WISMEC PREVA DNA Kit

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the Preva DNA Kit from Wismec. The WISMEC PREVA DNA Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

Introduction

The Wismec Preva DNA Kit is the premium version of the also released standard Preva kit which houses the DNA Go board making it a direct competitor to the Orion. On first looks the Preva DNA has plenty to trump the original Orion DNA Go but then seems a little outdated stacked up against the Orion Plus leaving me a little confused. The Preva DNA is a very good device but just leaves me feeling it needed updating before release to take on the Orion Plus rather than the original Orion which would make it more relevant, but let's take a look anyway!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x PREVA DNA Battery
1 x PREVA SS316 Dual 0.25ohm Cartridge (Pre-installed)
1 x PREVA KTR 0.5ohm Cartridge
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warning Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Preva DNA came in nice sturdy clear plastic packaging and even when packaged looks a classy premium product. For a pod/AIO device the Preva DNA is heavy but in a good way as it just feels and looks high quality. I will leave most of it's description down to the pictures but must say it has an Aegis look to me and i really do like it both aesthetically and ergonomically.

Preva DNA Specs and Features:

Parameters:

Size: 96mm * 43mm * 18.6mm
Battery Type: Built-in 1050mAh Rechargeable Battery
Cartridge Capacity: 2ml
Maximum Wattage Output: 20W
Coil Type: 0.25ohm DL Coil and 0.5ohm MTL Coil
Three Power Outputs: Low (Yellow), Medium (Green), High (Blue)
Multiple Protection: Timeout Protection, Low Voltage Protection, Short Circuit Protection
Charging Port: MicroUSB Port-1A Max Current

Features:

• Proprietary Evolv DNA GO Board
• Support advanced power adjustment with maximum support 20W wattage output
• Highly durable metal construction with visually striking carbon-fiber designs
• Responsive bottom adjustment button with corresponding LED lights
• Intuitive LED Battery Life Indicator
• 0.25ohm DL and 0.5ohm MTL coil option to meet your different demands for vaping.
• Dynamic dual airflow control and Low/High resistance warning
• Convenient Sliding Top-Fill Design
• Multiple protection mechanisms ensuring vaping safety

Colour: Carbon Fiber

The Pod/Cartridge

Included is 2 different pods which are closed so the coil can't be replaced which for me is a big con as i would much sooner replace just the coil when required rather than the whole pod. The pods are tinted but the e-liquid level can be easily seen along with the large amount of cotton used for wicking. The pods have adjustable airflow and the drip tip is a standard 510 fit so you can use your own if you prefer, also the pods have a neat slide open top-fill method i will cover in the next section. The pods look identical but are clearly labelled on the base, the pre-installed pod hosts a 0.25ohm SS316L dual parallel coil for DL, the other hosts a Kanthal 0.50ohm coil for MTL.

Looking at the base of the pod we can see the 2 indented contacts to one side and the entire base section is metallic. The pods hold 2ml of e-liquid but there are also 3ml pods available.

İmageİmageİmage

Adjustable Airflow and Filling

Underneath where the 510 drip tip gets fitted we have an airflow control ring with dual cyclops which gives quite good adjustability, the ring is quite loose but doesn't move on it's own accord so i quite like it as adjustments can be made with little effort.

The top of the pod also has a grooved section that can be slid open to reveal a fair sized fill port. The samples that were sent out had reviewers liking the fill method but not the membrane which meant needle tipped bottles were needed but Wismec listened and the retail version pods do not have a membrane making filling very quick and mess free, excellent job!

İmageİmage
İmageİmage

Fitting the pod

Unlike the Orion pods that get fitted via a clip the pods on the Preva DNA just get secured via magnets but there is very little play while removing the pod is still very easy.

looking inside the pod bay we can see towards one side the spring loaded contacts then a central large magnet and 2 smaller magnets in 2 of the corners.
If there is one complaint it's only the very top of the pod that protrudes out of the device so to check your liquid level the pod needs removing from the device.

Navigating The Preva DNA

The device is very user friendly and comes set-up with 3 power settings for each pod out the box plus Replay is also set-up for use with the 0.25 SS316L coil. Down one side of the device we have a large fire button top and then a column of chevrons. Most of the chevrons are grooves and purely there for aesthetics but the bottom chevron is a chevron shaped mode button and the chevron above is the LED indicator.

The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and either action is confirmed by the LED flashing White 4 times. To alter settings you just need to use the mode button, click once which will light the LED in the current setting colour and then each further click cycles through the options. Once you have the setting you want just press the fire button to vape, while the fire button is pressed the LED indicates your current setting. The out the box settings are:

0.5ohm Kanthal Pod

Yellow = 10W
Green = 12W
Blue = 14W

0.25ohm SS216L Pod

Yellow = 14W
Green = 16W
Blue = 20W

When using the SS316L pod then you can also go into Replay mode which is done by when you take a puff you feel was ideal then hold the mode button down until it lights up in the Replay indication colour and then each future puff will duplicate the puff you liked until Replay is turned off. To turn off Replay again just hold down the mode button until the LED lights in the colour of the setting you are were using before turning Replay on.

The first thing those that use Escribe will probably want to do is change the indication colour of Replay as out the box Wismec in their wisdom have set Replay as Green which is also the same Colour used for the middle normal setting.

The Indicator LED also shows battery status which can be checked by double clicking the fire button which causes the LED to light in the current status colour, the indications are:

Red = 0 - 30%
Yellow = 30 - 70%
Green = 70 - 95%
Aqua = 95 - 100%

When charging the device indications are also shown, the Preva DNA charges at 1A which allows the 1050mAh battery to be charged in just over an hour which is very good! Finally the device has plenty of protections which are indicated by various flashes of the LED.

Protections:

Over-charge Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over 7s Protection
Over-current Protection
Low Voltage Protection
Dry Burn Protection
Temperature Protection

Replay Mode

Replay is still quite a new feature which was introduced by Evolv when they released the DNA 75C chipset and has been met with great enthusiasm. Some say it's temp control, others say it's something quite different and to be honest all i know is temperature plays a big part in it's calculations and it includes anti dry hit technology. Replay is a flavour based feature which you choose to save a recorded puff when the vape and flavour is just how you like it, once a recorded puff is "Replayed" it gives the same recorded puff over and over so if certain recorded calculations can't be met will compensate in other areas of the calculation so the flavour and vape quality should remain the same. Once setup (which is simple) Replay is a pain free user friendly feature unlike full temp control while still giving the same anti dry hit technology. Like the Orion on the Preva DNA it doesn't even need setting up, that's already been done so it can be used straight out the box. I love the replay feature and rarely use any of my DNA devices other than in Replay mode.

Using With Escribe

The great thing about having the DNA Go board is the device can be used with the Escribe DNA Go software allowing all the settings and many other things to be altered to tailor the device to perform how you want it. With the device being fairly new to me for now i have simply altered the Replay indicator colour to Magenta so it's a different colour to the middle power setting but i will probably up the wattage settings for the 0.5ohm Kanthal coil as i am finding the vape a bit on the cool side.

How it Vapes? And Thoughts!

Mixed really, comparing the device to the original Orion this is better without a doubt, just better executed but then i feel it's also a missed opportunity. The device was no doubt designed to go head to head with the Orion and better it and i feel that has been achieved but if while a device is being designed the competition release a better version (Orion Plus) surely you should also aim higher and delay release while improvements are made, that wasn't done which has resulted in a really good device but falls short of the 5 settings and replaceable coils the Orion Plus offers.

Just judging the Preva DNA on it's own merits it's possibly the best device i have used from Wismec and build quality is high end. I love it's ease of use and both pods give cracking flavour and good longevity. As long as you don't chain vape any e-liquid can be used but with all that cotton i found if chain vaping is how you vape i wouldn't go higher than 60% VG.

The 0.5ohm Kanthal pod really gives a cool vape which could be improved by altering the settings within Escribe but of course you have no Replay option with this pod and as all draws can be achieved (medium MTL, loose MTL and restricted direct lung) with both pods i personally would only be buying the 0.25ohm SS pods in future which give a cracking vape and allow me to use the Replay feature.

I love the fill method and that i could use my own 510 if i wanted but for the Preva DNA to go from being a very good device to possibly the best Pod/AIO system Wismec would need to bring out pods that accommodate replaceable coils and a firmware update would be needed to give more settings options and slightly higher top wattage.

I found the battery needed charging once during the day but then i vape a lot and comparable to similar devices battery life is very good also charging in just over an hour is more than acceptable.

High end build quality
DNA Go board
Alter settings using Escribe
Replay feature
Replay set-up out the box
Aesthetically pleasing and Portable
3 Settings per pod
2 Different pod options
Medium MTL, loose MTL or Restricted direct lung (both pods)
Adjustable airflow
Excellent slide open top-fill method
Standard 510 drip-tip fitting (can use own)
Supplied drip-tip very comfortable
3ml pods available
1A charging (charges in just over an hour)
Good battery life
Settings indications
Battery Status indication
Multiple protections
No leaking whatsoever
Pods fit securely

Cons

Coils can't be replaced in Pods
0.5ohm Pod can't be used with Replay
0.5ohm coil gives cool vape
3 settings per pod compared to 5 settings with Orion Plus (comparison)
Out the box Replay indication colour the same as medium setting
Need to remove pod to see juice level

I would once again like to thank Ella from Sourcemore for supplying the WISMEC PREVA DNA Kit for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines