Asmodus Barrage RDA

timwis

Hi Vapor Talk members, In this review i take a look at the Barrage RDA from Asmodus. The Barrage RDA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Saly from Asmodus.

Introduction

The Barrage RDA is a collaboration between Asmodus and Vaping with Thesis and a very interesting innovative design. The RDA has airflow that is hidden within the heat sink fins and deflects off the bottom of the deck to "barrage" the coil with air. The concept is supposed to give the ultimate single coil performance giving copious amount of cloud as well as impressive flavour from the same RDA. So is the Barrage both a cloud chasing, flavour rocking RDA that's going to stand out from the crowd, let's have a look!

In The Box

Contents:

Asmodus Barrage RDA
2x ONI pre-built Triple Fused Clapton coils
2x Allen key
BF Squonk 510 pin
Spare parts bag
User manual

Aesthetics

I always look forward to see what packaging an Asmodus product will arrive in as they like to be different, and this time around the RDA comes in a very sturdy triangular box with shallow lid. I received the Rainbow version which comes with a Goon style wide bore delrin 810 drip tip sitting up top, the colour options are Black, Gold, Rainbow and Silver.
The Barrage is very easy to describe as it's only feature is 2 heat sink fins at the top of the sleeve before tapering towards the drip tip, the rest of the sleeve is plain. The base has branding and safety marks printed in Black and a Gold plated, slightly protruding standard 510 pin which can be removed with an Allen key. The machining is very clean and the build quality is a very high standard.

İmageİmageİmage

Barrage Specs and Features:

Size: 24mm diameter
Single coil rebuildable deck
Drip or squonk compatible – solid and BF 510 pins included
Stainless steel body
5.3mm deep juice well
Non-adjustable top airflow
810 Goon style drip tip
Gold plated 510 pins
Gold plated coil clamp screws
3.5mmx1.4mm post holes
Coil positioning guides in deck
Thread: 510
Colour: Black, Gold, Rainbow, Silver

The Barrage's Various Parts

The Barrage consists of an 810 Goon fitting drip tip and a one piece sleeve, then we have the base section housing the single coil deck. The Barrage comes pre-installed with a standard pin but a BF pin is included as well as 2 Allen keys, spare o-rings and screws. Also included is 2 triple fused claptons which are Kanthal(26Gx3+38G) but no cotton. Of course you can use your own Goon fit 810 if you prefer(me thinks another of Nick's stabwood drip tips will be making an appearance!).

İmageİmage

The Airflow

The airflow inlets are hidden within the heat sink fins and non adjustable. When looking inside the sleeve we can see a cavity either side that act like chute's which funnel incoming air straight down until it comes into contact with two angled slopes milled into the deck that then directs the air towards the bottom of the deck. Some of this air will skim the side of the coil on the way down (how much will depend on the size of the coil) while most of it will bounce of the deck underneath the coil and come upwards giving bottom airflow that will wrap around the coil. On both sides at the bottom of the inside of the sleeve we have a small indent and on the lip of the base 2 corresponding notches so the sleeve locks in place with everything lined up.

İmageİmage

The Deck And Build

The way we have just got angled milled slopes on the deck for airflow and with it being a 24mm deck i can't think of a single coil deck that has so much room. We have 2 posts diagonal to each other that have angled side openings (act the same as having a lip) which are fastened down from above via the hex screws. The terminals are huge compared to on most decks and with all that room you can fit a very large coil if you wish. There are two curved cutouts in the wall of the base so a coiling rod can be placed to help guide where to position the coil or just set it centrally by eye.
Simply place each coil lead in the terminals and hold the coil in place while tightening down the screws. Once done you can use a coiling rod or fit for purpose tool to improve the position of your coil if needed and then snip your coil leads. Wicking is straightforward and the Barrage has quite a deep well, just make sure you don't place any of your cotton obscuring the milled airflow slopes.
I did 2 builds first using one of the supplied Oni coils with the BF pin fitted and then a second build using a coil supplied by The Doctor which was an Alien 3*28+36 using Juice Junkie Ni80 with an ID of 3.0mm.

My Experience Using The Barrage RDA

The barrage is innovative yet quite a simple design making this one of my shortest reviews. This RDA laughs at the usual concepts that encourages flavour and likes dual build wattage thrown at it despite being quite restrictive. There is only one con i have for the RDA which is the glaringly obvious fact that the airflow can't be adjusted. As mentioned the airflow is more restrictive than most RDA's so not for those that like a Goon like airflow wide open but despite this i was at 70W where i got flavour for days and copious amounts of vapor to match. I did take it right up to 90W(it's just a single coil RDA) and the flavour still rocked with no sign of the juice cooking. I'm baffled with the restrictive airflow why it's lapping up the wattage so comfortably and why it's giving such good flavour without all the usual flavour encouraging attributes, but the Barrage really is both a cloud producer and flavour machine all in one. The very spacious deck is so simple to build on and both the room and large terminals will allow for a big coil if that's what you like. As mentioned the pictured build i did was using one of the Doctors coils and i will be switching the pins to go back to the BF pin but keeping this build for many a re-wick! The Barrage works great with the BF pin installed having an airflow design which makes it very leak resistant as well as having quite a deep juice well. Although it has a very friendly BF design it worked equally well just dripping liquid straight down the drip tip. The last thing to mention is again looking at the design i was expecting some turbulence but the airflow is as smooth as i would expect from a honeycomb airflow design.

Another one of Nick's handcrafted Stabwood drip tips looking stunning on top of the Barrage RDA!

(Check them out!)

Nice triangular packaging
Cleanly machined and very good build quality
Aesthetics entirely subjective (i like the look)
Heat sink fins
Airflow hidden from outside
Goon fitting drip tip
Innovative airflow deflecting off deck bottom before surrounding the coil
Very spacious 24mm build deck
Very large terminals
Very easy build
Leak resistant
Equally suited for using BF or dripping
Smooth, restrictive lung hit
Bags of flavour
Cloud to match
Included BF pin
2 Included Coils
Locking sleeve

Cons

Non Adjustable Airflow

I would once again like to thank Saly from Asmodus for supplying the Barrage RDA for the purpose of this review.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines