Before We All Panic.....

Bebop

Nice article, but my thoughts are it is a bit light on pointing fingers at what's/who's driving the vape persecution.  I smoked 50 years, was introduced to vape and vaped 4+ years till I quit everything about 2 years ago.  Even though I'm no longer an active participant in the vape community, this vilification of vapers/ing still has me pretty pissed.  I understand the anguish and hurt around the sickness and deaths, but a knee jerk reaction to ban everything is just plain wrong.  From everything I've read or heard, the culprit seems to be a new ingredient to the vape scene, a type of vitamin E.  Which brings the question ..... how to successfully ban just one ingredient.  Instead, the answer seems to just ban everything.  That should make tobacco and pharma happy.  Stupid!! 

If I were still vaping I would be stocking up on my fav flavors. Just in case. 

Edited by aufin

Well,  I think it's pretty clear this hysteria on banning flavors has nothing to do with  the recent illnesses. 

We have "investigators" (apparently incompetent, btw) dragging their feet on stepping UP and telling the truth while this hysteria takes hold and anti tobacco groups camping on this hysteria to launch us all back in to the dark ages of smoking. 

I actually saw a lady on the news state, as if a fact, that vaping leads to cigarette smoking. Of course, this wasnt backed up with a shred of statistics or any evidence. 

IMHO, banning vaping will be a huge setback for public health. 

Bebop, you're probably right ..... the banning has nothing to do with the illnesses, BUT, the illness situation is the driving force behind this round of vape demagoguery.  The general public is so under informed about vaping that anything negative about vaping is ammunition.  And someone dieing while associated with vaping is a huge piece of ammunition that can and is being used to fuel the ignorant anti-vapers. It's just wrong!!! My feeling is the tobacco and pharma lobbyists are really enjoying this round of hysteria. According to my newspaper this morning, Michigan and New York have already banned flavored vape gear way ahead of any thoughtful Investigation on the matter.  I'm still pissed.  Had occasion to see a friend yesterday who is a vaper and the conversation eventually turned to the current vape issue.  She was "scared to vape" because of the filtered information she was hearing.  Like I said,  ignorant people making uninformed decisions.  

I’m curious if lawsuits will intervene in any banning process.

the tobacco industry is heavily invested in vaping since the FDA basically handed the industry back to them then sat on their hands. 

I’m so grateful that I found vaping when I did.  I think it saved my life (and my wife).  We have been totally smoke free since day one almost 6 years ago.  I also think I’m lucky that I invested the time and effort to understand the technology and learn to build coils, make juice and safely practice and customize the vaping experience for us.  Today we are practically independent and I have enough gear and resources to last for years to come that will thwart any “ban”.  

But I am lucky and I feel very sad for anyone new to vaping who may miss this opportunity to get out of the grip of tobacco.

We live in strange times where junk science and nanny state politics is throwing the baby out with the bath water.  It’s a shame. To add insult to injury, the politicians and nanny groups want to hand it all back over to pharma.  

I personally want to thank all the vaping advocates who came before me, including Christopher and all the rest who put vaping on the map and gave us an out at an opportune time.  I will be forever grateful. 

Was out with my boss and another friend from work today My boss brought up the recent vaping deaths Frankie said it was only a matter of time got up and went to get a drink I told my boss what little I knew about the deaths and vaping ald told him they didnt die from the stuff I vape and about the THC AND Vitamin E he looked at me and said WHAT I said yeah people putting bad chit out there

14 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Good for you, Cany

there is a lot of bad chit out there. Right now.  I still have hope for The future 

Mee too people are only hearing the bad stupid chit thats going and they have no clue how much vaping has helped so many people Its sad

From CBS news this time: 

E-cigarette panic is ruining "biggest public health opportunity" in 120 years, scientist says

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vaping-deaths-us-blowing-single-biggest-public-health-opportunity-in-120-years-as-debate-e-cigarettes-scientist/

Now, even though still pretty rare, we're starting to see another point of view other than, "OHMYGODVAPINGISGOINGTOKILLEVERYBODY!"  😄

As soon as payday rolls around I'll be stock piling my favorite juice. Lord knows I've got enough hardware to outlast a zombie apocalypse and I can build my own coils if needed. Not having enough drip tips will never be an issue, however.  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Tam said:

From CBS news this time: 

E-cigarette panic is ruining "biggest public health opportunity" in 120 years, scientist says

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vaping-deaths-us-blowing-single-biggest-public-health-opportunity-in-120-years-as-debate-e-cigarettes-scientist/

Now, even though still pretty rare, we're starting to see another point of view other than, "OHMYGODVAPINGISGOINGTOKILLEVERYBODY!"  😄

As soon as payday rolls around I'll be stock piling my favorite juice. Lord knows I've got enough hardware to outlast a zombie apocalypse and I can build my own coils if needed. Not having enough drip tips will never be an issue, however.  :lol:

Jeeshhhh Tam I would of thought by now you would be making your own drip tips 😂🤣

Here is how I think it will go.

Any "ban" will temporary.

In the meantime, regulation will go in to full swing.  Regulations and taxes will go in to place that will be designed to recover the loss of tax dollars from traditional smoking and transfer those taxes and resulting revenues to support and alleviate the debacle from the mishandling of the MSA. 

Flavors and vape products will return at a great price increase,  tougher regulations for sale and distribution and vape products will take their place next to flavored alcohols, marijuana products etc.  and we will have another notch in the belt of government imposing taxes without representation ....... and we know where that goes. 😁

Talked to an employee at the local Vape shop yesterday (first chance I had to get there since Heir Cuomo banned flavors), I live in Central NY, Rome to be exact. According to what the employee told me Bebop is pretty close to the truth. The employee told me that from what he understands the ban on flavors will be approx. 90 days. When the state will look to see if there is a swing in the purchases of juices and cigarettes, if there is a downturn in juice sales and an upswing in cigs, they may change the ban, or keep it going. This is all hearsay at this point from 1 vape store employee.

The way I see it, I have less than a week to stock up on juice and find out if I can still get the ingredients to start making my own. The worst case I guess I can go back to the smelly, expensive guaranteed to kill me analogs. I have gotten down to 1.5mg of nic in my juice, but can't seem to make the last step to zero. Good luck to those that can!