Emergency coil construction

Need help.

In the jungles of PNG. 

Halfway through hitch and have realised I didn't bring replacement coils.

One coil down. Only one left. Have 2 weeks to go.

Kangertech Cupti. CLOCC Coils. NiCr dead. SS dying.

Have oil rig. Medical facility. Kitchen, for supplies only.

Need MacGyver thoughts to recoil CLOCC.

Medical cotton balls... Prob bleached. Boil and use as wicks?

What wire should I look for at the rig? Any ideas?

Thanks

Not familiar with your set up but one former member said he used bread ties (twisty ties), stripped the paper off and used that. He said it worked for him. Might be an idea?

Yes, boil the medical cotton balls to use as wick. Let dry thoroughly before using.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Tam said:

Not familiar with your set up but one former member said he used bread ties (twisty ties), stripped the paper off and used that. He said it worked for him. Might be an idea?

Yes, boil the medical cotton balls to use as wick. Let dry thoroughly before using.

Good luck!

I saw that post somewhere but thought the resistance may be too low. I can afford 6 turns in the housing.... I'm going to check for some fuse wire with the leccy this morn.

4 hours ago, Bebop said:

remove cotton

gently burn off old coil and clean (Heating, then rapid dip in cold water)

rewick 

should buy you a week

No can do bro. It's a CLOCC. Internal coil. Removal means destruction. Thanks though mate.

18 hours ago, Sheaman said:

No can do bro. It's a CLOCC. Internal coil. Removal means destruction. Thanks though mate.

very interesting.   I see now it's a vertical coil.  but why can't you just pull out the cotton and then stuff some more in there? I know, easier said than done but it might be a fun project....

it's probably a press fit top on that coil so would be tough to get to.....

9 hours ago, Bebop said:

very interesting.   I see now it's a vertical coil.  but why can't you just pull out the cotton and then stuff some more in there? I know, easier said than done but it might be a fun project....

it's probably a press fit top on that coil so would be tough to get to.....

That's right man. I opened her up and the NiCr had burned through. I have YouTube's replacing them and it's doable. You switch it to vertical and put the cotton through. I got my hands on some 22g 304 stainless today from the mechanic... Tried it and pre insertion it was 0.9 ohms. I put it in and it says "low resistance". I don't get it. Maybe it's the chip in the mod. But I have used 0.5 ohm SS and the NiCr is 1.5ohm. doesn't make sense to me that it didn't work... Hmm unless it was shorting inside I guess??!

The leccy is going to look for smaller wire tomoz.

9 hours ago, Sheaman said:

That's right man. I opened her up and the NiCr had burned through. I have YouTube's replacing them and it's doable. You switch it to vertical and put the cotton through. I got my hands on some 22g 304 stainless today from the mechanic... Tried it and pre insertion it was 0.9 ohms. I put it in and it says "low resistance". I don't get it. Maybe it's the chip in the mod. But I have used 0.5 ohm SS and the NiCr is 1.5ohm. doesn't make sense to me that it didn't work... Hmm unless it was shorting inside I guess??!

The leccy is going to look for smaller wire tomoz.

I believe the .9 measurement was probably wrong. To get .9 ohms using 22g 304 you would need to do 30 wraps using a 3mm id even using a 5mm id you would need 20 wraps. (that is according to steam) If you checked the resistance using a multimeter you would have to subtract the resistance of the leads, which can vary depending on the quality, and the length of the leads.

If nothing else use the wire out of a twisty tie, just strip the plastic off of it.(seen that in another post)

Edited by FXRich