Secondhand... Vapor?

Gweetus

So after what may have been two of my more productive days at work, I am no longer allowed to vape at my desk... and the reason why is questionable to me at best.

Story goes, Monday I let my co-workers and bosses know that I had tossed my pack last weekend and didn't look back. I showed off my shiny new 510 and demonstrated how it works. I was met with a lot of support and a few of the other smokers are curious, and one at least is really thinking of giving it a try. So all is golden I thought, then this morning one of my bosses is at my desk talking about a project I'm on, and one of my co-workers comes right up to my boss and tells him, "I had really bad nicotine withdrawls last night, I think it was Topher's fake cigarette (hardy har funny guy) that's causing it." THEN looks at me and says, "Can you not use that at your desk anymore?"

Now for one I'm pissed cuz that was a b*tch move, second I'm about 90% sure he's making it up. for one thing the location doesn't fit, my desk is right next to an open stairwell, his desk is on the next floor up on the other side of the stairwell, so its close, but I doubt whatever nicotine is left in my exhalation stays suspended after the vapor dissipates and then rises UP (is particulated nicotine lighter than air? I'm no chemist but for some reason I don't think so). Also he's been off tobacco for 5 years, even if he is picking something up secondhand, could it be enough to trigger withdrawal symptoms? Maybe I could see it if he had quit within the last six months or so, but a five year successful quit?

What I'm getting at is I think at best he's getting psychological triggers from seeing me use my PV, and at worst he's just making trouble, but for the sake of argument has anyone else heard of anything like this? Anyone had any ex smokers mention heavy urges or withdrawals after spending time with a vaper?

Edited by Gweetus

What a jerk!! Let me guess, does he often brag he quit "cold turkey"? That type typically doesn't like that you are getting the best of both worlds, "gettin' your nicotine and vapeing at your desk". Reformed smokers are a *****!! All high and mighty that they quit without a device. Who cares-get over yourself!!

Too late now - not much you can do be use discretion when vaping. I have been using mine at my desk for just over a year. I never brought attention to myself, some have asked about it and I gave them info. I do not do it when I think someone might see me. Cube walls are hight enough to hide me and I am not in a throughfare.

Good luck just keep it on the down low and all will soon be forgotten.

Even if you were smoking analogs, unless the smoke was being sucked up the stairwell into his space he would not be getting anything second hand if he's on a floor above you. It is also highly unlikely that there would be enough nicotine left in what you exhale to hardly be detectable, let alone trigger "nicotine withdrawal" in him.

This guy is a first class ***hat, plain and simple. I would almost bet that he is also a supreme brown nose. Unfortunately, if the boss bought into his crap there's not a long you can do about it other than stealth vape. Since there is no lingering smell, if you just hold the vapor in for a couple of seconds longer, there will be very little vapor exhaled. Then the moron won't have anything to complain about.

I never really realised how much vapor I put off when I am on a roll ,until one day the sun was shining in the front door and it looked like a bar in there.I was vaping mostly VG which really puts it out and I was having a blast making smoke rings through the sunbeams.I don't think I would make a big issue of it just get up and go for a stroll if you can.

What an a**. He's the exsmoker every one loves to hate. Even if you smoked analogs at your desk he wouldnt smell it the next floor up. He's just trying to brown nose the boss. Find him outside and tell him what fer.

Man, what a RICHARDHEAD!!

People like this deserve a good swift kick in the face. I would accuse him of trying to get me fired. I would tell all the other employees to really watch what they say and do around this guy. The least he could have done is approach you and tell you what he thought before saying something in front of the boss. If he would have done that to me, I would never forget it.

I'm sorry, but especially in todays economy, I don't have a shread of patience for someone who starts petty crap at work.

hahaha, indeed he is one of those pretentious "Why don't you just go cold turkey, I did." types. And its funny, that is kinda brown noser mentality, but the reality is kinda the opposite, he's usually way contentious with everyone, including the bosses, kinda an office outcast type, which is another point in favor of just making trouble. Lucky I know the best way to handle his type, I'll ignore him completely unless he come to me with a work question, I think he's the chip on his shoulder type that enjoys people blowing up on him, makes em feel justified.

Maybe I can kill two birds, get revenge and test out this theory. If I start stealth vaping at my desk, and he doesn't say anything more, then mystery solved and he ends up looks stupider than he already does.

If you start stealth vaping, you won't be able to call him out without the boss having to defend his rule that he placed on you.

Being that his complaint was based solely on the nicotine thing, I would explain to only your boss that they make nicotine free liquid and ask if you can use that instead, as it should not cause any problems. Wait til he sees you and starts complaining about his withdraws again and then pop the fact that there is no nicotine in the liquid you are currently using. This will expose him as a liar and hopefully allow you to resume your nicotine packed vaping.

Some good points here first,

I would explain to only your boss that they make nicotine free liquid and ask if you can use that instead, as it should not cause any problems.

Secondly,

Wait til he sees you and starts complaining about his withdraws again and then pop the fact that there is no nicotine in the liquid you are currently using. This will expose him as a liar and hopefully allow you to resume your nicotine packed vaping.

Don't do this UNTIL you ask your boss, cuz this is against your boss' direct request that you stop vaping.

Hopefully your boss will say yes -- then bust that crybaby!!

this is really humorous, like a situation comedy!!! gweetus, you must let us all know how this all turns out LOL!!

Yep, this could be a Seinfeld episode, Kramer vaping and George complaining and Mr. Peterman as the boss!! Elaine of course would be the witness to this stupidity. All of them explaining to Jerry at his apartment.

People can be amazing. Even if he had managed to get a hit of nicotine somehow.... even sucking on yer "vaper maker" It couldn't POSSIBLY cause withdrawal symptoms for pity's sake.

Ya know.... former smokers become anti smokers in NO TIME flat. I call em "born agains". New vapers are kinda the same way (including me, but shhhhhhh I didn't say that) in that we go getting every vape toy we can get our hands on, and want to tell the world. That's a "born again" sorta mentality too.

I have been going outside to vape if I am in a public place to avoid worrying anyone, but I work out of my home, sooooo it's only at restaurants or whatever that I need to do that.

Here in Tennessee they decided that you could only smoke 50 feet from any public building. Most times this is not really doable, you would end up on the yellow line. But I understand the logic, keeping the smoke away from the entrance. All they really had to do was move the ashtrays away from the doors. People hang by the ashtrays. DOH.

Though, if you look by the ashtrays at the doors, you wonder WHY because most of them miss the ashtrays anyway.

Oh dear I wandered. ANYWAY - your boss seems rather cowardly to me to be takin your vape due to a guy from upstairs. I mean what about the people in your area, were THEY going thru withdrawal? LOL

I remember that sort of thing a lot when I worked in the corporate world. I was told by one boss that I should explain to every passer by, because every time I googled something for my job (I was in IT) they'd go running to tell him I was PLAYING GAMES on my computer.

I told him if I spent all my time explaining my job, then I wouldn't have time to DO my job. I didn't tell him to grow a backbone, but my lip was bleedin....oh yeah.

All this rambling is just to say..... I feel yer pain! hehe

Teri

I wonder if you explained to your boss that what that guy said was impossible and a joke? Still, what a total jerk. Sounds pretty obnoxious lol. I hope they change their mind. Luckily, I don't have a problem with it at my job, but then I work graveyards and I don't volunteer any unnecessary info to my boss! haha Since I work alone, nobody sees me which eliminates the problem of ratty little b$#@%es. ;)

Ex-smokers are the most anal-retentive non-smokers there are. Sorry to here you have one. Looks like your stuck out in the cold because of him.

I quit one time for three years and smokers never bothered me. I certainly never had a nic withdrawal from being around one.

Not much I can add to all this except my sympathy. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything more you can do; once the boss says NO, no stays said. He can't withdraw that directive without messing up his authority. But that little snipe upstairs can't hide at work all the time... Perhaps he needs a little social conditioning lesson. Can you say B-L-A-N-K-E-T--P-A-R-T-Y? :D I really, actively dislike people like that.

Hang in there brother, and just go vape with the smokers. And watch for that little pri#k to find himself alone in the dark sometime... :D

Oh - just to answer your question - second-hand vapor is inconsequential. There is NO WAY he could have had any exposure to nicotine. People sitting right next to you have no exposure to nicotine.

I've been lucky at my employment so far. I vape pretty openly and honestly answer any questions anyone has - which have been very few. I know what the PC HR folks are like and am pretty sure when they get wind of vaping their kneejerk reaction is going to be NO! We'll see though. I have set a precedent of no issues for anyone.

Oh - just to answer your question - second-hand vapor is inconsequential. There is NO WAY he could have had any exposure to nicotine. People sitting right next to you have no exposure to nicotine.

I've been lucky at my employment so far. I vape pretty openly and honestly answer any questions anyone has - which have been very few. I know what the PC HR folks are like and am pretty sure when they get wind of vaping their kneejerk reaction is going to be NO! We'll see though. I have set a precedent of no issues for anyone.

I definitely agree, how much nic could be left on an exhale? This is one of the reasons I believe in the don't ask don't tell. If I do it at the desk it's stealth and I'm 0 nic!! Once you open that can of worms, you may get a crappy answer to a question you never even asked. Even at parties I'll ask if it's okay unless it's a smoker's house.

Edited by FTJoe

MWA HA HA! The plot thickens! Like some of you have said, the boss can't reneg unless the the guy pulls back his complaint... but no one said he can't make fun of it, to everybody, in every department! I was seeing a little to much red to catch what was going on in the background, but apearantly my boss as well as a few of the guys close by who wittnessed it started the office rumor machine rumbling, and while I still can't vape at my desk, my little nemesis is now the butt of several hilarious spinoff's. Complaints are being loudly voiced throughout the office of secondhand pepsi withdrawals, big mac fits, and everyone has been blaming my vaping (jokingly) for everything from running out of staples to program crashes. I should have known in an office of only 20 people that any kind of jack ***ery would go viral. Also we do joke around alot and people can get ruthless.

Anyway I feel alot better, the worst i have to do is go outside, and as long as I'm not the one directly makeing fun of him, there is nothing that can splash back on me. Though a couple of guys may or may not have gotten a few ideas for some emails to circulate around :innocent:

I love it when they dig their own graves.