Innokin Kroma-R Zlide 80W Kit

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the 80W Kroma-R with Zlide MTL Tank from Innokin. The Kroma-R Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

Introduction

Innokin along with Aspire are possibly responsible for getting more people of the stinkies than any other vaping manufacturer and have earned themselves a great deal of respect especially as they have always treated vaping safety as a priority!

Here we have their latest Kroma device the Kroma-R paired up with the Zlide MTL Tank which is the successor to the Zenith and part of the platform series in collaboration with Phil Busardo and the VapinGreek.

The Kroma-R is constructed of premium Zinc Alloy and is a power only device boasting various power modes and pre-heat settings. It accommodates an 18650 battery and has a front fire bar with integrated navigational buttons and display, coming in 4 very nice colour options let's check out the Kroma-R with Zlide Kit!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Kroma-R device
1 x Zlide tank 4ml (2ml TPD)
1 x 1.2Ω z-head (installed)
1 x 0.8Ω z-head (spare)
1 x spare drip tip
1 x spare glass tube
1 x spare o-rings pack
1 x Micro USB charging cable
1 x Quick start guide

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Kroma-R Kit came in cardboard drawer style packaging which then opens up to reveal mod, tank and spare glass and coil in one side and paperwork with spares o-rings etc and USB cable in the other. I received the Bronze version which has a really nice brushed Bronze finish and comes with a Black Zlide Tank. The options are Black, Bronze, Gun metal or Steel, the Black has a matte finish while the other three versions have a really nice brushed finish.

The Kroma-R is taller than the previous Kroma-A which allows the accommodation of an 18650 battery and on the base we have a hinged battery door with catch. The device has a very ergonomic form factor and feels great in the hand, the spine is curved and has a textured inlay which has a rubber like coating. Base and top has a very shiny metallic finish which on mine is in Gun metal and we have a stainless Steel 510 plate which is raised an hair (will protect the finish but no visible gaping), the 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded with a medium throw.

On one side of the device we have "KROMA-R" and the other "INNOKIN", both embossed into the metal. The front has a Black fire bar which can be pressed anywhere on the top two thirds so ideal for the squeeze fire technique, the bar has both integrated navigational buttons and colour display, below the fire bar we have the micro USB port. I particularly like the round navigational buttons that line up vertically, protrude nicely and have an amber outer parameter which really sets them off but when shaking the device they do give slight rattle although not noticed during normal use.

Apart from the very slight rattle from the navigational buttons the build quality is superb and has a form factor which is very appealing to the eye (subjective).

Zlide Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 48mm (TPD 22 x 46mm)
Capacity: 4ml (TPD 2ml)
Innokin's bestselling Z-Coils for great flavor
Child safety locking system for secure and easy filling
Replaceable glass tank section and silicone seal
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Gun metal, Blue

Zlide MTL Tank Overview

The Zlide MTL Tank is a progression of the Zenith Tank and takes the same Z-coils (if it ain't broke why fix it!) which along with the Nautilus coils are very much regarded as MTL benchmarks.

I received the 4ml Zlide but the TPD compliant kit comes with the 2ml option, Pre-installed we have the KA1 1.2ohm vertical round wire coil head rated between 10 to 14w and also included is the KA1 0.8ohm vertical round wire coil head rated between 15 to 18w, of course there are more options available. Also included is spare o-rings, fill port gasket, screws, spare glass and two 510 drip tips.

The drip tip that's pre-installed has a protruding section at the bottom, this is a child proof feature and stops the top of the tank being slid open to fill, first the drip tip needs removing. For those that really don't want this feature and find having to remove the drip tip every time they need to fill the tank a pain a standard 510 is also included allowing the top to slide open with the drip tip installed, of course you could fit your own if you prefer.

The fill port isn't the biggest so glass droppers are not suitable but gorilla nozzles etc are fine with space left to let air escape so no issues with backing up e-liquid when filling. There is an arrow showing where to push the top to slide open and then once filled slide the top shut.

The airflow control ring has a series of 4 small holes, all 4 open is quite a loose MTL draw while 1 gives a cigarette type pull, 2 and 3 holes open give more mid MTL draws.

The base of the tank houses the airflow control and the 510 threading itself is attached to the base of the coil and feeds through the central hole of the base. Like the Zenith the coils just get press fitted into place making swapping coils very quick.

Kroma-R Specs and Features:

Material: Premium Zinc Alloy
Size: 131 x 40 x 26mm
Powered By Single High-Rate 18650 Battery(Sold Separately)
Output Power Range: 6-80W
Ultra-Fast Firing Speed Low To 0.003S
Working Modes: VW, VV, Taste Modes(Soft, Norm, Boost), Custom Curve, Bypass
Working Voltage: 1.0-7.5V
Cut Off Time: 3-18S
Max Output Current: 30A
Resistance Range: 0.05-3.5ohm
Large colour display screen
USB 2A fast charging
Integrated firing button
Hinged battery door
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Bronze, Gun metal, Steel

Fitting The Battery

The Kroma-R accommodates an 18650 which gets fitted via the bottom hinged door which has a sliding catch with grooves that needs sliding before lifting open, when closing just push the door down and the catch will automatically lock securely in place.

Battery orientation is marked very vibrantly at the bottom of the tubes and enough light gets into the compartment with the door open that the just embossed orientation on the underside of the door can be overlooked, i'm happy with this!

The door shuts very securely and has no movement and i experienced no battery rattle whatsoever, very good job!

The Display

I really like the display, it's bright and sharp and is also colour but uses colour sparingly to still give a classy aesthetic look and unlike a few displays i have witnessed lately all font is in a good size making it no problem to read all the information given.

