Keep an eye on your GeekVape Gbox. Hazardous failure mode!

This morning I went to refill the bottle in one of my G-Box squonkers. Pulled the bottle only, filled it, and replaced it. When I closed the battery/bottle door I gave it a firm push to ensure it was latched and the device started constantly firing. The control PCB was not turned on. I removed the batteries, let the unit cool and replaced them. Again continuous firing. I fully disassembled the device and found no signs of faulty components or wiring. The internal area was void of moisture. I have sent emails to both GeekVape US and China.

Obviously this is a potentially hazardous failure mode that could cause damage to users and property. The firing was intense and heated the entire upper portion of the unit rapidly.

45 minutes ago, Tam said:

I'm glad you weren't hurt, Walt! Thanks for the heads up. Can you imagine if this had happened to a not so experienced vaper or someone who panicked?

You nailed that!  Exactly!  This scenario has the potential to be catastrophic.  I also wonder if there is a chance this could happen while the mod is unattended.  Glad it wasn't in my pocket.  That would have just burned my arse!  

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to read a diff article about g box squonker that fails. glad that you were not hurt. When I read about this, I started researching about hazards in vaping. I watched videos regarding 18650 batteries. I checked on g box squonker 's specification and reviews, though I have not seen an actual squonker, I saw that max output watt is 200. and it says it works with 2 18650 batteries, does this mean that an 18650 batteries produces 100 watts?

48 minutes ago, Blair Vernon said:

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to read a diff article about g box squonker that fails. glad that you were not hurt. When I read about this, I started researching about hazards in vaping. I watched videos regarding 18650 batteries. I checked on g box squonker 's specification and reviews, though I have not seen an actual squonker, I saw that max output watt is 200. and it says it works with 2 18650 batteries, does this mean that an 18650 batteries produces 100 watts?

Thanks!  I have to apologize up front, I know of no way to simply answer your question.  Regulated mods, as apposed to mech mods, are fairly sophisticated devices.  It is common for a two battery mod to be able to produce up to and even a little more than 200 watts but that is conditional.  The batteries along with the electronics in the unit achieve this together.  It really would not be accurate to say that each battery produces 100 watts.  Most single battery regulated mods achieve somewhere around 75 watts.

Update:

GeekVape came through and I believe is doing the right thing.  I have been informed that engineers are looking into the incident.  That is the best I can anticipate.  They took care of the case without challenge or exception to my investigating the problem as well.   

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, obdrox said:

Hi i am glad your ok mate it is pretty scary when this kind of events happens without a warning, i can only how scary it can be i am vaping for many years now but didnt face this kind of situation but thanks for the heads up man. 

Please stop inserting spammy links into your posts. If you persist, you may find yourself banned from the forum.