with vg and pg used seperately as in an agar growth medium -along with a food source- to test fungal growth. It's in it's first week of testing with no signs of growth, either fungal or baterial. I'll post any test result at the end of the experiment.

Dude.

Edited by elDuderino

np. I probably could've went more indepth but didn't feel it neccessary to write a thesis here. Hopefully that eases your mind though.

I read a report of a test they did on some rats. Two groups were used, both in containers; both groups exposed to the H1N1 flu virus. The first group was also exposed to vaporized PG, the second group was not. As it stands the group that had vaporized PG with the H1N1 did not get sick. The group that was not exposed to the PG got the virus and died. As I recall, the test was done to see if vaporized PG has the same effect of preventing microbial growth as pure liquid PG.

I, personally, am doing a controlled experiment with vg and pg used seperately as in an agar growth medium -along with a food source- to test fungal growth. It's in it's first week of testing with no signs of growth, either fungal or baterial. I'll post any test result at the end of the experiment.

Dude.

Ok, this is just freakin COOL! LOL!! Can you imagine a day when PV's are prescribed to help protect against colds and flu viruses or people susceptible to pneumonia rather than the stupid flu shot! :thumbsup: ROCK!

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is just freakin COOL! LOL!! Can you imagine a day when PV's are prescribed to help protect against colds and flu viruses or people susceptible to pneumonia rather than the stupid flu shot! :thumbsup: ROCK!

That will probably never happen, and I don't want it to happen. In order for it to happen, PVs would have to require a prescription, meaning the powers that be determine whether we're allowed to use them or not. That should NEVER happen. Doctors won't ever tell you to do anything that's cheap. I can't remember the last time a doctor actually told me to eat an orange, drink orange juice, take zinc, or any vitamin/mineral, for that matter. It's always robitussin, nyquil, or some stupid prescription drug. They never promote cheap health aids, and they never promote preventive healthcare anymore. It's really very sad...

Don't get me wrong. It would be very cool for them to suggest vaping to help fight/prevent colds and flus, but NOT if it's done by prescription only, and it's very doubtful that this will ever happen.

Edited by DerStadtschutz

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dude.

Dude.

wish i was vaping when I got H1N1 lol. that stuff aint no joke.

• 1 month later...

I am using E cigarette from last 6 months and i dont feel any bad thing in it as compared to traditional cigarette. Just wanna say that It would be a test for all the antismoking movements If people exchange from smoking to vaping, since you are not burning anything, just vapor

• 3 weeks later...

Just this morning I grabbed a carto that I haven't used for about 1.5-2 months, refilled it with my melon juice, and hit it right there...usually I let them bathe in rubbing alcohol, but this one was just too new and I put it aside because I didn't care for the weak melon flavor, got melon flavor in, mixed up a stronger batch, and off to the races. No noticeable side effects ;) If something comes up I will let you know, but judging from my current good health, and Dudes brilliantly logical explanation, I am not worried.

Compaired to the 4,000 toxins in an anolog inhaling whatever comes from an ecig is hands down better for you compaired to smoking even if there was mold in there.. But as Christpoher said carto's are meant to be discarded after a few to a dozen uses.. Plus I know from my own experience that cartos taste like junk if you leave her over night imo..

• 2 months later...

How about distilled water flushing them regularly and low temp oven drying every few days or so? Call me lucky, but I've never...let me repeat that...NEVER had a carto "die". I pull 120 ml of room temperature DW through each carto with a giant syringe fitted with an ink pen grip, then use the same syringe to pull air through each carto a few times to suck the DW out, and then low temp. oven dry any moisture out. They come out like brand new...every one so far.

Edited by Rixter

Today I boiled some cold tap water (not hot because it sits in a HW tank for a while stewing), used the same method as above, but this time let them air dry in the window sill on the sunny side of the house for a while (it's unseasonably hot today, even for Mississippi). I tried boiling water this time because I ran out of distilled water, and wanted to kill any microbes that may be living in the tap water. Same result...no metallic taste from the tap water flush. Flushed four cartos...all four are now loaded and firing like new. They may be called disposable, but I just can't throw anything away that still works like new. I A/B tested against new blanks, and can't distinguish between the new ones and the flushed ones.

PS - I think that the boiling water method may even be a better way to clean the cooked on e-juice off the coils than using room temperature distilled water. They seem to offer up more flavor and maybe a little warmer vapor temperature than my previous method. (Guess what I'll be doing with the rest of my my bag-o-cartos this afternoon.:-) )

Edited by Rixter