Top left we have a padlock icon and top right we have the battery status bar. Below we have the Wattage or Voltage depending which mode you are in and underneath this is the mode and any pre-heat information.

Bottom left we have first the duration of your puff and below the puff count which only goes up to 999 and then automatically resets, bottom right we first have the resistance and then finally the voltage below.

Navigating The Kroma-R

Unlike most devices which are 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and off the Kroma-R is just 3 clicks and when using a new coil the screen will come up with the following list Same, Wattage, Voltage, Curve, Bypass so you can either use your last settings "Same" or this is a shortcut to use any of the other modes.

The wattage is locked by default but the navigational buttons can still be used to enter the menu, however pressing down and fire together completely locks and unlock the navigational buttons (the device still fires). The other combination press feature is up and fire together which brings up a screen which shows the voltage on the battery, ohms and current puff count and gives you the option of resetting although the counter only goes up to 999 before resetting anyway.

To alter the wattage or voltage (when in voltage mode) you first need to hold down either the up or down button until the wattage or voltage blinks then the wattage can be adjusted in 0.5w increments (voltage in 0.05v increments). When the screen timeouts or the fire button is pressed the wattage (or voltage) will become locked again, i like this it means even without locking the device the wattage isn't going to adjust by accident!

Pressing both navigational buttons together enters the menu which brings up a list of options which are Wattage, Watt Mode, Voltage, Volt Mode, Curve, Bypass, Cut-off, Screen and Back which takes you back to your previous working screen. Wattage and Voltage are basic modes while Watt and Volt Mode options allow you to set pre-heats for either the options being Norm, Soft and Hard.

Curves is particularly implemented well and gives multiple preset options you can choose from as well as programming your own. Bypass just gives you what voltage is on your battery like with a mechanical device but with the piece of mind the device has multiple safety protections, Cut-off is your max vape time and finally Screen is the Screen Timeout settings!

Charging

As ever i never recommend charging batteries in the device unless it's your only option so i suppose the fact we haven't got Type C USB because the device accommodates a switchable 18650 isn't a big deal but still preferable.

We do have 2A charging if you do find you need to charge in the device and pass-through is supported.

My Experience Using The Kroma-R Kit And Thoughts!

The Kroma-R is a well executed power only device with the lack of TC features not stopping it from having plenty of mode options with Variable wattage, voltage, bypass and very well implemented curves features. While having no TC will of course be a deal breaker for TC users with the vast majority of vapers not using TC i feel there should be more power only regulated devices available.

The device fires instantly and i loved firing the device with a squeeze motion rather than a single finger press but of course you can do that if you wish. The device has in my opinion both an aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically sound form factor and love the amber parameter of the navigational buttons (a small thing but shows when designing this device attention to detail has been given).

I like how the wattage locks automatically and it has a separate lock feature for completely locking the navigational buttons and the list driven menu system is very user friendly. The hinged battery door is one of the best ones i have used, fastens securely and seems as solid and durable as the rest of the device. The only cons i have is the usual absents of Type C USB and the fire bar with integrated buttons and display does get a collection of fingerprints, their is also that slight rattle from the navigational buttons but i really did need to shake the device quite vigorously to detect it so quite petty!

The Zlide has become one of the most popular stock coil MTL tanks and the successor to the benchmark Zenith taking the same Z-coil range. I love the flavour the coils give even if longevity isn't the greatest although the Plex3D 0.48ohm Z coil head gives great longevity and even better flavour but isn't included in the kit.

I find i can use up to 70VG e-liquid with the coils but if using thicker juice you do need to give extra priming time and avoid chain vaping so for better longevity i recommend 50/50. I used both supplied coils with 10mg 50/50 nic salts and the 0.8ohm i found best fully open at 18w for a loose MTL vape. I preferred the 1.2ohm coil head with 2 holes open at 12w for a medium tight MTL which really suited this coil giving quite intense flavour!

I like how the coils just get press fitted into place and how the childproof feature is implemented using a protruding section on the drip tip which means you need to remove it to open. If you don't want the feature simple use the other supplied drip tip or one of your own and it's still not an open in your pocket candidate as it's got quite a stiff tolerance and takes a deliberate push to open!

Having a 4ml capacity (standard tank) and receiving 2 coils and a spare glass section are all pros and using the Kroma-R with the Zlide gives really good battery life as you are vaping at such low wattage's. Up to 26mm atty's will fit without overhang and although i don't recommend charging the battery in the device it supports both 2A charging and pass-through but just feel it should be Type C!

Excellent build quality
Very ergonomic
Aesthetically pleasing form factor (subjective)
4 Very nice colour options
Made of Premium Zinc Alloy
Nice curved, textured spine
Front fire bar with integrated colour display and navigational buttons
Well executed hinged battery door
Wattage auto locks
Scrolls at nice speed in 0.5w increments
Wattage, Voltage, Curve and Bypass modes
Both wattage and voltage pre-heats
Curve feature implemented particularly well
Accommodates 18650 battery
2A charge rate, supports pass-through
Sharp, bright colour display with good use of colour
Zlide excellent MTL tank
Both Z coils gave very good flavour
Cigarette type draw through to loose MTL draw
2 coils and spare glass included
PnP style coils
Childproof fill system with pre-installed drip tip
Included standard drip-tip or use your own
4ml Capacity (standard Kit)

Cons

No TC settings (only a con for TC users, a pro for most)
Fire bar attracts fingerprints
very slight rattle from navigational buttons (petty not noticed during normal use)
Not Type C USB
Z coils longevity inconsistent (my experience from using them on different occasions)

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the Innokin Kroma-R Zlide 80W Kit, thanks for reading and stay safe!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines