Vaporesso TARGET PM80 - A Sub-ohm Pod Mod

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the TARGET PM80 Sub-ohm Pod Mod from Vaporesso. The TARGET PM80 Sub-ohm Pod Mod was supplied free of charge for the purpose of this review by Jessica from Vaporesso.

Introduction

Vaporesso enter the Pod Mod arena in style with the Target PM80, a sub-ohm DL device which is also compatible with the Vinci coils. The Target comes with 2 pods, 2 different sub-ohm mesh coil heads and offers plenty of functionality with a menu system. Powered by the popular Axon Chip it fires in an instant and as well as Variable Wattage, Smart Wattage and Variable Voltage modes also detects the coil to give recommended wattage parameters while also having a 7 day puff counter to give a puff monitoring solution. With 4ml (2ml TPD) clear pods for easy visibility of your juice and comfortable proprietary drip tip the Target PM80 which comes in a bunch of colour/design options is well worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 Battery
2 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 POD 4ml (2ml TPD)
1 x GTX 0.2ohm MESH COIL
1 x GTX 0.3ohm MESH COIL
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card
1 x Coil Head Specs Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

I received The Red version, it comes in 6 colour options with a Gunmetal Zinc Alloy chassis but we also have a further 4 options with a Silver frame. I like the aesthetics and form factor of most of the Pod Mods we have seen enter the marketplace but in my opinion Vaporesso have knocked the ball out the park with the Target PM80, i will let the pictures and comparison photo do the talking!

The only possible con i can see with it's aesthetics to some is the Chassis is a fingerprint magnet so some might of preferred a matte finish!

Target PM80, Smok RPM40, Vinci X, Aegis Boost!

Target PM80 Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 102 x 33.4 x 24.8mm
Material: Zinc Alloy
Display: 0.96”TFT Screen
Battery: Built-in 2000mAh
Resistance : GTX 0.2ohm mesh coil (45–60W); GTX 0.3ohm mesh coil (32-45W)
Power Output: 5-80W
Charging Current: 2A Micro USB
Cartridge Capacity: 4ml/2ml
AXON chip for smart VW
Innovative GTX coils for better flavor
Easy top refill design
2A fast charging, 45 mins a full charge
4ml liquid capacity and Transparent E-Juice Window
Multiple functional protections
Colours: Black, Blue, Red, Green, Brown, Silver, Silver Blue, Silver Carbon Fiber, Silver Purple, Silver Net

+ 4 Designs with Silver Frame!

The Pod

You receive 2 pods which is a pro and the capacity is 4ml or 2ml if you have the TPD compliant pods. The top of the pods have a slanted flat top with fixed proprietary drip tip very much like the Podstick pods but just larger and with a wider bore.

The pods are clear and with a combination of how much of the pod protrudes from the top of the device and the large airflow cutouts on both sides of the device we have very good visibility of the e-liquid.

Moving to the base and we can see the coils will be just press fitted into place and we also have 2 very large round magnets. To one side is a really chunky fill bung which can be easily lifted and then turned (it stays attached to the pod) to reveal a very large fill port which allows air still to escape when most sized nozzles are inserted so the pod can be filled quickly and mess free, the bung fits deep giving a really good seal. Although having to remove the pod to fill isn't perfect i like the fill method and i had no flooding or leaking after filling or refilling the pod.

The coils

You receive 2 different Nichrome Mesh coils and also a coil head specs card is included giving detailed specs. We have the 0.3ohm GTX mesh coil head which is rated between 32w to 45w and the 0.2ohm GTX mesh coil head which has a rating of 45w to 60w, the bore on the 0.2ohm coil is just slightly wider.

The coils look the same style and size as the Vinci coils and in fact they are interchangeable which can only be a good thing giving more options and coil availability.

The coil head just get press fitted into the pod where it secures onto the air pipe via an o-ring with another o-ring sealing the fit at the base, either side we have part of the coil protruding and large air intakes to allow plenty of air to the centre of the coils.

İmageİmage

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the pod's bay we can see the two Gold plated, spring loaded contacts on a small raised rectangular section and 2 large magnets, also visible on the sides are the large airflow cutout sections.

The pod fits very securely and has no movement whatsoever, in fact it's quite difficult to get grip to give a strong enough pull to remove upwards so the trick is to put your finger behind the drip tip and pull forward which in conjunction with the slope of the fit lifts the pod free, really like this a lot!

The Airflow

The air gets access to the base of the coil head via 3 large cutout sections either side of the device and despite some plugs being included it's a bit of an archaic method to really credit the device as having adjustable airflow. For me the coil heads included suit the open airflow but you do receive 4 plugs so plugging one side will give a more restrictive draw but when plugging both sides it didn't suit the coils at all, i suppose it's a better solution than some trying to reduce airflow by putting their finger over the openings!

The Display

There is a lot of information given on the screen but it's very well laid out and the display is bright and very sharp and in my opinion the best display yet with a Pod Mod just slightly better than the Vinci devices that also have excellent displays.

Top left we have a battery status bar followed by the status also given as a percentage, top right we have the mode. Below the described we have the wattage or Voltage (if in Variable Voltage mode) and then underlining this is what looks like a bar chart style graphic which moves in real time adding to the aesthetics.

Below the bar graph equaliser type graphic we have the best Wattage Parameter for the attached coil (this says --- when no coil attached). Below to the left we have resistance then right the Voltage. Finally bottom left we have the puff counter and bottom right the time of your last vape.

Detecting Coils

As well as the Smart adjustable Wattage that when set on automatically adjusts to a recommended wattage we also have on the main screen the best wattage parameters for the attached coil which doesn't set Wattage but is a good reminder of the attached coil heads best recommended wattage range.

Operating The Device

The Target PM80 is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on 3 clicks of the fire button locks the navigational buttons but the device will still fire.

The device adjust in 0.5w increments or 1w increments when the button is held down and scrolls at a nice speed from 5 to 80W. Pressing both navigational buttons together brings up a listed menu which can be scrolled down with fire selecting. We have Variable Wattage, Variable Voltage, Smart Variable Wattage, Puffs, Theme, Default and Exit.

Choosing puffs brings up a 7 day puff monitor and also allows the puffs to be reset. Theme allows you to choose a different colour to display certain information and icons on the screen, the choice is between Green, Blue or Pink. Smart Variable Wattage allows this feature to be turned on or off, if on when a coil is first attached the wattage will automatically adjust to a suitable wattage but will still adjust in the usual manner.

Variable Voltage only adjusts up to 4.0V so it seems the device doesn't have voltage boost which isn't a problem with the provided coils and i would imagine any future coil heads released would also bare this in mind so i can only see this being an issue if an RBA head is released with certain builds could have performance compromised but for me personally i am fine with this because of the build range i use.

Charging

Unfortunately we don't have type C USB but according to the specs we do have 2A charging although i'm suspicious the 2000mAh is slightly exaggerated and as it took 1 hour 15 mins to charge (even if it is 2000mAh i would expect an hour at 2A) i suspect it's 1.5A charge rate.

Despite all that i am still happy with battery life comparable to the other Pod Mods that have an in-built battery and 1hour 15mins to charge even if it's slightly less than 2000mAh is perfectly acceptable, i also like the side position of the micro USB.

While charging the current charge is displayed both via a battery bar and as a percentage with estimated time left to charge also displayed, the Target PM80 also supports pass-through!

My thoughts And How It Vapes?

If you like either an authentic MTL vape or even a looser MTL this device isn't for you, as the marketing suggests it's DL all the way. While like pretty much every pod/AIO set-up it isn't perfect but all things considered the Target PM80 might well become many vapers favourite pod device.

Top-fill would be preferred but the fill method has been implemented well and i suffered no leaking via the fill port as the plug seals it very well, any moisture found from time to time was minimal and definitely coming from the large airflow inlets at the base of the coil but with airflow delivered this way and the size of the inlets i was surprised by how minimal the moisture was.

Battery life i found compared favourably to similar devices and more than happy with the charge time but despite this i felt if it is 2000mAh life would of been better than i have been getting and charge rate seems more like 1.5A (still good) rather than the claimed 2A. Finally adjustable airflow to micro manage the draw would be an improvement but at least some thought (probably last minute) has gone into supplying rubber plugs to give a degree of control but hardly warrants saying it has adjustable airflow.

The draw is very smooth with both coil heads with the 0.2ohm coil head giving a medium restricted direct lung vape while the 0.3ohm a slightly more restricted lung hit. The flavour from both coils is very good from the off and match each other but preferring slightly more restriction and being able to get the warmth i like at just 35W i preferred the 0.3ohm coil which improved battery life compared to the 0.2ohm coil head which i found best at 50W, the Vinci coils also being compatible is a big pro also.

I love the light switch style fire button and the Axon Chip does it's stuff, the device fires insanely quickly at set wattage. For a pod mod there is plenty of functionality with a seven day puff monitor, various power modes and display colour customisation. The pod fits very securely and the clear pod allows the visibility of the e-liquid at all times, while not having the option to fit your own drip tip is a con the fixed one is both very comfortable while the bore suits the draw perfectly.

Aesthetically pleasing
Portable size and ergonomic
10 Colour/design options
Very good build quality
Smooth Airflow
Very good purpose made DL device
Includes 2 pods
Includes 2 different coils
Flavour very good both coils
0.2ohm coil head medium restricted DL draw
0.3ohm coil head tighter restricted DL draw
Can clearly see e-liquid in the pod at all times
Pod fits extremely securely
Fill method well executed
Vinci coils compatible
2A charge rate (i found 1.5A but still good, 1hour 15mins to charge)
2000mAh in-built battery (suspect slightly overrated but still gives good life comparable to similar devices)
Charging feedback displayed
Micro USB port positioned on side of the device
Various power modes
7 Day puff monitoring system
Coil recognition giving best at wattage parameters
Display customisation
Sharp, bright, well laid out display giving plenty of information
User friendly menu system
Battery status bar and given as percentage
Wattage adjustment scrolls at nice speed 5W to 80W
Adjust in 0.5W increments single press, 1W increments button held down
Light switch style fire button
Fires insanely quickly at set wattage
Supports pass-through
Supports firmware upgrades

Cons

Non adjustable airflow
Top-fill would be preferred
Type B USB
Only for DL vapers
Variable Voltage only adjusts up to 4.0V
Suspect no voltage boost but isn't an issue with supplied coil Heads
Proprietary fixed drip tip (is comfortable though and suits draw)
Suspect both charge rate and capacity slightly overrated (but still compares favourably to similar devices)
Frame is fingerprint magnet

I would once again like to thank Jessica from Vaporesso for supplying the Target PM80 Sub-ohm Pod Mod Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines