I Don't Want To Be A Jerk....

I do think it was a bad idea but just because he posted it. In the video the kid said that it should be used only by people who already smoke and not kids. That tells me the guy is teaching him things he needs to know. I think it is important to teach children the reasons why we as adults do things and why they shouldn't. My father has always smoked cigars. The only reason my parents gave me not to smoke was,"Because I said so!!!" I didn't understand that my dad had an addiction that he rather not have and didn't want me to have either. I thought the main reason I shouldn't smoke was just because I was a kid. I thought if it is good for dad then it is good for me. Now today I'm an addict. My main education concerning smoking was mainly just watching him do it. It was the same thing with sex. I was basically told,"Because I said so!!!" By the time I was 15 I was addicted to cigarettes, experimented with drugs, and lost my virginity. My parents did the opposite of this guy and it made me a bad teenager. My parents sheltered me from the world and I had to figure it out on my own. I never got any reasons. I just got rules and in a kid's mind rules are meant to be broken. There are fathers out there that either abandon their children or don't get involved in their lives. I think this guy getting his kid involved displays better parenting skills than what I got. It was a bad idea to make a video though for obvious reasons but I have no problem with him actually trying to raise his son.

+1 Schizo. I admire your consistent willingness to do your own thinking and to stick your neck out. I agree with you about the kids raising part and I wasn't able to watch the entire video to catch that the kid had been instructed not to use it - any why. Good point. This doesn't mean though that some naysayer won't also take it out of context and use it against us, which shows truly bad judgement on the poster's part. But you're my hero for today man. thumbsup.gif

I do think it was a bad idea but just because he posted it. In the video the kid said that it should be used only by people who already smoke and not kids. That tells me the guy is teaching him things he needs to know. I think it is important to teach children the reasons why we as adults do things and why they shouldn't.

I think its a stretch to teach him what its for as opposed to teaching him how to use it, video aside. Do you show a child how to operate a gun, or tell them what it is and how dangerous it is and they shouldn't ever use one? I understand they are quite different, but really. Next thing we'll see is this kid showing us his daddy's prophylactics. ;-)

Edited by FTJoe

Glad to see I'm not alone.I don't have kids,so I would not try to tell anyone how to raise them.When I first saw the video the first thing I worried about was the image of the vaping community,could you imagine the response from the anti-smoking/vaping people if they saw that.

I will admit I don't know if the parents are doing right by the kid,they did tell him that vaping is not for kids however,my folks told me smoking was bad for me and I went on to smoke like them,heck I started by stealing their butts from the ashtrays when they wern't looking at the age of 11 or 12.So from personal experience I can tell you some kids won't listen,we are after all, primates and as you know monkey see monkey do.

I think its a stretch to teach him what its for as opposed to teaching him how to use it, video aside. Do you show a child how to operate a gun, or tell them what it is and how dangerous it is and they shouldn't ever use one? I understand they are quite different, but really. Next thing we'll see is this kid showing us his daddy's prophylactics. ;-)

I think I would wait until a little older before teaching a kid how to use a gun. I would start with BB guns, then pellet guns, 22s, and then all the way up to big boy guns. That is also something my father failed to teach me. I have been intending to find someone to teach me how to use and clean my SKS more properly but I keep procrastinating. Anyway, I think a kid that has been educated with how to use an e-cig is better off than one that doesn't and still gets a hold of one because,"I said so!!!" didn't work. The chances of this guy's kid drinking a bottle of e-juice has probably decreased in comparison to a parent that keeps their kid ignorant of the subject. If I had a kid that decides to smoke against my will then I would want them to do it right. I'm glad you brought up condoms because that is kind of the same thing. I wouldn't want my kid to have sex but if they do it I'll want them to use a condom. If I had a kid that grew up to be a condom using vaper then I would feel very successful at being a parent because that beats a smoking 15 year old with a baby and AIDS. Kids will make mistakes. Behaving stupidly is in their DNA but if we educate them it may help them behave a little smarter. I don't believe in sheltering children from the world. I think we should educate them on everything we can. Anyway, I do believe his video was a bad idea because we live in a society that believes the government is daddy and we believe how people raise their children is our business. If someone isn't beating the crap out of their kid, isn't raping their kid, loves their kid, and is trying to raise their kid the best they know how then in my mind they are a perfect parent. In short, him teaching his kid about his e-cig doesn't disturb me because it is none of my business.

Ok lets get back on track. Damulta's parenting skills are not being called into question at all. I'm sure he's a great parent. The issue was having a video of a child demonstrating the mod. There are those that have, and will continue to say, that e-cigs and e- juice need to be banned because they are marketed towards children. To me this video can be used as ammunition against the vaping community. Eventhough the child says it is not to be used by children, I could see a clip of that video being used on a news segment with the talking head doing a voice over declaring that "We have to protect the children!"

Ok lets get back on track. Damulta's parenting skills are not being called into question at all. I'm sure he's a great parent. The issue was having a video of a child demonstrating the mod. There are those that have, and will continue to say, that e-cigs and e- juice need to be banned because they are marketed towards children. To me this video can be used as ammunition against the vaping community. Eventhough the child says it is not to be used by children, I could see a clip of that video being used on a news segment with the talking head doing a voice over declaring that "We have to protect the children!"

I agree. That is why I said,"It was a bad idea to make a video though for obvious reasons." Also, the government is daddy people are the ones who say,"We have to protect the children!"

Edited by Schizophretard

I totally agree damulta is a great guy and im sure a awesome dad. I for one am glad he is teaching his kids what the real meaning of a e-cig is. I also do think posting a vid of his son playing with one wasn't the best idea. We are all doing our best for what we feel is right.

To be completely honest the video of a child playing with it did not bother me, other then the fact i didn't want it to be taken out of context.

It's not a perfect world all we can do is try. Practice makes perfect!

I think I would wait until a little older before teaching a kid how to use a gun. I would start with BB guns, then pellet guns, 22s, and then all the way up to big boy guns. That is also something my father failed to teach me. I have been intending to find someone to teach me how to use and clean my SKS more properly but I keep procrastinating. Anyway, I think a kid that has been educated with how to use an e-cig is better off than one that doesn't and still gets a hold of one because,"I said so!!!" didn't work. The chances of this guy's kid drinking a bottle of e-juice has probably decreased in comparison to a parent that keeps their kid ignorant of the subject. If I had a kid that decides to smoke against my will then I would want them to do it right. I'm glad you brought up condoms because that is kind of the same thing. I wouldn't want my kid to have sex but if they do it I'll want them to use a condom. If I had a kid that grew up to be a condom using vaper then I would feel very successful at being a parent because that beats a smoking 15 year old with a baby and AIDS. Kids will make mistakes. Behaving stupidly is in their DNA but if we educate them it may help them behave a little smarter. I don't believe in sheltering children from the world. I think we should educate them on everything we can. Anyway, I do believe his video was a bad idea because we live in a society that believes the government is daddy and we believe how people raise their children is our business. If someone isn't beating the crap out of their kid, isn't raping their kid, loves their kid, and is trying to raise their kid the best they know how then in my mind they are a perfect parent. In short, him teaching his kid about his e-cig doesn't disturb me because it is none of my business.

I guess my point is I would have waited until he was a little older to teach him how to use the e-cig, a gun and a condom and I'm pretty sure that does not make me a poor parent. Explaining something in an age appropriate context is different than not explaining anything and different than teaching them how to do it. I was trying to be funny in regards to a condom, a kid that age shows up to school and starts talking about condoms and how to use them, you might have a whole lot of explaining to do to some people who will entirely lack a sense of humor or understanding on the subject. ;-)

Sorry - but I thought this was on track. Its not the video that is an issue to me, but the ammunition of a parent is teaching their young child how to use it. We want to self-police, but here is a possible reason we shouldn't. Are you saying its okay to teach them how to use it, just don't let anyone see? Or is the discussion on the production quality of the video? ;-) I'm confused.

Edited by FTJoe

Sorry - but I thought this was on track. Its not the video that is an issue to me, but the ammunition of a parent is teaching their young child how to use it. We want to self-police, but here is a possible reason we shouldn't. Are you saying its okay to teach them how to use it, just don't let anyone see? Or is the discussion on the production quality of the video? ;-) I'm confused.

