Goucher College Survey

Speakeasy

"Your stupid if you smoke cigarettes. Your even stupider if you smoke e-cigarettes. If your going to kill yourself softly, best to use the real one."

"The e-cigarette is modeling a negative health behavior."

"All forms of smoking and nicotine ingestion should be banned!"

These are just a few of the comments made by people at Goucher College, in Baltimore Maryland.

Late in 2009, the faculty, staff, and students were asked to take part in a survey that asked if the electronic cigarette should be included the school's smoking ban. I think that what this survey shows says a great deal about what the public perception is on the e-cig.

470 people responded to the survey. 64 were faculty members, 97 were other staff members, and another 309 were students.

160 people responded that the e-cig should not be included in the smoking ban (12 faculty, 23 staff, and 125 students).

310 people responded that the e-cig should be included in the smoking ban (52 faculty, 74 staff, and 184 students).

The result was, obviously, that e-cigs were included in the smoking ban. But whats most important, in my opinion, is that the survey actually published all the comments that were made by the people surveyed. I think it offers a very valuable insight into what folks are thinking in regards to vaping. I also think it shows just how powerful the right to vote really is, and just how dangerous the ballot can be when put into the wrong hands, :wallbash:

Anti-smoking pundits and the FDA have basically dragged the electronic cigarette through the mud. So, what should we do about it? What can we do to change the public's perception (anything)? Vaportalk.com is a FANTASTIC start, I know, but can we do more?

Lets hear some ideas. Lets hear what you guys think about what we need to do. Positive approaches would be helpful, guys. Running around screaming "Kiss my ---" and "Suck my -----" doesn't work. Even if all we manage to do is show how stupid using the word "stupider" is, it would be a positive thing.

Edited by Speakeasy

bring around a DIY kit. Containing VG & Flavoring NO NIC

Some empty carts & some filling.

And mix up a good flavor And vape it in front of them to make them think.

hmm that smells good What is that.

its vegetable glycerin from the healthfood store & candy flavoring.

Would love to smell that in school when I went.

Instead of nasty tobacco smells on breaks

Nice find Speak. After reading most of the comments (couldn't finish because everyone was so uninformed)-I think the first thing we could do is start calling them what they are--PVs (personal vaporizors). as opposed to e-cigs. I know this may not sound like much but this is what our politicians do when something doesn't sound so good---just change the name--lol. I'll have to put some more thought into this. :coffee:

Nice find Speak. After reading most of the comments (couldn't finish because everyone was so uninformed)-I think the first thing we could do is start calling them what they are--PVs (personal vaporizors). as opposed to e-cigs. I know this may not sound like much but this is what our politicians do when something doesn't sound so good---just change the name--lol. I'll have to put some more thought into this. :coffee:

Very good point...

Interesting results from the future of our country. Bah.

I agree that they should not -- EVER -- be called e-cigarettes or e-cigs. Anything with the word "cigarette" brings up bad things for people. Even I won't call them that because I'm guessing they are VERY different than any cigarette I've ever smoked. And, simply put, they are NOT one, so why call them one? I'm sure it was to get the attention of smokers. We need to hurry and change the name before it becomes more well known. :blink:

I also refuse to call using a PV "smoking".

I noticed that a lot of the comments mentioned how the e-cig looked like a real cigarette, and how other comments focus on how the process promotes the act of smoking. Other commentors came right out and lied, saying that the e-cig stinks "just like a real cigarette".

I can't understand how these people can be so offended by smells. How about that perfume, or worse, that B.O.? So what? Should we ban insense too?

And what about the comment that says, "it models an unhealthy behavior"? Why is that so bad but standing on your head and drinking beer straight from the tap is concidered "cool"? Or why don't we ban Mcdonald's and candy? Doesn't that model an unhealthy behavior?

People seem to use hypocritical arguments as long as it fits their agenda. I'm sure if they were educated on PV's, they could only have the opinion that they are far better than smoking (just like those that have quit smoking by using the devices have). They may still not like it, for whatever silly reasons they have, but they wouldn't have much ammo to bash them.

The nannies want everything banned and will go to all lengths to get it done from my experience. MADD, SADD, PETA, the FDA, gun control lobbyists, etc., while all nice in theory, all go far beyond reason.

First things first.... get away from the name and anything related to "Cigarette." That's the very beginning of our down fall. Secondly is to calmly, logically, and soundly prove them wrong. How? i'm not entirely sure. But i can tell you that i changed an office full of people around in how they thought and viewed it, 3 vendors, a boyfriend and his family, and 5 sets of couples/friends. (ok so one of the people at work i just basically had to bash in the head, but she had it coming long before e-cigs.... :rolleyes2: ) Its like anything else - one step at a time. But we cant lose our credibilty by attacking them with horrible words and name calling in the process. For me, I have my Dr making notations in my chart health wise since i've quit and started vaping. Hopfully one day this will add to the fight. Also we're lucky to have smart guys in our corner like chris - trying to improve on, what many of us already think of as perfect, and making it safer for us. Its frustrating but we must have diligence and patience - That's always a good place to start.

WOW So many great wordings & Replies.

My First post was sorta being funny & a Joke. Especially Since I am not good at writing something to stand out properly.

But first off everyone is correct about the Cigarette part of it.

Hence 1 reason why I also ordered the JuiceBox. Something different & Does What it is made to do.

Everyone has misconceptions of these devices. Especially with the word Cigarette in it.

Yes some of the flavors truly do stink or smell burnt. But nobody has told me they smell like cigarettes.

Most never seen smelled or heard of them.

They just assume its tobacco related Yes because of the name.

Which Just gives me more Idea's.

I Also Agree it should be Called A Personal Vaporizer.

Enough for now.

I need a nap LOL Very Very Long Nap.