"high Voltage" Attys And A Quick Recap Of My Vaping...

Alucard

Hello One and All,

I hope that everyone is well here on the VT forum... As of late I have found myself upgrading and dabbling further in the realm of vapory... I have been free of analogs for 83 days and have been vaping for about 1 and 1/2 months and have been thoroughly enjoying it! I started with a 510 which worked just fine (and most of the original equipment is still working flawlessly) , but wanted more so I moved on to the spade which I really enjoy and would recommend to anyone looking for a well made, quality 3.7 volt mod... I have had some trouble with the battery life on this unit as I've heard others have had... one of my original batteries only lasts about 1/2 an hour and the second around 2 hours... I have yet to pass judgment on the culprit in this situation... I have attempted all of the cleaning methods Chris and others have suggested and have found no improvement, but recently purchased two more 14400 batteries in hopes that my original set are what is causing my problem... Even with this issue the spade has become my everyday on-the-go device of choice... I've only had to break out my old 510 kit(s) when the spade's batteries crapped out on me and left me with nothing... that is, until now... I have also come to the conclusion that VT Mentha is my vape of choice after much testing of various juices from various suppliers...FTJoe has also inspired me to aim for 0nic when the time finally comes that I have decided that that is what I want... I took the plunge and picked up the VP-PT and it has officially blown my mind and melted my face... this thing produces more vapor and more flavor than I could have imagined even after watching and reading numerous reviews of the model (Chris' and GrimmGreen's among them naturally...) So far the performance is unbelievable through my Mac's USB... I'm too intimidated to actually plug it into the wall to experience the entire 5 volts of raw vaping power as of yet... It does burn (using this term loosely of course) through quite a bit of juice when compared to the 510 or spade... but that is a small concession for the experience... (or a conspiracy by Chris to make me buy Mentha at greater quantity at a greater frequency...) My question is in regards to the 510 attys I use... I have heard that vaping at a higher voltage will shorten the life of your attys... now I'm not overly concerned, but I have also heard GrimmGreen (have you gathered that he is my favorite reviewer yet? lol) and others mention that "High Volt" attys exist out there somewhere... Is this true? Do they last that much longer on a PV than a standard atty? How much more expensive are they, and where can I get them?

-Alucard

Edited by Alucard

Hi Alucard, I have not purchased any HV attys. I can tell you that I had my 801LB on my PT for 2 months without any problems. My wife has had a 510 on her PT without any issues either. We both use the PT at 5V. This is my experience with the standard attys, so I don't see a need for some specialty HV attys.

lol, I'm getting more confused as I learn more about these things... :unsure:

I've heard two very conflicting ideas now... The first is that some people have been using the same atty on their passthrough for months with no problem at all... and the second is that people are just burning through attys like crazy (I have heard reports of some only lasting a few days each time) and thus the need for the high voltage attys... Upon inspecting the site (thanks birddog!) I began reading about resistance and ohms... Now I do have a layman's understanding of these electrical terms, and am I to believe that these high voltage atty's actually reduce the voltage being used? lol... if that is the case then it would be like vaping at 3 volts on a 5 volt pt? Well.. what would the point be to that? I'm hoping someone has some insight here because this is boggling my mind...

-Alucard

lol, I'm getting more confused as I learn more about these things... :unsure:

I've heard two very conflicting ideas now... The first is that some people have been using the same atty on their passthrough for months with no problem at all... and the second is that people are just burning through attys like crazy (I have heard reports of some only lasting a few days each time) and thus the need for the high voltage attys... Upon inspecting the site (thanks birddog!) I began reading about resistance and ohms... Now I do have a layman's understanding of these electrical terms, and am I to believe that these high voltage atty's actually reduce the voltage being used? lol... if that is the case then it would be like vaping at 3 volts on a 5 volt pt? Well.. what would the point be to that? I'm hoping someone has some insight here because this is boggling my mind...

-Alucard

I really wish I could help you out. I myself am just getting the grasp on the batteries. :) One thing at a time for me.

Edited by BirdDog

They say the HV attys are 4.5 and also 5.2 ohms, what's the point.

A std 801 = 3.3 ohms and a 510 = 2.3 ohms.

By almost doubling the resistance you then are using you 5 volt device as

a 3.7 volt device because of the power.

power = voltage x voltage/resistance

std atty

p= 5 x 5/3.3 = 7.57 watts

hv atty

p= 5 x 5/5.2 = 4.8 watts

3.7 volt device

p=3.7 x 3.7/3.3 = 4.1 watts

They say the HV attys are 4.5 and also 5.2 ohms, what's the point.

A std 801 = 3.3 ohms and a 510 = 2.3 ohms.

By almost doubling the resistance you then are using you 5 volt device as

a 3.7 volt device because of the power.

power = voltage x voltage/resistance

std atty

p= 5 x 5/3.3 = 7.57 watts

hv atty

p= 5 x 5/5.2 = 4.8 watts

3.7 volt device

p=3.7 x 3.7/3.3 = 4.1 watts

Ah! Thank you for clearing this up chris! So indeed the resistance would make a passthrough equal in power to any standard 3.7 volt device... well... I guess the alternative to the so called high voltage attys is to just stock up on normal attys and hope they hold up...

-Alucard

hi,Alucard, i haven't been vaping that long but have been vaping heavy on a vp-pt for about two weeks using joye 510 atty's. all i do is drip and haven't lost an atty yet. i have only used the wall 110v for power which is supposed to give you 5v. the result is excellent vapor and flavor!! i hope saying this doesn't jinx me LOL and wish you good luck.

I hear a lot of talk about volts and watts... Where does amps come into play. For instance, I have a usb/car adapter that says 5v +-5%, I understand this. It also says 500mA. which I think is half an amp. This is not enough for a quality vape is it? It works fine because it keeps the in-line bat. charged but I don't know how many volts I am actually getting. What would be the best mA for 5 volt and for 3.7 or 4.whatever. In other words, Where is the sweet spot? P.S. I got my grape soda and midnight in less that 2 days. These guys are on the ball!

To run a VP PT you would need a car adapter like what we have in the VT store which is rated at 2000ma. We are out of stock but Vaprlife has them in stock. :)

Just to add to the high voltage deal I've been using a standard joye 510 atomizer on my VT PT and I've never had one go out on me. Just make sure the atty is kept moist. This whole high volt atomizer craze is mubo jumbo. Stick to the atomizer you already have. Believe me if there was a better atomizer for high volt devices we would already have them ;)