Vaping And Weight Gain

Ok here is the question of the day.

I've been doing the "Low carb" thing for about 2 years now and I was down to my ideal weight. I started vaping back in October of 09 and I have noticed a steady weight gain for the last few months. I leveled out but I am concerned that it may be from the PG in the vapor. Has anyone else reported this? Has anyone noticed this happening to them? I've searched but the information seems scattered and vague at best.

Do you think I may have a better chance with VG? Is VG better....Other than the weight gain I have had no other effects.....

Any info would be appreciated...

I've been doing the "Low carb" thing for about 2 years now and I was down to my ideal weight. I started vaping back in October of 09 and I have noticed a steady weight gain for the last few months. I leveled out but I am concerned that it may be from the PG in the vapor. Has anyone else reported this? Has anyone noticed this happening to them? I've searched but the information seems scattered and vague at best.

Do you think I may have a better chance with VG? Is VG better....Other than the weight gain I have had no other effects.....

Hmm, good question re: PG or VG affecting weight. It seems many have different answers so i am speaking only on my own experience. YES I put on weight, and yes using PG. total about 8-10 pounds in one year of vaping. Although with all the info I have gathered it is more likely due to the fact that you really are NOT getting the same amount of nic, and nic speeds your metabolism (that we know is a fact). I understand that the amount of nic we are getting is much less than analogs, perhaps only about 10% depending on a lot of factors; i.e. how many analogs you did smoke and what nic strength you currently use. Now true whether it is PG or VG may or may not be an issue but I have not read anything about that yet. Good luck to you.

If anything I would assume its an oral fixation being satisfied. Are you really eating the same? I'm fighting weight gain but because my vaping dropped off after I went 0mg. Or maybe the same amount of nicotine is not being absorbed as with cigs (I think many report this is a terrible transport for nic) and your metabolism has been affected? Too bad we can't get real studies. ;-)

Edited by FTJoe

If anything I would assume its an oral fixation being satisfied. Are you really eating the same? I'm fighting weight gain but because my vaping dropped off after I went 0mg. Or maybe the same amount of nicotine is not being absorbed as with cigs (I think many report this is a terrible transport for nic) and your metabolism has been affected? Too bad we can't get real studies. ;-)

I suspect we won't get real studies for quite some time, so we can only base our findings on feedback from pv users. So both you and I have put on weight and I am sure there are others that will chime in. Nicotine has been proven by real studies that it does increase metabolism, and yes I too have heard many times 'nic transport' is not 100% (could even be as low as 10%) by vaping. So that being said we have absolutely changed our metabolism. the oral thing is fine with my pv so no additional food has been consumed to justify my personal weight gain.

Side note: I did just lose (over 6 weeks) 13 pounds being focused on diet and exercise, so I am heading back to previous weight.

Lots of good points made here. I noticed an increase in my appetite when i made the switch from analogs to PVs. It was almost right away.

But there are just so many factors that could have played into this:

• Less nicotine intake?

• Less 'other' chemicals intake?

• PG or VG triggering hunger response?

• Tasty flavors triggering hunger response?

For me personally I think it's a combination of quitting analogs (and thus either less nic or just less of the other chemicals) and also the awesome flavors of the juice. I know for a fact that if I vape that nutty 555 juice when I'm several hours after having a meal, I start getting hungry. Works everytime.

This is pretty interesting stuff!

I have heard of the weight gain issue also. Well analogs have been known to kill taste buds or at least deaden them some. Plus many people smoke as a way of keeping off the pounds. Maybe its a mind over matter thing. But I agree it would be nice to get a "real" study on the matter.

Ive only been vaping VG and for 2 weeks only but Ive lost a couple pounds , I think its from extra oxygen getting to my muscles and them burning more energy because of it , just my thoughts early on in the experience .

I had been the same weight for 20 years when I got my teeth fixed...gained 10 lbs. This put me out of the underweight range for the first time since I was a teenager. LOL

When I started vaping, I gained again. I was 110 - 115, now I go 120 - 125. So another 10 lbs. But it's not a huge gain, and I haven't been CONTINUING to gain, it's leveled out.

So with getting less nicotine on the vape I'd gotten 36mg for those times when I wanted an analog - and vaping 36 made me dizzy AND wanting an analog LOL. So I'm thinking it isn't the nicotine making me want those 3 cigs a day, or at least not ONLY the nicotine.

I enjoy the taste of food more now, but I'm not really eating more. So I think it IS metabolism related. Less nicotine = gain a few pounds.

The other thing to remember is we are all different, too. Our body chemistry is different. Some things are the same, and the weight gain seems to be a common denominator. But unless I suddenly become a blimp I think it's worth it. Not sure how I'd view becoming a blimp. :harhar:

So far I have had no weight gain, in fact I have lost 10 pounds, since switching to vaping. I find that my lung capacity has come back so I get on the tredmill and have started an upper body free weight regiment. Also using PG and down to 11mg - 18 mg nicotine strengths. So I guess my body is reacting differently. (In a good way for once!) In addition I find that all the flavors in E-Liquid tend to "trick" my tastebuds into thinking I just ate something sweet. So I find that I'm not reaching for any additional food. Anywho thats my experiences so far!

Luke

I find my snacking has plummeted, which is great. I do crave salty snacks now and then though. Those are really fattening... don't even offer an energy rush lol. I better watch it... love those Fritos.

Oh, I'm 0nic sweet flavors. 24nic tobacco flavors. Quit in January. No losses, no gains. (so far)

edit to say: I don't know the vg/pg mix ratio. 0nic are from MsTs Bakery and Rathjuice. 24mg are from AwesomeVapor, VaporTalk, and ... gosh, I forgot lol.

Edited by Uma

Hmm well like others have said it's probably the lower amount of nicotine. Nicotine does boost your metabolism. I've actually lost weight.

Could it be that your loss is due to stress?? Otherwise send me a gallon of what you are vapin'.

I've been struggling with my own weight for about ten years now. The Air Force will only let you get so heavy before they kick you out. I know that once I quit smoking for good, I'd have one serious problem on my hands. That was one of my idiotic reasons for sticking with it for so long. I've tried to quit in the past, and during one smoking cessation class a little factoid stuck out in my mind:

When you smoke cigarettes regularly, your metabolism is kept up not just because of the nicotine, but because your body is fighting off all the toxins that cigarettes put into your body. It's like fighting off a cold virus or bacterial infection. When you quit smoking, you are no longer exposed to those toxins, and your metabolism relaxes. Your body adjusts and for many people the result is an increase in weight.

i don't know how true that is, but is sure sounds reasonable.

What's interesting here for me is that there's a good mix of weight gain vs loss. I wonder if that suggests it's not vaping-related, but one of life choices? Personally I've gained about 8 lbs since I started vaping. I'm certainly getting less nic than I was smoking and I've wondered whether that might have something to do with it. I sure haven't increased my exercise quotient! ;) I have however made a conscious effort to reduce the stuff I consume that I know contributes to my weight. Not a lot, but some reduction in 'bad' food. Yet I've put on the pounds. I expect that reduced nic - or as Tektronik suggested, toxicity! -- has led to that. Possibly.

In one quit smoking class I took, I remember they said you could gain 30 lbs quitting smoking and still 'break even' with the health risk. So I guess we're all doing okay in that regard. But if I ever put 30 lbs on top of the 145 I started with, someone shoot me!!! I about died the other day when the dr weighed me at 152. I'm glad summer is here; I'm gonna work outside all summer and try to trim some of that back. It's freaking me out. I'm 6-4, so my favored weight would be about 185-190. Used to be I could eat or drink anything I wanted and stay at 175. That sure went away. Big time.

Sorry yall,but I've lost about 20lbs !

:D Why thank you, that is so inspiring! :D

Seriously though, what have you changed that made this so? Diet, exercise, divine intervention? I don't know that my weight gain is necessarily due to less nic, but I've sure tried to include less of everything and still gained.

Well thanks for all of the responses to this topic...

I have not changed my eating habits at all...I'm not snacking more, or eating more (only tobacco flavor juice for me as well)...I'm still a low carb eater...I am NOT exercising more (which I know I should be) but I went up a certain amount them just leveled off. I'm not really gaining more but I gained enough to notice. From what I've read here and in other places I'm pretty convinced it NOT vaping, but rather the lowered toxicity and lowered Nicotine intake. Seems ironic huh? I'm sure my body will re-adjust and all will start to go the other way. I have to keep in mind, I was a heavy smoker for 20 years (I started young) and I've only been "smoke" free for 6 months....I should just be patient with my body and let it heal.