Squid Industries Double Barrel V3

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the Double Barrel V3 from Squid Industries. The Squid Industries Double Barrel V3 was supplied for the purpose of this review by Chelly from Newvaping.

Introduction

Squid Industries flagship device the Double Barrel has been constantly updated after listening to users and here we have just about a perfected mod with V3. Improvements include an upgraded 510, larger diameter allowing for up to 25mm atty's without overhang, hinged battery door, flush sitting screen, more flexible contacts, sealed top section to protect from leaking atty's and finally more colour options including some hydro drip designs. V3 maintains the same loved ergonomic double barrel form factor along with the multi function dial fire button. The 150W dual 18650 Double Barrel V3 with it's high end build quality is more than worthy of a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 Double Barrel V3 mod
2 Mod guards
1 user manual
1 Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Double Barrel V3 comes in simple but sturdy cardboard box packaging and on opening i was met by a very aesthetically pleasing device with both finish and form factor catching my eye. I received the Inferno version that in my opinion looks stunning, at the risk of showing a feminine side i also really like the Flower of Life version but there are plenty of both plain and Hydro drip (?) designs to suit most!

The device just looks and feels quality and is small for a dual battery device basically being 2 tubes joined together when it comes to form factor. The device is heavy for it's size but reassuringly so and the powder coated paint finish is quite immaculate, hopefully it will stand the test of time.

As far as describing the device i feel this is an occasion to let the pictures do the talking!

İmageİmageİmageİmageİmageİmage

Double Barrel V3 Specs and Features:

Size: 43 x 25 x 92mm
Variable Wattage: 5-150W
Battery Type: 2 x 18650 battery (not included)
Display: 0.47 inch OLED display
Mode: VW
Material: Alloy
A New Version of Double Barrel Box MOD
High-end MOD with Simple Design and Easy Operation
Flat Top OLED Display & Multi-functional Fire Button
Perfect Combination of Visual and Hand Feeling
Dual 18650 Batteries with 150W Max Output
Connected Battery Door
Multiple Protections
Compatible with 25mm Atomizer
Strong alloy constructed and powder-coated for a durable finish
Spring-loaded 510 thread
Colour/Design: Samurai, Flower of Life, Inferno, Chieftain, Champagne Grey, Army Green, Navy Blue, Arctic Camo, Black Obsidian

İmageİmage

The Display

The V3 has a bigger display than the previous version and is sharp but behind a tinted cover, i have had no issues reading the display but then it's January so no chance of seeing how it fairs in "bright" daylight. The screen also sits flush and is watertight sealed so no potential leaking e-liquid will get underneath the screen cover.

Top left we have a vertical battery status bar and then to the right the wattage. Bottom left displays the resistance and then finally bottom right we have the voltage. When the fire button is pressed the display is at it's brightest before dimming 3 seconds after releasing the fire button, 20 seconds later the device goes into stealth mode. Firing from stealth mode brings no delay whatsoever and the display immediately comes back on bright.

Fitting the Batteries

The Double Barrel accommodates dual 18650 batteries now via a hinged door that uses just a protruding metal section as a fixed latch. For these type of doors to work we need movement when no batteries are installed to allow the door to be slid in and out of the locked position so if there was no play the door simply wouldn't work so the loose floppy nature of the door without batteries isn't a con but just a need.

We now have spring loaded contacts at the bottom of the tubes (yet another improvement) and the door uses the pressure of the tight fit of the batteries on the latch to secure in place and absolutely no issues, very secure and no movement whatsoever.

I have seen colour versions where orientation is labelled in White (good job!) but i can only review what i receive and the orientation on my Inferno version is both small and Black on Black, please can we have it White on all versions? Also the door fits flush which is great but then we have vertical grooves to help slide the door open before lifting up and securing shut that protrude so it's these grooves the device actually sit on making it a bit wobbly!

Multipurpose Fire Button

The Fire button is also a dial for wattage adjustment and this is where a quality made device like the Double Barrel could of fallen down but the button feels as good quality as the rest of the device.

The button has a very stiff click which again i both like and feels of quality, it also gives me confidence it isn't going to fire in my pocket and although we have a lock feature for the dial again it moves with a really nice tolerance and although i never lock it i haven't had the wattage move of it's own accord.

No USB Port

As the Double Barrel V3 is a very simple adjustable wattage only device without any other features then there will be no need for upgrades and as the normal recommendation is not to charge batteries in a device unless it's your only option it makes perfect sense to not have a USB port.

However it does mean the device is not suitable for those that don't charge their batteries externally or maybe it's a good reason to finally get a charger!

Navigating The Device

The Double Barrel V3 is a very simple wattage only device which just has a couple of features. The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and off, the device both boots up and shut's down with incredible speed.

Once on 3 clicks of the fire button flips the screen and another 3 clicks flips it back. Four clicks of the fire button locks the dial but the device will still fire a further 4 clicks unlocks the dial, and that's it!

You use the dial to adjust the wattage up and down which adjusts in 1W increments between 5W and 150W top wattage, it doesn't round robin.

İmageİmage

My Experience And Thoughts!

Just a damn good power only device that fires as quick as is needed, wattage's and resistance readings seem accurate and has an achievable top wattage, non of this 200+ wattage "BS"!

Although i do like my dual battery devices for the extra capacity i find myself using single battery mods most of the time for their portability but the beauty of the Double Barrel is it's almost single battery size and so ergonomic firing with either hand and with either finger of thumb that despite it's weight i found it great for using out and about.

I love the quality feel of the device and the combo fire button dial for wattage adjustment. Of course if you are a TC user or prefer devices with all the bells and whistles features this isn't going to be for you but if you are after a simple high performing power only device with high build quality then this could be just what you have been looking for!

Not supporting on-board charging i understand but there are those that only charge in the device and really for such a simple device not being firmware upgradeable is a non-issue.

V3 now supports up to 25mm atty's without overhang which is another upgrade and finally it's worth mentioning how efficient i have been finding the device with battery life being better than average. What most impresses me with this device is that Squid Industries listened to feedback and improved cons that were brought up with the previous version, cracking job!

İmageİmage

High build quality
Solid device
Plenty of plain and design options
Hydro dip designs
Double barrel cylindrical form factor
Ergonomic
Portable
High quality combo fire button dial
Dual battery device
Realistic 150W top wattage
Simple device
Sealed flush sitting screen
Efficient, good battery life
Boots on and off very quickly
Fires instantly from stealth
Wattage's and resistant readings seem accurate
Batteries fit very securely
Wattage adjustment using dial (1W increments)
Fits up to 25mm atty's without overhang

Cons

Heavy for size
Black on Black battery marked orientation with my Inferno version
Tinted screen cover, may be difficult to see display in bright daylight (can't check in January)
A little wobbly, due to protruding grooves on battery door
No TC or/and bells and whistles features (for those that like a simple device)
No on-board charging (only an issue if you only charge in the device)

I would once again like to thank Chelly from Newvaping for supplying the Squid Industries Double Barrel V3 for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines