Does Vaping Affect Your Lungs At All?

reacon9

Hi, there have been no long-term scientific studies posted on the effects of vaping and the lungs that I'm aware of. Nicotine obviously enters the bloodstream affecting brain cells. There is a lot of info around on that. Think of a vaporizer in a room. In my unscientific opinion, pretty harmless. People get jittery over some of the additives in e-liquid and there has been some very recent discussion here on some of them, i.e., Diacetyl but, when I think of what was going into my body smoking analogs, I don't get too caught up. There are too many benefits in vaping. This is just me now. :)

Edited by Lily

For me, most certainly can breath better !!! I used to get short of breath just going up a flight of stairs--now, I can make it up the stairs without sounding like I had just run up them.

Inhaling anything into your lungs isn't going to be healthy--but compared to smoking--vaping wins hands down.

Not sure about the lungs but it can't be as bad as smoke. We should also be concerned with the throat and mouth. I've noticed at times I sound a bit raspy as if I had a soar throat even tho I don't. This harshness is either on my vocal chords or from moisture in my breathing tube (trieckia?). Not sure if this is ok or not. Aain I can't imagine it as bad as smoke, but should be looked at just so we know.

Not sure about the lungs but it can't be as bad as smoke. We should also be concerned with the throat and mouth. I've noticed at times I sound a bit raspy as if I had a soar throat even tho I don't. This harshness is either on my vocal chords or from moisture in my breathing tube (trieckia?). Not sure if this is ok or not. Aain I can't imagine it as bad as smoke, but should be looked at just so we know.

I get that often, but I just figured it was from the drying out that everyone says you get from vaping. Also, I would be really interested to know if any of our long time vapers have had a chest x-ray, and what it looked like.

I know I breathe better when vaping vs smoking. I can say that I got my mom into vaping last year just to try to help her cut down on her 4 PAD habit. She took to e-cigs right off the bat and pretty much quit smoking entirely. Now here's the kicker. My mother has some health problems, ranging from a brain tumor to bone spurs in her neck/back. Prior to vaping, the doctors told her that surgery was probably not even going to be considered because her respiratory system was in too bad of shape. Fast forward to about 6 months on e-cigs, and her doctor was floored when he saw her, asked her if she quit smoking, and told her her respiratory system was in excellent shape, almost as if she had never smoked! Of course she told him about the e-cig, showed it to him, and he was excited. She's probably schooled about 10 doctors about e-cigs and every one of them have been excited about them and said they would recommend them to smoking patients.

In my book, thats a huge win for e-cigs!

I know I breathe better when vaping vs smoking. I can say that I got my mom into vaping last year just to try to help her cut down on her 4 PAD habit. She took to e-cigs right off the bat and pretty much quit smoking entirely. Now here's the kicker. My mother has some health problems, ranging from a brain tumor to bone spurs in her neck/back. Prior to vaping, the doctors told her that surgery was probably not even going to be considered because her respiratory system was in too bad of shape. Fast forward to about 6 months on e-cigs, and her doctor was floored when he saw her, asked her if she quit smoking, and told her her respiratory system was in excellent shape, almost as if she had never smoked! Of course she told him about the e-cig, showed it to him, and he was excited. She's probably schooled about 10 doctors about e-cigs and every one of them have been excited about them and said they would recommend them to smoking patients.

Hi, that is quite a story about your Mom. I hope she continues to be well, and kudos to her for informing the medical community!

I know I'm breathing better and no more shortness of breath while doing normal things. More energy too. 2 of the docs I work with are excited about vaping, I know 1 of them has recommended this to several smoking friends so I think that's a strong statement. Overall opinion seems to be whatever it takes to quit analogs except for Chantix. All of our docs hate that stuff, help the lungs hurt the brain doesn't make much sense to me.

• 1 month later...

Awesome!! I wonder if she had a chest x-ray to prove this? I am an x-ray tech and I am curious if your lungs actually DO improve?? If they did a comparison to her prior Chest x-rays, that right there could be proof that e-cigs are better for you then smoking! Maybe the FDA ought to take a look at that?

Only thing that makes me curious is if your more prone to Pneumonia. Only reason I ask is because you inhale vapor. As long as you change your carts and keep everything clean, then at least your not introducing bacteria into your lungs.

They seriously need to get trials going on this. Take smokers and convert them. Do before and after studies with all vitals, Chest x-rays etc. I for one would be one that would LOVE to participate in this! Even if the outcome wouldn't be as great as I expected, still worth it. Love all the money I am saving so far. My unit has almost paid for itself and it's been almost a week. Yes I bought extra stuff, but by the end of the month I still will be saving so much money! Even with ordering extra attys and e-juice.

Edited by Ellynn99