For me it is about the quality of the video... there are a lot of instances where a video of a kid can be funny, cute, etc, but for an informational video such as an e-cig review I just don't get it. Why would I suffer through some shotty childish explanation of a product, I'd prefer to have an adult convey the information in a clear and concise manner. Guess what, everyone thinks they have a cute kid, but trust me when I say that people have better things to do with their time than look at the 37 pictures on your iPhone of your kids 6th birthday party. I'm not really talking trash because I will just choose not to watch it (I turned it off about 3 seconds into it) and in that sense it doesn't bother me at all, but come on, why would anyone want a product review from someone that doesn't use the product and can't even really say the name. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm not breeder?

For me it is about the quality of the video... there are a lot of instances where a video of a kid can be funny, cute, etc, but for an informational video such as an e-cig review I just don't get it. Why would I suffer through some shotty childish explanation of a product, I'd prefer to have an adult convey the information in a clear and concise manner. Guess what, everyone thinks they have a cute kid, but trust me when I say that people have better things to do with their time than look at the 37 pictures on your iPhone of your kids 6th birthday party. I'm not really talking trash because I will just choose not to watch it (I turned it off about 3 seconds into it) and in that sense it doesn't bother me at all, but come on, why would anyone want a product review from someone that doesn't use the product and can't even really say the name. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm not breeder?

I didn't consider it a serious review. I think he was just allowing his kid to have some fun with it. He probably saw his dad doing reviews and asked if he could give it a try.

I guess my point is I would have waited until he was a little older to teach him how to use the e-cig, a gun and a condom and I'm pretty sure that does not make me a poor parent. Explaining something in an age appropriate context is different than not explaining anything and different than teaching them how to do it. I was trying to be funny in regards to a condom, a kid that age shows up to school and starts talking about condoms and how to use them, you might have a whole lot of explaining to do to some people who will entirely lack a sense of humor or understanding on the subject. ;-)

Kids are having sex younger and younger though.

I didn't consider it a serious review. I think he was just allowing his kid to have some fun with it. He probably saw his dad doing reviews and asked if he could give it a try.

Agreed Schizo, but then let him review his new Lego set, video game, model car, you see where I'm going with this, let him review something that a kid's opinion matters on.

Sorry, I woke up two hours late this morning and don't have time to read through all the following comments, but FTJoe I think it would be the height of irresponsibility to own firearms and not teach one's kids about them. I really agree with Schizo that the best defense in these matters is a good offense. I grew up with guns and never had any doubt about their danger - because that was drilled into me from the first moment I ever saw one. That was not true for cigarettes, and by damn I was smoking when I was 7 or 8. But I never touched a gun until I was allowed to under supervision. I think this matters.

All that said though, the naysayers are going to see that video and it's going to be 'evidence' to congress to ban e cigs. That idiot has shot all of us in the foot. Teaching is one thing, hanging your life out in the street is a whole other matter.

Sorry, I woke up two hours late this morning and don't have time to read through all the following comments, but FTJoe I think it would be the height of irresponsibility to own firearms and not teach one's kids about them. I really agree with Schizo that the best defense in these matters is a good offense. I grew up with guns and never had any doubt about their danger - because that was drilled into me from the first moment I ever saw one. That was not true for cigarettes, and by damn I was smoking when I was 7 or 8. But I never touched a gun until I was allowed to under supervision. I think this matters.

All that said though, the naysayers are going to see that video and it's going to be 'evidence' to congress to ban e cigs. That idiot has shot all of us in the foot. Teaching is one thing, hanging your life out in the street is a whole other matter.

Maybe its me, and I do digress, to teach by talking is one thing and varies bsaed on age, when you hand it over to (what is that kid, 6 or 7), then I have a problem with that. That is the distinction I am making and I don't think I could have been clearer.

I keep forgetting this isn't in the lounge, open a topic up over there is anyone wants to continue the side thread.

Edited by FTJoe

I understand the distinction you are making but it isn't a gun and the kid wasn't obviously allowed to take a hit off of it. I guess I'm used to stuff like that. I've seen people smoking around their kids , getting high around their kids, asking their kids to grab their smokes, and asking their kids to get them a beer. It doesn't seem that odd to me.

I agree Jeff. Every negative news story about e-cigarettes will have that video playing in the background. I can just see it now....Fox News doing a report on the e-cigarette industry targeting children while that video plays.